• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

Rate this monitor speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 376 90.2%

• Total voters

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm probably most likely to get Genelec 8340's. Really good price, plus GLM allows dual subwoofers from my understanding. I know it can be dodged with MA1, but I'd much rather the more together GLM. Plus the Genelec's look nicer in my opinion, although I know their look is kind of you like them or not. In RAW they look really nice, obviously they naturally tarnish over time, but nothing a good polish and a thin oil won't stop.
I don't know what you mean with "dodged", but to be clear: MA1 supports dual subwoofers as well natively.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
GLM is for sure better in connectivity and use in bigger setups. But I would claim that MA1 is doing the better correction.
We need someone conducting a proper comparison between comparable Genelec and Neumann setups in-room with GLM/MA1 before and after at the same spot. I don't know why nobody (magazines? youtube guys? someone?) seems willing or able to do such an obvious thing. It is such a low hanging fruit IMHO, but nobody wants to grab it.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
We need someone conducting a proper comparison between comparable Genelec and Neumann setups in-room with GLM/MA1 before and after at the same spot. I don't know why nobody (magazines? youtube guys? someone?) seems willing or able to do such an obvious thing. It is such a low hanging fruit IMHO, but nobody wants to grab it.
Why don't you grab it ?

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My main draw to GLM is dual subwoofer integration. Apparently you can do via MA1, but it won't calibrate them both, only one. If anyone using MA1 can clarify that would be pretty helpful.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My main draw to GLM is dual subwoofer integration. Apparently you can do via MA1, but it won't calibrate them both, only one. If anyone using MA1 can clarify that would be pretty helpful.
This is not true. MA1 calibrates 2 subwoofers in a stereo system.
I have a system with 2 KH750 and MA1. I have shown measurements here for example:

Ze Frog

This is not true. MA1 calibrates 2 subwoofers in a stereo system.
I have a system with 2 KH750 and MA1. I have shown measurements here for example:
Interesting. So am I right in thinking you run a splitter to send L and R signal to both subwoofers, then connect each monitor to either L or R on each subwoofer? Or do the subwoofers daisy chain off eachother?

Information I had found must have been for an earlier iteration of MA1 I'm guessing. Thanks for the correction.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. So am I right in thinking you run a splitter to send L and R signal to both subwoofers, then connect each monitor to either L or R on each subwoofer? Or do the subwoofers daisy chain off eachother?

Information I had found must have been for an earlier iteration of MA1 I'm guessing. Thanks for the correction.
I have an interface with 2 electrical digital outputs (RME UCX II). Both send the same stereo signal to both subs. I can connect monitors either both to one of the subs or L to L and R to R.
AFAIK when using KH150s or 120IIs you can use a digital daisychain now so you don't need 2 digital outputs anymore. I think i have seen this in one of the manuals.

athlon7750

Hi,

I would like to use the digital input on my KH 120 IIs from my PC. What alternatives with USB in/SPDIF RCA out that allow digital volume control are there besides the RME UCX II?

danbei

AFAIK when using KH150s or 120IIs you can use a digital daisychain now so you don't need 2 digital outputs anymore. I think i have seen this in one of the manuals.
I can confirm that, this is how I'm connecting my setup (2 KH150 + 1 KH750)

Ze Frog

I have an interface with 2 electrical digital outputs (RME UCX II). Both send the same stereo signal to both subs. I can connect monitors either both to one of the subs or L to L and R to R.
Thankyou.

RobL

Indeed, I ignored that the device has been tested here. Thanks for pointing out its poor performance.
It’s too bad, it would be a great device if they could sort out the deficiencies.

ed3lva

Hello, I wanted to upgrade my desktop speakers. I’ve had the Emotiva Airmotiv 4 and I’m ready for an upgrade. Currently listening to a pair of used (demo) Kali IN-5 and although they do sound very nice it takes a lot of space on my computer desk. I’m planning on returning them and picking up a set of Neumann KH-120 II or maybe the KH-80. Their size is more manageable. For a 10’ x 10’ room with 8’ ceilings which one would you recommend?

Also considering getting a subwoofer but not right away.

Thanks.

IamJF

As I have both KH80 and KH120ii I would grab the 120ii for fullrange use. It's not that big of an price hike but you get significant more level and can use the digital input.
Only when you buy the woofer now I would think about KH80 - they are actually a nice team with KH750. But when also used to listen with some distance in the room -> KH120ii.

Top Bottom