• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Netflix subtitles

ta240

Major Contributor
I must be missing a setting in Netflix. When watching an English movie that has sections with a foreign language the only way I can get subtitles for those sections is to turn on the closed captioning ones. And then not only does it caption the sounds it just keeps going when they are speaking English again.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is it just the movies for a global market thing? It is distracting to have to keep turning them on and off.
These were the only options on the recently added Anna movie.
1713501858587.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it depends on the movie. Some have English subtitles only for only the non-English portion as part of the movie. Some do not. If they don't, then what you doing with closed captioning is your only option.

OP
ta240

ta240

Major Contributor
I did some more research and there were some claims that the distributor can turn them on or off. I'm not sure if that is true or not. And if it is true why Netflix doesn't make sure it is on.

Someone posted the first 10 minutes of the Anna movie on Youtube and it has the subtitles in the right places so there are versions of it where it works.

It is made even more fun because some movies don't give you translated subtitles for quick conversations, where you are just supposed to get the feel for what is being said, or ones where the main character doesn't understand what they are saying. So after awhile it is "oh, I bet this has subtitles we should be reading".

Top Bottom