• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New phono cart needed

mmi

Audio-Technica AT VM95ML. In 2024 no one should be using an elliptical stylus. A micro-linear stylus will provide you a more even frequency response as it moves toward the inner groove and will also have less distortion and do better with worn records than an elliptical. It will work well with the Schitt as you can load it appropriately (the lower the capacitance the better). Having owned and measured 50+ cartridges the VM95ML and the VM540ML are the only modern cartridges that I can recommend with a clear conscious.

You will likely find measurements of the recommended cartridges in our cartridge measurement library if you want to compare them and find best loading setttings
I just got one of these for ripping my rare stuff that has been sitting round un-listened to for far too long. I bought it based on your measurements, so many thanks! I love it!

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I know I'll be the odd man out here, but I'm not a huge fan of either the 540/740 ML or the 95ML. They do track really well, but I can't get past the frequency responses of either one. The 540 is just too bright for me and the 95, while not as bright, chops off the top end at around 14-15 KHz. It removes the air in the top treble for me. With digital EQ, both would be great.

Load capacitance is not the issue. I run super low capacitance Beldon cables to a Cambridge Duo. Turntable is Technics1200GR.

I much prefer the Ortofon Concorde with Stylus 30/40 for correct frequency response. I realize both are much more expensive so not much help there...

WDeranged

I don't find the VM95ML lacking treble. On some albums I even cut the treble. I'm 44 with some hearing loss in my right ear.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I don't find the VM95ML lacking treble. On some albums I even cut the treble. I'm 44 with some hearing loss in my right ear.
Who knows, maybe my 95ML unit cuts off slightly lower than yours. There is definitely unit to unit variation in these mechanical things. It's also really subjective and I got my 95ML after I already had the Ortofon, so I was used to the flatter/extended treble.

JP

Major Contributor
I know I'll be the odd man out here, but I'm not a huge fan of either the 540/740 ML or the 95ML. They do track really well, but I can't get past the frequency responses of either one. The 540 is just too bright for me and the 95, while not as bright, chops off the top end at around 14-15 KHz. It removes the air in the top treble for me. With digital EQ, both would be great.

Load capacitance is not the issue. I run super low capacitance Beldon cables to a Cambridge Duo. Turntable is Technics1200GR.

I much prefer the Ortofon Concorde with Stylus 30/40 for correct frequency response. I realize both are much more expensive so not much help there...

VM95 wants to see far more capacitance than the 5/7 - 250-300pF for the flattest response.

In regard to "air", I've just never found that to have much merit unless the cartridge is peaked up enough that noise becomes evident. This is a layback done with a Kleos along with an 15kHz HP version, and the same HP version pitch shifted down 32 semitones so us old people can get a sense of what's going on up there. Levels preserved.

BurntFinger

Forum Donor
I run my AT95's & Golding E-series which use that same AT generator at 330 pF, tonearm wiring + interconnect cable + preamp.

Fun fact the AT95 stylus and Goldring stylus can be interchanged. Looks weird but works.

Top Bottom