• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are paying a lot for that cabinet silliness, same for Magico and Acora ... well braced MDF is just fine to control resonance

I'm sympathetic to that point of view.

However, anecdotally, I owned the flagship Thiel 3.7 speakers and then bought the slightly smaller Thiel 2.7s to replace them. The 2.7s are not much smaller, have close to the same frequency range, and use the same coax drivers. I had both speakers at my house to compare for a long time before I finally sold the 3.7s. While the 2.7s had the same general character, I constantly noted a slight lack of finesse compared to the 3.7s. By that I mean, the 3.7s sounded both a bit more finely detailed and "relaxed" and more revealing. So a vocal for instance, hard panned to the left speaker sound on the 3.7s like a bit more ambience around the voice had been dug out from the recording, with more fine timbral nuance, and the voice would float free of the speaker a little better. Generally the 3.7 would "disappear" better as an apparent sound source, so the soundstage just started at the plain of the speaker and proceeded straight back from there depending on the recording. Where the 2.7 would have a slight more of a U-shaped soundstage with the same recordings, such that images towards the sides would tend to "glom" in to the speakers just a little bit more.

It wasn't until later I found out that one of the main differences between those speakers is that the 3.7 had a top and front baffle made of thick aluminum to control resonances. So the drivers were mounted in that thick aluminum front. For the 2.7 to keep costs down they lost the aluminum top and used MDF for the baffle instead. I've wondered if that accounted for the differences I describe above.

klangfilm

I found a quote on a Norwegian forum (which also dates the speaker to 1957, when several was purchased to the new Odda cinema where one remains): "OK, so it isnt a commercial product, but the Siemens Bionor horn loaded cinema speaker made by Klangfilm in Germany and dating back circa 1960 was for me a fantastic experience...one of the greatest speakers of all time. Visitors were treated to glorious horn sound with stupendous dynamics and unbelievably tactile voicing. Relative to a modern audiophile favorite such as the Wilson Audio Grand Slam, the Bionor is of course a different cup of tea, but if I had the room and could find a pair, thats what I'd be drinking." Dick Olsher
I owned Kangfilm Eurodyn. I had to sell them because my new home is too small but they were wonderful…
BTW I am Frank J., I spent several years to build this website

dagfinn

I owned Kangfilm Eurodyn. I had to sell them because my new home is too small but they were wonderful…
BTW I am Frank J., I spent several years to build this website
Amazing site, you really did a great job! I used to work in cultural heritage, I'm sure your site is a great resource in the preservation of these wonderful speakers. I hope I get to hear some :).

klangfilm

Amazing site, you really did a great job! I used to work in cultural heritage, I'm sure your site is a great resource in the preservation of these wonderful speakers. I hope I get to hear some :).
Thank you for your kind words !
This was exactly my idea. As it was very difficult to find information regarding these speakers, amps (I would say they are the German Western Electic), I thought it would be nice to try to collect everything I could and share with other people.
My inspiration was this one : https://www.audioheritage.org/
But the Lansing Heritage website is way above, a marvel !

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Orgon-HeimKino-Klassisch-1.png
Orgon-Horn-1-1.png
Orgonhorn-hinten-Martion_13.png
EH-Dakotagrey-Bass-Glasecke-1.png
Orgonhrner-4-1.png
Orgon-Titelbild-1.png
Orgon-mit-Leopardenfell-Spiegelbass-1.png

jeffme

Forum Donor
Saw and heard these vintage George Nelson 1958 JBL Harlan C39s in Palm Springs, so I thought I'd throw them in the mix. $6900 for the pair, but there's always negotiating room. I wasn't smart enough on site to ask which config (2 or 3 way, # of drivers) these were, but they sounded fantastic at low volume for lounge singer / torch song vocals. Also didn't do a deep dive on how they were regarded at the time.

1709233635300.png
1709233670844.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Say watt?

View attachment 353697
"With a horn like this you can reach low frequencys which can simulate earthquakes!" https://www.hornsolutions.de/bass-horns
I think Big Horns are lost on me...
iu

*shrugs

All the same? Compensation issues? :p

I get that some of the nicer looking ones like PJ posted in #2,665 have a certain allure. Even some very large rooms with a more architectural use of Horns are interesting...
iu

...but to me have a more "impressive engineering" vibe to them.

attachment.php
iu

However, they don't strike me as beautiful, not to mention practicality and usability went right out the door somewhere around 20cu.ft ago. :p

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All they need is a good stain job or veneer?
KleinHorn System View.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The best photo is the guy standing between them for sense of scale!
o_O
For sure, I didn't appreciate the size of the subwoofer till that photo.
I was curious about the driver in that sub and gaale as always was my friend here.

"The Imperia is the ultimate speaker from OMA.
A four way fully horn loaded system, with a vertical array of conical horns covering 100hz to 20khz, and two rear loaded subwoofer horns using a massive 21" neodymium woofer handling 20hz-100hz. This special sub is 104db 1w/1m and is powered by its own solid state amplifier, designed and built by OMA. The system as a whole is extremely efficient at approximately 105db 1w/1m, and is entirely time aligned.
The 100hz and 300hz wooden conical horns are made from a choice of solid Pennsylvania walnut, cherry, ash, or chestnut.
The 300hz midrange horn uses the incomparable Cogent DS1428 field coil compression driver. The hig... Continue Reading"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The best photo is the guy standing between them for sense of scale!
o_O
I hope that amp don't fall off the sub, it looks to be already teetering with the bottom right showing about an inch off
the woofer. Not exactly the best place to locate a tube amp in any case, maybe it adds euphonic distortions? LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom