• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 328 measurements from Stereophile - question

brydon10

nad-c-328-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier-image1.jpg

I was reading through these measurements of this unit on Stereophile (from 2018) here: Stereophile C 328 measurements

I don't really understand this "The C 328's S/PDIF inputs preserved absolute polarity and locked to datastreams with all sample rates up to 192kHz. A 1kHz digital signal at –12dBFS resulted in an output level of 10V into 8 ohms with the volume control set to "0.0," which suggests that the digital inputs have 6dB too much gain; ie, a digital signal at –6dB will just drive the amplifier into clipping into 8 ohms. This extra gain may well be useful with low-sensitivity headphones, however."

Does that mean you shouldn't turn the volume past -6db when using the digital inputs? I probably wouldn't need to, but if in the case of using some really inefficient speakers I'm just curious. Thanks for any help with this.

Update: I received a reply from NAD about this and here is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting The NAD Electronics Support Crew.

This test was stated with a 1 Khz digital signal, music is more complex than a single frequency signal.

Yes this frequency is used for testing however it may not represent what will happen with real musical content.

I do not think that a general statement can be made to keep the volume under -6db.

I think all the volumes settings will be content dependent.

I hope this helps."

Last edited:
Top Bottom