• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rauna Freja Vintage 2-Way Loudspeaker Measurements

Putter

Forum Donor
This is not the first concrete speaker. My recollection FWIW is that while concrete is obviously very solid, it has no damping qualities which may account for the odd resonances.

DanielT

Major Contributor
This is not the first concrete speaker. My recollection FWIW is that while concrete is obviously very solid, it has no damping qualities which may account for the odd resonances.
It was nothing new to use concrete, that's right. The text in #5 and the link I put in #14 should be kept in mind that it is mostly marketing, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. ;)
But what cannot be ignored is that Bo Hansson and Ranua created a perfect storm. For the time appealing exciting design. Both the shape and the material of the speakers. Good marketing and good entrepreneurship in terms of manufacturing and then getting the speakers out in HiFi stores. This wholeness to tie everything together was Bo Hansso's greatness.Rauna were very popular in Sweden.:)

The Germans were apparently ahead of their time because... but in Germany they were also sold in a raw concrete finish in exclusive interior design stores.

And now Ranua's latest model in raw concrete finish:
Hifimusik151251958 (1).jpg

Speaking of concrete as a material for speakers. Is it overkill or not? The speakers below are in concrete. A couple of DIYs I heard at a DIY fair a few years ago. Most likely, cardboard casting pipes were used when they were built.
51JdPCZsffL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
It would have been interesting if he built a test speaker only in cast pipes in cardboard and then compared how it was vs those in concrete. Resonances and so on.:)
IMG_4312 (1).jpg

Don't ask me about that yellow rubber duck outfit.o_O:D

Last edited:
Top Bottom