• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paul McGowan (PS Audio) is back with another silly "Power Plant" video

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
And if your PS is switching or regulated the mains voltage is even less of a worry.

These devices don't create power (like some people believe) so if your mains voltage drops the output impedance goes up, so you get less current capability.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A standard engineering term:
For the standard old linear supplies a 5% drop in AC ( 120V RMS ) will drop the rails 5% which will drop the power out 5% . Of course if you use a different supply topology this may be different.
Thank you, I am familiar with a number of standard engineering terms. Voltage is often expressed in RMS, as is current, but "RMS power" is not a real term. And the discussion regarding limiting the output power is related to the DC voltage across the output devices, typically a positive and a negative voltage rail, derived from the wall inlet by whatever means. The specifics of the means of creating the DC rails is what determines if a 5% drop in wall voltage leads to a 5%, 10%, or some other change in the DC voltage across the output devices.

And if your PS is switching or regulated the mains voltage is even less of a worry.
None of this debate applies to SMPS power supplies which are regulated by design.

These devices don't create power (like some people believe) so if your mains voltage drops the output impedance goes up, so you get less current capability.
I also have a basic familiarity with physics, efficiency, and the laws of conservation. I do not recall ever saying they create energy. I do not follow the argument about output impedance rising when mains voltage drops slightly, that is normally determined by choices in devices, bias current, and feedback, but apparently I do not understand basic electronics as well as you.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Thank you, I am familiar with a number of standard engineering terms. Voltage is often expressed in RMS, as is current, but "RMS power" is not a real term. And the discussion regarding limiting the output power is related to the DC voltage across the output devices, typically a positive and a negative voltage rail, derived from the wall inlet by whatever means. The specifics of the means of creating the DC rails is what determines if a 5% drop in wall voltage leads to a 5%, 10%, or some other change in the DC voltage across the output devices.

None of this debate applies to SMPS power supplies which are regulated by design.

I also have a basic familiarity with physics, efficiency, and the laws of conservation. I do not recall ever saying they create energy. I do not follow the argument about output impedance rising when mains voltage drops slightly, but apparently I do not understand basic electronics as well as you.
Touchy. I never said you. And I never said RMS power, only RMS voltage. I think basically we are saying the same thing.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It was in your response to me, so yes I took it as directed at me.

You also said this, which I must have misinterpreted, sorry.
We are talking power so RMS. A 5% drop in peak is a 5% in peak to peak (we are talking percentages not volts) so a 5% drop in RMS. So a .5db drop in power. Think about a rectified sine.

I've invested enough time in a thread I don't really care about, heading out.

Punter

Regardless of the semantics over a .9 reduction in dB with a mains power drop, the claims made for this device by the manufacturer are:
"The results of feeding your equipment with low output impedance are dramatic: unrestrained dynamics even under the loudest passages, an open, wide soundstage that does not collapse with volume and a naturalness to the music that is remarkable. "

How does this "remarkable" improvement relate to the output impedance of the mains supply to an amplifier power supply? Short answer is "it doesn't!" Even if it did, the makers of this product should limit their claims to the only obvious effect of this machine which is that *possibly* it will mitigate a drop in mains voltage which would reduce the output volume of the amplifier. That is all, no "naturalness" no "soundstage" just perceived volume.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless of the semantics over a .9 reduction in dB with a mains power drop, the claims made for this device by the manufacturer are:
"The results of feeding your equipment with low output impedance are dramatic: unrestrained dynamics even under the loudest passages, an open, wide soundstage that does not collapse with volume and a naturalness to the music that is remarkable. "

How does this "remarkable" improvement relate to the output impedance of the mains supply to an amplifier power supply? Short answer is "it doesn't!" Even if it did, the makers of this product should limit their claims to the only obvious effect of this machine which is that *possibly* it will mitigate a drop in mains voltage which would reduce the output volume of the amplifier. That is all, no "naturalness" no "soundstage" just perceived volume.
Exactly - the people who buy them don't do so because they have some edge-case situation with their mains supply, they buy them because they think veils will be lifted.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
It was in your response to me, so yes I took it as directed at me.

You also said this, which I must have misinterpreted, sorry.

I've invested enough time in a thread I don't really care about, heading out.
No worries. Yes I should have said RMS voltage and peak voltage not just RMS and peak.

Top Bottom