• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Norah Jones – Visions – first single – Running. Will it be a reference like "Come Away With Me"? (Stereo vs Dolby Atmos)

Descartes

Major Contributor
I have her SACD and it was good when I first heard it. Now I don’t necessarily care for her anymore!

OP
J

Jean.Francois

Hello,

After the test of the first single, here is the complete test of the album including the versions: Japanese SACD, black and colored vinyl, Tidal MAX and Amazn Dolby Atmos.

Vision Album - Small.jpg

Unfortunately, the album analysis confirms the results of the first track, even for the Japanese SACD!

Find all the samples and measurements here.

Enjoy listening,

Jean-François

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hello,

After the test of the first single, here is the complete test of the album including the versions: Japanese SACD, black and colored vinyl, Tidal MAX and Amazn Dolby Atmos.

View attachment 356933

Unfortunately, the album analysis confirms the results of the first track, even for the Japanese SACD!

Find all the samples and measurements here.

Enjoy listening,

Jean-François
Thank you, Did you ever measure the Supertramp Breakfast in America MoFi SACD vs Japan SACD vs Blue Ray Pure Audio

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks goat76. Looks like I probably switch streaming platform one day. Should we thank the movie industry for getting more dynamic content (once again)?

goat76

Major Contributor
Thanks goat76. Looks like I probably switch streaming platform one day. Should we thank the movie industry for getting more dynamic content (once again)?

That’s the normal 2-channel hi-res version from Qobuz, it should be the same on Tidal.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the normal 2-channel hi-res version from Qobuz, it should be the same on Tidal.
Yes, and the Atmos 2.0 version seem to squeeze a bit more dynamic. Unless Spotify gear up, I'll probably change to Apple. Tidal and Amazon not for me.

goat76

Major Contributor
Yes, and the Atmos 2.0 version seem to squeeze a bit more dynamic. Unless Spotify gear up, I'll probably change to Apple. Tidal and Amazon not for me.

I had Apple Music for a while but found it problematic because they mostly just support their own hardware for playback. I guess I could play the stream through airplay from my iPhone to my Linn Akurate DSM streamer, but that is not a solution I want to go with. As a Windows user, the only way to play Apple Music through the computer is by using their web player as Apple doesn't provide a dedicated App for Windows. Their web player doesn't play any Atmos tracks and I have no idea if the stream I get choosing an Atmos track is truly playing that version down to 2 channels, or if they just reroute me to the ordinary 2-channel release of the album. I never figured that out.

I think the only way to play Atmos tracks besides listening through headphones is to buy an Apple TV, and it seems equally problematic to play Atmos tracks from Tidal as they also require specific playback hardware like nVidia Shield or something similar. I find all this a bit frustrating as I want to be able to play Atmos music in my current system, a freaking monster computer, and a Marantz Cinema 50 which are technically perfectly capable of playing these Atmos files if they just let me. :)

Last edited:
OP
J

Jean.Francois

I had Apple Music for a while but found it problematic because they mostly just support their own hardware for playback. I guess I could play the stream through airplay from my iPhone to my Linn Akurate DSM streamer, but that is not a solution I want to go with. As a Windows user, the only way to play Apple Music through the computer is by using their web player as Apple doesn't provide a dedicated App for Windows. Their web player doesn't play any Atmos tracks and I have no idea if the stream I get choosing an Atmos track is truly playing that version down to 2 channels, or if they just reroute me to the ordinary 2-channel release of the album. I never figured that out.

I think the only way to play Atmos tracks besides listening through headphones is to buy an Apple TV, and it seems equally problematic to play Atmos tracks from Tidal as they also require specific playback hardware like nVidia Shield or something similar. I find all this a bit frustrating as I want to be able to play Atmos music in my current system, a freaking monster computer, and a Marantz Cinema 50 which are technically perfectly capable of playing these Atmos files if they just let me. :)
yes, it's not easy to reconcile the constraints between streaming services and Atmos playback on an amplifier. For Tidal At amazon Music, I use an Amazon Fire TV stick (I use 4k) which works very well.

goat76

Major Contributor

Last week I realized I could indeed play Atmos music in my current system without having to buy an Apple TV or any other additional hardware, it's possible to play Atmos mixes using the Tidal app in my Atmos-compatible LG TV through my Marantz Cinema 50. I don't have a full-fledged Atmos system, just a 5.2 system, but I find it works pretty well. Hence, I decided to end my subscription with Qobuz and switch to Tidal as I find the ability to play Atmos music adds to the overall experience as an addition to the regular 2-channel mixes.

I just did some testing on what will happen if I play an Atmos mix through my regular 2-channel streamer. I had hoped that the Atmos track would just be downmixed to stereo so that I would get the better dynamics of the Atmos mixes, but unfortunately, Tidal will only re-route the stream to the more dynamically compressed regular 2-channel mix when the playback system isn't Atmos compatible.

I'm not sure if Apple Music will also re-route the stream to the regular stereo mix just as Tidal does if you use a non-Atmos compatible playback system, so unless you have compatible gear throughout your system, I don't think you will get the less dynamically compressed version the Atmos mix is offering.

Oh by the way, why are you against changing to Tidal? Most of the MQA stuff is gone now when they are replacing them with regular flac files.

Top Bottom