• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modular Speakers Enclosure and Front panel Material

Zbloy

Hi!
I am an industrial design student from Slovakia, and i am designing and building a sealed baffle bluetooth speaker for my graduation project. It is intended to be modular, so that you can either listen in a sealed baffle 2 midrange speakers configuration, or a ( 1 midrange speaker )x2 open baffle configuariton. My intent with this project is to provide a product that can be used to get good audio quality and decent bass on the go, and when you settle down in a hotel room or are anywhere where a open baffle setup is more suited, you can have the better transient response and flatter frequency response that open baffle speakers offer.

I havent yet decided what drivers i am going to use , since i am only in the plannig phase of the project. But im thinking about some with Qts of around 0.45 like the SP-6/150PA, not sure thougt for this build it is an important part of the build since i need a driver that performs well in both configurations... Would love to get recomended some if you got any in mind:D

But before i decide on the driver, the biggest problem i am facing right now is the front panel and baffle material. I am deciding whether to make the front panel material out of a fabric or an elastic material to allow the speakers to be "stretched out" when in a open baffle configuration, so the user can get the most out of their drivers. The idea is that the construction would be adjustable to a certain point to make a sort of air breaker to separate air and delay the wall reflections. The speaker would be mounted on a mdf or a wooden rectangle and would be suspended by the material. In the sealed baffle configuration the elastic material could act as an damping, but i am not sure though i lack experience in this field so im open to suggestions;

Is this worth a try or is this futile effort? Are there any materials suitable for this or does the stretching of the material affect the sound? What speakers would be good for this project? If you know or have some idea what could work, please let me know, it would help me a lot.

Pat

Top Bottom