• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Idontknow

I also connect the sub to pre-out because i lose bass-midbass detail from the mains when it is connected to the sub output (sub1, tone off, crossover 40), it sounds much better this way. It seems it does something more than just cut everything under 40Hz to the mains.

kentj76

TDAI-3400:. Read the ASR review...

I too have noticed the Rhye distortion on my M33. Not sure if it's a deal breaker for me, as I don't have to use the sub output, but it sure is poor engineering in a product at this price point.
I don't have hopes for a fix, ever.

Maybe a class action lawsuit?

Stefan

It's just your perception being affected by the significant 6 dB drop in output level. If you increase the output level by 6 dB using the volume control, then you should perceive that the soundstage will unflatten back to its original state. Our ears are nonlinear in their frequency response with respect to sound level, so a 6 dB change elicits a large subjective change in sound quality.
Can we really confirm this somehow? I ran the same track multiple times today with

- 1 Subwoofer, Tone Controls ON, DL filter enabled (main volume -15dB)
- No subwoofer, Tone Controls OFF, DL filter enabled (main volume -21dB)

and could swear it sounds differently…problem is that you can not switch directly because you have to switch the two options and the master volume

I also connect the sub to pre-out because i lose bass-midbass detail from the mains when it is connected to the sub output (sub1, tone off, crossover 40), it sounds much better this way. It seems it does something more than just cut everything under 40Hz to the mains.
If this would be true, we would be talking an even bigger problem…but to be sure of that someone would need to make measurements on the mains above the crossover frequency.

Problem with using the pre-out instead of the sub out is that the mains are not cut off at the frequencies the sub is also active at.

Descartes

Major Contributor

I too have noticed the Rhye distortion on my M33. Not sure if it's a deal breaker for me, as I don't have to use the sub output, but it sure is poor engineering in a product at this price point.

This is crazy $5000 for an integrated that has a major design flaw and the manufacturer not even responding to the customers!

I was planning to get one, not any more with these kinds of problems.

pogo

Major Contributor
If this would be true, we would be talking an even bigger problem…but to be sure of that someone would need to make measurements on the mains above the crossover frequency.

Problem with using the pre-out instead of the sub out is that the mains are not cut off at the frequencies the sub is also active at.
How was the crossover frequency set in the M33 for DIRAC LIVE?
I assume that you have separated your mains higher to reduce the load.
If I were you, I would set a crossover frequency in the range of 35-50Hz on the subwoofer app in the case of pre-out operation (according to the spec of your mains). But the best way to determine/countercheck this is with REW.

Last edited:

Kaboo

Yes class action

pogo

Major Contributor
A class action lawsuit is not necessary, since NAD is working on a solution, according to their statement.

KjetilA

Despite these currently existing limitations, which also do not affect everyone equally, this machine is hard to top ;)

I absolutly agree, and this is why I'm holding on to my M33 (for now at least) :cool: It sounds amazing (if your not using a sub and have tone control turned off), looks amazing, is wife friendy, has room correction, and much more. But I also think that NAD should take this one-piece-wonder and its customers a bit more seriously. As an IT Professional, I really can't understand why they need to use over 3 month (and counting) to solve an issue that they have rated as a high priority. And even worse, they have no sort of information on their progress.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
... As an IT Professional, I really can't understand why they need to use over 3 month (and counting) to solve an issue that they have rated as a high priority. And even worse, they have no sort of information on their progress.
I had the exact same comment each time I was dealing with IT in my previous company. Welcome to the other side of the mirror :D.

sitherion

Can someone who owns an M33 confirm if you can use the USB port to connect to an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) and play Apple Music? I know the device is compatible with AirPlay2 but I am more interested to be able to play content at the highest, lossless, resolution 24/192 that Apple offers in Music (from June onwards).

Stefan

I gave the German Dali / NAD support a call this morning and they said that I should raise a service request out of the BluOs app. This will be the direct way to NAD. I give this a try later on today.
And this is the reply:

"Hello Stefan,

Thank you for contacting the BluOS Support Crew.

First of all, regarding your SUB woofer setup with the M33, first of all, the Sub cable should be as short as possible. Please make sure to set the volume on the subwoofer to 50% or less and allow the M33 to handle volume increases. Most subwoofers have their own volume/gain control which is likely what is affecting the sound. Please turn down the sub volume and let the M33 do the work.

In addition to that, please use the desktop-based Dirac app for the speaker calibration and make sure that you have enabled the Subwoofer in the Dirac's speaker settings.

If you still have an issue then, I would suggest reaching out to Dirac directly for further assistance which can be done at the link provided below.

https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS

For more information regarding DIRAC, including our NAD Custom Integration curve, please visit https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/

If you are having issues setting up DIRAC, please ensure you have temporarily disabled any local firewalls on your PC and followed our step by step DIRAC Setup Guide by reading this Help Centre Article;
https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011867634-Dirac-Setup

For additional tips and best practices, please see;
https://support.nadelectronics.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000149227-Dirac-Best-Practices.

If you are still experiencing issues with your Dirac setup, please verify the following.

1) Your player's chassis is fully up to date
2) You are using the latest version of Dirac's application
3) You have temporarily disabled any firewall software on your PC that may be blocking communication with your amplifier
4) You have downloaded the mic calibrations files from the DIRAC live page - https://nadelectronics.com/dirac-live/

I hope this information helps and am going to mark this request as solved to prevent you from receiving reminder emails from our system.

Thanks for choosing BluOS.
Nishchal
The BluOS Support Crew
"

pogo

Major Contributor
Completely off target.
Someone has put together text modules and does not know the actual problem, which has already been escalated to a higher level.
But you have at least reported your problem and you now have that in writing.

KjetilA

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also don't like the fact that the CS rep is bouncing you around between NAD, BlueOS, and Dirac. NAD needs to own solving whatever problem their customer runs into on their device regardless of the subsystem. They can certainly bring in their partners but they should not make it the customers problem. If they do that again you should escalate to the next level support for better assistance. You gave NAD your money, (a lot too) they should support you for any problem end to end with the device and all it's subsystems.

fcracer

Forum Donor
I also don't like the fact that the CS rep is bouncing you around between NAD, BlueOS, and Dirac. NAD needs to own solving whatever problem their customer runs into on their device regardless of the subsystem. They can certainly bring in their partners but they should not make it the customers problem. If they do that again you should escalate to the next level support for better assistance. You gave NAD your money, (a lot too) they should support you for any problem end to end with the device and all it's subsystems.
NAD is great at customer segmentation on the product side; they need to become equally great at doing that on the support side. If their service was great overall, it would be ok, but as it currently stands, it’s appalling that people who dish out Masters levels of money get treated with generic copy/paste responses barely appropriate for the Classic lines.

sitherion

NAD is great at customer segmentation on the product side; they need to become equally great at doing that on the support side. If their service was great overall, it would be ok, but as it currently stands, it’s appalling that people who dish out Masters levels of money get treated with generic copy/paste responses barely appropriate for the Classic lines.

My pre-buying experience with them trying to ask some minor technical questions about their product (that could not find on their website/brochures) and the generic response I received + the fact that their USB port doesn’t support connection with other devices (iPhone/iPad/laptop) and only accepts generic NTFS USB sticks has put me off from buying it.

Got the M33 for 2 days and send this to NAD.
Maybe someone on here knows a solution?

I'm a DJ and recently purchased the M33. It's absolutely everything I wish for except, there is a significant delay in the audio processing. Is there a pure direct mode that bypasses this and allows for 0ms latency so I can DJ properly? I tried the A/V mode but the delay is still there, waaay better then the 1sec+ in default.
It makes it near impossible to Cue and beat match in a timely manner.
I'm not using Dirac is my room is treated and it did not provide the result I was looking for. Tone controls are enabled to shave off some treble.
Please advise.

pogo

Major Contributor
There is no solution at the moment, because from BluOs point of view this delay is intentional. Here, we should continue to exert pressure to get a bypass.

Link

Top Bottom