• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Oppo UDP 205 7:1 analog outs

audiogeek

Hello all.
I am a new member and I would consider myself a "budget audiophile"

I have had an Oppo player in my system since 2011. I bought the BDP 93 in 2011 and in 2018 I bought a UDP 205. Both players work great using the HDMI out.

My question is how much will the audio quality improve by using the 7:1 outs on the 205?

I have a small 12 x 15 HT/audio room with a 5:2 setup and my current AVR does not have the 7:1 analog inputs so I will need to upgrade (was looking at Maranntz 8015)

From the 205 features section:
OPPO UDP-205 is equipped with two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs for both stereo and 7.1 channel analog audio. The ES9038PRO is the flagship of the ESS PRO series. It sets a new benchmark for audio excellence with its best-in-class 140 dB of dynamic range in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC. The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS’ patented 32-bit HyperStreamDAC technology, which is responsible for the outstanding clarity and sound stage.

Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The UDP-205 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience thanks to its second ES9038PRO DAC chip. The 7.1-channel analog output can also be configured to a stereo down-mix mode as a Zone 2 audio source.

If anyone here has a Marantz and is using its 7:1 inputs with an Oppo player what are your thoughts? Once the Oppo is connected this way does the Oppo's DACs perform as Oppo has stated?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If you are using the room correction built into the receiver, the input is digitized anyway so you aren't going to benefit from the DAC in the oppo.

Just connect via HDMI and keep it all digital until it gets to the built in DAC of the receiver.

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

If you are using the room correction built into the receiver, the input is digitized anyway so you aren't going to benefit from the DAC in the oppo.

Just connect via HDMI and keep it all digital until it gets to the built in DAC of the receiver.
So the DAC in the receiver will determine the final audio quality?

I do watch movies but also listen to a lot of music in pure 2 channel with subs (my Yamaha AVR has a "straight" mode).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

That's going to be much more about your speakers and room (and source material of course) than anything to do with a DAC.

Despite the common claims out in audioland, the DAC is about the last thing to be worrying about, right above cables.

The trade-off of a few SINAD points vs room correction really isn't a contest.

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

That's going to be much more about your speakers and room (and source material of course) than anything to do with a DAC.

Despite the common claims out in audioland, the DAC is about the last thing to be worrying about, right above cables.

What is SINAD?
I guess this is why the majority of AVRs do not have 7:1 analog inputs?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If anyone here has a Marantz and is using its 7:1 inputs with an Oppo player what are your thoughts? Once the Oppo is connected this way does the Oppo's DACs perform as Oppo has stated?
Sure. I do not see them making any unreasonable claims in the quoted text. It works.
AFAIK, one cannot do that as the Marantz will not re-digitize the 7.1 analog inputs to permit REQ.
Not if you use the 7.1 analog inputs. Only its output stages and VC will be significant.
;)

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

Sure. I do not see them making any unreasonable claims in the quoted text. It works.
I hope it works :facepalm:

AFAIK, one cannot do that as the Marantz will not re-digitize the 7.1 analog inputs to permit REQ.
I will check out a Marantz 8015 owners manual PDF and see what is says about the 7:1 analog inputs. What is REQ?

Not if you use the 7.1 analog inputs. Only its output stages and VC will be significant.

;) VC is?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Room EQ
Volume Control

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

Room EQ
Volume Control
Thanks.
I found this online from Marantz:

What are the 7.1 CH IN inputs on the rear panel and what are they used for?

The 7.1 CH inputs or “7.1 CH IN” section on the AV or AVR’s rear panel is an added feature for our upper tier models. This section of discrete analog inputs allows you to take a processed signal from a Blu-Ray, DVD or SACD player and transmit that processed audio signal directly through an AV model or to the AVR model’s power amp section. The only altering of the signal from the AV or AVR is from the unit’s Volume IC to control the volume or output of the signal.
Interpreting that the Oppo DAC will convert the digital source into analog and that signal will pass through the Marantz analog inputs unprocessed?

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

Audioland has some really expensive DACs as well as budget DACs. There must be some kind of difference between a 10,000.00 DAC and a 500.00 DAC.

Signal to noise ratio?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks.
I found this online from Marantz:

Interpreting that the Oppo DAC will convert the digital source into analog and that signal will pass through the Marantz analog inputs unprocessed?
Yup. No Room EQ!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
There must be some kind of difference between a 10,000.00 DAC and a 500.00 DAC.

Absolutely, but almost never has anything to do with sound quality. There are cheap dinner plates and expensive china, but it shouldn't change the taste of your food, only the overall experience.

Differences between competent DACs are generally well below our ability to detect any difference, let alone be responsible for differences in soundstage, or whatever else people claim and want to believe.

The industry takes advantage of ignorance. Focus on the speakers and the room and getting that system tuned properly, and worry less about solid state electronics.

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice. I plan on upgrading my AVR and having owned a Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha, I want to try a Marantz. I see the 8015 was reviewed here by Amirm 2 years ago.

I think I should wait for the new models to come out. I wonder if the new models will have the 7:1 analog inputs...

Descartes

Major Contributor
Thanks guys. I appreciate your advice. I plan on upgrading my AVR and having owned a Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha, I want to try a Marantz. I see the 8015 was reviewed here by Amirm 2 years ago.

I think I should wait for the new models to come out. I wonder if the new models will have the 7:1 analog inputs...
You could just use the OPPO as a preamp! Just make sure the volume is down!

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an Oppo 205 and a Marantz receiver with 7.1 analogue inputs but I don't use analogue outputs of the Oppo. I use audio only HDMI output instead and connect Oppo's video HDMI output directly to the TV. The audio only HDMI output of the Oppo is quite special and has jitter reduction circuits:

You will certainly have higher quality D/A conversion using the analogue outputs of the Oppo but you will loose Audyssey correction and although you can use the graphic equalizers in the Oppo, I am not sure it's worth all the cable hassle behind the units.

I use Oppo's DAC with stereo music though. My solution was to add an integrated amp (especially one with XLR inputs - the 205 sounds better through its XLR outputs) which is also connected to the Marantz's front pre-outs which lets me use it as 11.1 rather than 9.1

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

I have an Oppo 205 and a Marantz receiver with 7.1 analogue inputs but I don't use analogue outputs of the Oppo. I use audio only HDMI output instead and connect Oppo's video HDMI output directly to the TV. The audio only HDMI output of the Oppo is quite special and has jitter reduction circuits:

You will certainly have higher quality D/A conversion using the analogue outputs of the Oppo but you will loose Audyssey correction and although you can use the graphic equalizers in the Oppo, I am not sure it's worth all the cable hassle behind the units.

I use Oppo's DAC with stereo music though. My solution was to add an integrated amp (especially one with XLR inputs - the 205 sounds better through its XLR outputs) which is also connected to the Marantz's front pre-outs which lets me use it as 11.1 rather than 9.1
Which Marantz AVR do you use?

What Integrated amp do you use?

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Marantz SR6015
Rotel Michi X3 (my speakers demand a lot of power)

OP
audiogeek

audiogeek

Marantz SR6015
Rotel Michi X3 (my speakers demand a lot of power)
Your 205 must sound really good paired with that Rotel Michi X3. What loudspeakers are connected to the Rotel?

Top Bottom