• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Polk ES60 Tower Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 71 28.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 139 55.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 9.9%

• Total voters

Putter

Forum Donor
I could be wrong, but I have assumed the "Target Goal" (As per Harman) for "in room" to fall at the rate of about 1db/octave.
I have redrawn the line to show approx. that amount of slant from 100hz upwards. That may account for Amir describing it as a good bit better than the curves show. Still strong in the treble, but to a good bit lesser degree.
My sense of the speaker (unheard) is that it's fixable with either a treble tone control cut and/or listening off axis with possibly a foam insert in the port to reduce the 500 hz resonance. You'd likely need a sub if you did the port insert. My personal experience (which is admittedly with standmounts) has been that I've never had speakers that didn't benefit from a subwoofer.

Hiten

Low impedance above 5k.

1708144733799.png

Good candidate for class D (for ex . tpa3255 without pffb) ? From past different reviews I guess usually the mentioned amplifiers have high distortion at high frequencies region when impedance nears 8 ohms.

...but
low impedance means more current required. So either tweeter or amp is vulnerable ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
...but
low impedance means more current required. So either tweeter or amp is vulnerable ?
Only for exceptional content that has lots of energy in that high frequency region. Movie special effects can but music tends to not be so.

375HP2482

Cymbals can exhibit lots of peak energy above 5 kHz, but their response is damped enough that the power is low.

Last edited:

sthomper

i have a pair of these. i got them to replace a pair of Polk es-20s paired with a 'pair' of Polk PSW-10 subs. I'm not sure if its the '2.5 way' crossover method but the towers provide a more 'holographic' sound stage...something in the mids is more noticeable and complete but not muddy at all. i think the tweeters are the same in these and the es20s. as for the bass, the dual PSW-10s do provide a bit more foundational shake...but the ES60s are deep and perhaps the bass seems slightly better integrated, maybe quicker?? i may get a single sub for these later on but I am quite pleased with these...cabinets are attractive and seem robust.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Low impedance above 5k.

View attachment 350131

Good candidate for class D (for ex . tpa3255 without pffb) ? From past different reviews I guess usually the mentioned amplifiers have high distortion at high frequencies region when impedance nears 8 ohms.

...but
This seems to be an ideal candidate for a minor crossover "mod"....a 1.5-2 ohm resistor added to the tweeter, would solve the impedance issues and flatten the upper treble boost alsol

Top Bottom