• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recomendations, and advice on small laptop to speaker set up, using USB-C

jindy30

Hi Folks, so i have been using the headphone output of my laptop (into old receivers and speakers) to edit and mix some music. Recently I bought some cambridge audio sx-50 speakers (8Ohms) that i would like to use and I need an amp, $100-300 is my budget. Any rec's?

SX-50 KEY FEATURES
  • 135mm treated paper cone woofer, 25mm silk dome tweeter
  • 2-way crossover
  • frequency response: 50 - 22,000Hz
  • sensitivity: 87 dB
  • impedance: 8ohms
  • recommended amplifier power: 10 - 100W
  • dimensions: 8.9 x 6.3 x 9.4" / 225 x 161 x 240 mm
  • weight: 6.6 lbs / 3.0kg
However, In researching i have discovered you can send digital "audio" (or is it just digital info) via USB-C into an amp and to me this is a much better system.

Does anyone have any recommendations of an all in one unit that can do all this. This unit seems ok but lacks the power of the amp i need. I do like to crank the music occassionally.

MOTU M2 2x2 USB-C Audio Interface​

If they have any tone controls that is a massive bonus, and i would consider up to $500 for the right unit, maybe more.

Cheers

Jonathan

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha AS301, plus an inexpensive USB to Toslink converter if your laptop doesn't have Digital out.

OP
J

jindy30

Thank you, i like the way you are going with this. I didnt know you could just switch connectors betweeen usb-c and toslink so thast good to know.

I might have to lug this around abit so are there smaller units that can power these speakers? Like this?

TOPPING MX3s Desktop DAC/ Headphone Amp/ Power Amp​

Cheers Jonathan

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didnt know you could just switch connectors between usb-c and toslink so thast good to know.
Well it's not just connectors - the converter is a box of electronics.

The MX3 will probably do the job if you need something more portable. Though I'm not sure it is still available.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I might have to lug this around abit so are there smaller units that can power these speakers? Like this?

TOPPING MX3s Desktop DAC/ Headphone Amp/ Power Amp​

There are lots of different Desktop DAC+Power Amp All-in-One units.
Here are some:

-Topping MX3s, MX5
-SMSL VMV A2, VMV A1, AL200, A300, A100, A12, AO300, AO200 MKII, AO200, SA300, AD18
-Sabaj A30a, A4
-Loxjie A30, A40
-Fosi DA2120A/B/C/D
-O-NOORUS A80, D3
-Arylic B50
-xDuoo DA-100
-AMP AMP25.2, AMP35
-WiiM Amp

Last edited:
OP
J

jindy30

Well it's not just connectors - the converter is a box of electronics.

The MX3 will probably do the job if you need something more portable. Though I'm not sure it is still available.
Tell me, does the coverter do the Digital to Anaolgue Conversion?

Zek

Major Contributor
does the coverter do the Digital to Anaolgue Conversion?
It depends on the need, basically the DAC is a digital to analog converter, but it can also be a USB to SPDIF converter - then it's digital to digital.

OP
J

jindy30

wow thanks the SMSL looks great. I am currently using the headphone output of my 2017 apple laptop, and as far as the DAC goes i would assume these units are "better" then the DAC i have in my 2017 (intel chip) laptop. My bigest concern is using the USB-C, as iit will be doing double duty, as a power source and date transfer. Surely there are issues here i yet dont know. Jitter, and noise interferences. Any comments?

Cheers Jonathan

staticV3

Master Contributor
My bigest concern is using the USB-C, as iit will be doing double duty, as a power source and date transfer.
When used with an external DAC+Amp like the MX3s, the USB port will only be used for data transmission.

Power will be supplied to the DAC+Amp by an external power supply.

OP
J

jindy30

There are lots of different Desktop DAC+Power Amp All-in-One units.
Here are some:

-Topping MX3s, MX5
-SMSL VMV A2, VMV A1, AL200, A300, A100, A12, AO300, AO200 MKII, AO200, SA300, AD18
-Sabaj A30a, A4
-Loxjie A30, A40
-Fosi DA2120A/B/C/D
-O-NOORUS A80, D3
-Arylic B50
-xDuoo DA-100
-AMP AMP25.2, AMP35
-WiiM Amp
any USA products here?
When used with an external DAC+Amp like the MX3s, the USB port will only be used for data transmission.

Of course your right, i would like to use a USB hub and be powering my laptop simultanously. Sorry getting into the personal weeds here, not veey technical.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on the need, basically the DAC is a digital to analog converter, but it can also be a USB to SPDIF converter - then it's digital to digital.
And then it is not a DAC :cool:

Reactions: Zek
OP
J

jindy30

And then it is not a DAC :cool:

Yep, The SMSL AO300 looks perfect, although from what i have read most issues are with the USB-C connections, smsl su-01 in particuar. So how reliable is USB-C? also, if i use a USB-C hub,(for power, hardrive, and to feed digital audio to the DAC) will i need a seperate DAC, with a decent asynchronous clock to reduce jitter?

Anyway, i keep researching but i do feel like the SMSL AO300 is great but that i am throwing the dice on reliability compared to getting seperates, or going prurely analogue.

thanks Jonathan

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
will i need a seperate DAC, with a decent asynchronous clock to reduce jitter?

No, you won't. The DAC in the SMSL will also be asynchronous (if using USB input) so won't be subject to jitter - and in any case Jitter is a solved problem in modern DACS. The tiny residual amount left after clock recovery is inaudible in competent (and most are) designs.

OP
J

jindy30

any USA products here?

Of course your right, i would like to use a USB hub and be powering my laptop simultanously. Sorry getting into the personal weeds here, not veey technica
Hi Foks, are any of these "class compliant "as i will be using with Protools.

OP
J

jindy30

how do you delete this thread. i am going for seperates.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yamaha A-S700, CS43131 dongle like Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (with deacent ASIO driver's), UMIK-1 and REW + EQ-APO and that's enough for stereo.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't. That would remove it as a resource for anyone else with a similar quesiton. It would also be quite rude to anyone who has contributed.

You could ask a Mod to close it for further replies.

Top Bottom