• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about choosing DAC and so on

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your words will make me listen DT1990:D If I want a pleasant stimulus, I must go to headphone shop and just listen it.
Thx to your words!

See if you can also try the Sennheiser HD600 S. Many people like the detail resolution they have.

OP
S

SweetStone

See if you can also try the Sennheiser HD600 S. Many people like the detail resolution they have.
I listened Sennheiser HD650, 600, 660s in a headphone shop previously. They are good reference models as well and give me detail expression in proper soundstage as you say. But deep bass roll-off was sad to me.

TomB19

If you get a chance to try some thicker pads, that might be an interesting experience also. The YouTube reviewers seem to say a thicker set of closed pads will widen a planar. I have no direct experience to share with regard to your XX, though.

OP
S

SweetStone

If you get a chance to try some thicker pads, that might be an interesting experience also. The YouTube reviewers seem to say a thicker set of closed pads will widen a planar. I have no direct experience to share with regard to your XX, though.
Thx for your information. I have to find and order that pad now:D

TomB19

Hey, hey... Pads are pricey and I have no direct experience. Some headphones seem to respond well to thicker pads or different pads while others don't.

It was just an idea and I suggest you research before buying.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened Sennheiser HD650, 600, 660s in a headphone shop previously. They are good reference models as well and give me detail expression in proper soundstage as you say. But deep bass roll-off was sad to me.

Look for Focal Elear and Focal Elex. Good deep bass extension.

OP
S

SweetStone

Hey, hey... Pads are pricey and I have no direct experience. Some headphones seem to respond well to thicker pads or different pads while others don't.

It was just an idea and I suggest you research before buying.
I found hifiman pads for replacement just before, and saw a pair of velvet pad(40.75$). Of course, hifiman's ultra pads is a little expensive(79$!). But unless I have burden because of this, I can spend a little bit for a new experience. I want to solve my curiosity pleasantly:D

OP
S

SweetStone

Look for Focal Elear and Focal Elex. Good deep bass extension.
Oh, What a coincidence! I also listened Focal Elear/Clear in other headphone/speaker shop(couldn't listened Elex. It didn't exist in the store).
Elear's bass extension was very attractive and stage was good. Unless it has bothered sibilance, a disobliging store, and breakdown often(I heard Elear's driver issues very often..), maybe I bought that. Even considering lack of clarity and upper-midrange tone, it has a very fascinating sound:D

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, What a coincidence! I also listened Focal Elear/Clear in other headphone/speaker shop(couldn't listened Elex. It didn't exist in the store).
Elear's bass extension was very attractive and stage was good. Unless it has bothered sibilance, a disobliging store, and breakdown often(I heard Elear's driver issues very often..), maybe I bought that. Even considering lack of clarity and upper-midrange tone, it has a very fascinating sound:D

I have the Elears and like them very much :)

My understanding is that the driver issue was with the early batch of Elears. You could ask here to find out more: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-elear-impressions-thread.811961/

OP
S

SweetStone

I have the Elears and like them very much :)

My understanding is that the driver issue was with the early batch of Elears. You could ask here to find out more: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-elear-impressions-thread.811961/
Oh, Very nice.. By the way, If I buy Focal's Headphone, I will buy Utopia again. Its sound was very dynamic and fascinating bass extension. Recently I often listen to musics of Diana Krall, 101 strings orchestra, acoustic cafe.. etc. And I'm changing headphones for these songs. Of course, regardless of changing my configuration, Utopia is the magnificent headphone anyway :)

Top Bottom