• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help- Studio Power amp: Getting a good amp for around 400 Euros budget

Masiusima13

Hello everyone, been following and reading reviews on here for a while so i thought this might be the perfect place for someone to chime in and help me out on this.
Looking around to buy a power amplifier for my studio, Currently running a pair of passive 8ohm Acoustic Energy AE22's on a temporary amplfier.

I am looking for a linear transparent amp with a fair bit of power to drive them, something around 200w or possibly more at 8ohm per side.

Current option im interested in and that i can get in Europe easily is the Behringer A800 which seems to fairly fit what im looking for and is inexpensive but i am wondering if there is possibly a better amp for around 400 euros or a bit more.
Im in Europe and looking to buy new mostly.
Thanks for your help!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Masiusima13! Welcome to ASR.

Crown has a few models that are worth looking into:

The XLS models even come with configurable hardware DSP, which can be very useful.

Unlike the A800, they're actively cooled.
It's temperature controlled though, so no constant fan noise.

OP
M

Masiusima13

Ive had a look at the crown offerings before, im really opting to avoid any dsp and keep it purely analog for monitoring latency and keeping it simple, the behringer a800 seems to be my only choice so far, also seems it performed fairly well in the measurements here on the forum, cant really think of any other poweramp that could beat it for the price, or maybe i might have missed something??

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you checked out some of the simple hypex module amps? Purely analog otoh is only so meaningful....I have no issues with my Crowns vs other amps

OP
M

Masiusima13

I havent really delved too much into hypex yet as there are a lot of manufacturers making amps and kits with their modules so its a bit overwhelming, which hypex based amp would you recommend that fits what im looking for?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I havent really delved too much into hypex yet as there are a lot of manufacturers making amps and kits with their modules so its a bit overwhelming, which hypex based amp would you recommend that fits what im looking for?
Hypex doesn't seem to give you what you're searching for (2x 200+W @8Ω for ~400€ in Europe).

A Hypex Amp in Europe can give you 2x 75W @8Ω for 400€, or 2x 150W @8Ω for 480€:

FWIW, both of these come in an XLR version as well.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not in europe so not familiar with what the various module builders' offers are there particularly....but I'd check with Nord and Audiophonics perhaps.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For about 700 € try to find Dynacord L1300FD, it's 2x 250W into 8 Ohms good quality (as in Crown golden days) A-B class with DSP (PEQ & FIR). Beringer is rip off another design and don't expect support for it. I guess you get what you pay for.

Edit: if you use PEQ only latency will be more than fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom