• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Parametric EQ on Foobar

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There doesn't seem to be a straight forward way to do this:

1. VST plugins: I have found these to be hard to use and unstable. Bandwidth is usually in octaves, not Q.

2. Effect DSP: In the IIR filter section there are single frequency PEQ filters. A new instance of the plugin is required for each frequency. Frequencies and magnitude must be integers although Q is granular. There's a big difference between 2 db and 2.5 db.

3. Make FIR filters using Rephase and load them into the convolver. Everything has to be resampled to the frequency of the WAV impulse file used.

Have I missed anything important?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I like to use Toneboosters Equalizer v3 or v4 for headphones. Presets can be saved and reloaded easily. Although I’m a bit lazy nowadays so I just use Morphit or sonarworks for HP EQ.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Oh yeah, Equalizer APO is excellent as well... and it’s FREE! A bit clunky interface and looks like last year’s model, but I’m always happy that such alternatives exist.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If you're happy with DirectSound (versus ASIO/WASAPI), you can use EQ APO globally. Note that its config files support if/then/else, so you can choose rePhase IRs by samplerate automatically. The native filters are IIR & seem to work well.
I use Eq APO globally with DRC-FIR. It's amazing.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tried Mathaudio, and completely forgot about it. I knew there was a windows EQ APO, but did not know it's capabilities. EasyQ is probably the best of the VST plugins, but I had too many crashes.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have tried Mathaudio, and completely forgot about it. I knew there was a windows EQ APO, but did not know it's capabilities. EasyQ is probably the best of the VST plugins, but I had too many crashes.
What is your opinion regarding mathaudio (i suppose Mathaudio room EQ) versus other roomcorrection software like REW (if you ever used that).
Are those room correction software so different from eachother regarding the sound.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm (ignorantly!) confident the differences are small if you simply use IIR filters to cut peaks below ~300Hz. But FIR correction has much broader capabilities.

Perhaps we can convince @digitalfrost to detail his correction process? The DRC-FIR results I've seen at DIYAudio are very impressive - and the configurations a little intimidating.

Celty

I had just installed Equalizer APO with the frontend Peace Equalizer. Seems to work quite well.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm (ignorantly!) confident the differences are small if you simply use IIR filters to cut peaks below ~300Hz. But FIR correction has much broader capabilities.

Perhaps we can convince @digitalfrost to detail his correction process? The DRC-FIR results I've seen at DIYAudio are very impressive - and the configurations a little intimidating.
I'm quite impressed with mathaudio Room EQ. Did try to use REW but i can't get my measuring mic working correctly with REW. With Mathaudio it worked instantly an so far i'm quite happy/impressed with the result. But alway's looking for improvements thats the reason for my quetsion if the differences are such that it is worthwille to try out other Room EQ software. If the differences are neglectible than i don't bother.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your opinion regarding mathaudio (i suppose Mathaudio room EQ) versus other roomcorrection software like REW (if you ever used that).
Are those room correction software so different from eachother regarding the sound.

Mathaudio has it's quirks. Unless it has changed all sweeps had to be to 20k. Be careful about levels as you might blow your tweeters. Recently they now allow a user supplied house curve. It's a bit of a mystery as to what it is doing. Try it and see what happens, being careful about the level.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mathaudio has it's quirks. Unless it has changed all sweeps had to be to 20k. Be careful about levels as you might blow your tweeters. Recently they now allow a user supplied house curve. It's a bit of a mystery as to what it is doing. Try it and see what happens, being careful about the level.
Yes this levels i have some times problems with not so much with the sweep level (i put them quite low for the best result max 9 o'clock) but with crancking up the listning level. Sometimes i have to put my level to 2 o'clock or more. An if you forget to pull it back after closing Foobar2000 your speakers could be damaged. I'm beta testing for mathaudio and some months ago i (probably others too) did a request (to Sergey think one of the developers) to add these curves. Listning to these target curves i ended up with the existing Bright curve as my favorit.:facepalm:

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes this levels i have some times problems with not so much with the sweep level (i put them quite low for the best result max 9 o'clock) but with crancking up the listning level. Sometimes i have to put my level to 2 o'clock or more. An if you forget to pull it back after closing Foobar2000 your speakers could be damaged. I'm beta testing for mathaudio and some months ago i (probably others too) did a request (to Sergey think one of the developers) to add these curves. Listning to these target curves i ended up with the existing Bright curve as my favorit.:facepalm:

The bright curve can be used to limit EQ to the lower frequencies if the speaker output slopes down a la Harmann.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had just installed Equalizer APO with the frontend Peace Equalizer. Seems to work quite well.
As a follow up, if you own one of the inexpensive powered 'monitor' speakers for up-close PC listening they probably could use some fine tuning. A little massaging goes a long way and can make a big difference. Many processing options with Peace add on. Balance control is right there, which is really necessary, but often difficult to find without rummaging through a confused menu tree somewhere deep in Windows. Can even simulate the old Capitol DUOPHONIC for STEREO Phonographs--for all your mono Sinatra records. I know everyone misses that authentic touch. VST plugins are said to be compatible, but I haven't tried any.

duo.jpg

peace2.jpg

peace1.jpg

Top Bottom