• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Record breaker: Raphaelite CS30-MKII tube amplifier review and measurements

EVDavis

Those are beautiful speakers. I prefer the darker ones.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I just like the curved shape. It is also good against standing waves inside the cabinet. I first built such speakers 20 years ago and published the story on the Internet.

My picture of an early prototype:

ls-setup-old (2).jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The big speakers in the background were actually original Altec A7 VOTT from the forties. But my own former designs would be much more interesting to me again today. I have already considered buying back a pair. My wife also loves them.

But I have the space problem today too. I don't want to have too much audio stuff sitting around the apartment, no matter how nice it may be individually.

There are a few of my speaker and tube amp creations still in use today by various friends and audiophiles in Europe.
I built those for them after they were delighted with the sound they heard at my place or at scene-meetings.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
These were originals from the forties, as I already wrote. Unfortunately, I have not found better pictures of it.

1690903941154.jpeg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
What's this speaker?
Thank you for your kind interest. On the first picture it is a horn loudspeaker from Avantgarde Acoustic. On the second it is an old radio cabinet of a SABA Freiburg radio equipped with 5 pcs of the legendary SABA Greencone speakers. Two tweeters on the sides. I had removed the defective electronics from it and used the whole thing as a speaker room sound box in mono. I had two of these old SABA Freiburg units and also built various full-range speakers especially with Greencones.

Last edited:

EVDavis

Thank you for your kind interest. On the first picture it is a horn loudspeaker from Avantgarde Acoustic. On the second it is an old radio cabinet of a SABA Freiburg radio equipped with 5 pcs of the legendary SABA Greencone speakers. Two tweeters on the sides. I had removed the defective electronics from it and used the whole thing as a speaker room sound box in mono. I had two of these old SABA Freiburg units and also built various full-range speakers especially with Greencones.
Yes, sorry I meant the older speaker in the second picture. It looks so cool. I'm guessing the midrange is very nice.

Paul Klipsch thought that harmonic distortion was a minor issue while intermodulation distortion was a major problem because most music contains harmonics but intermodulation introduces nonmusical frequencies.
I have an Elekit 8600S 300B amp with Western Electric tubes that has good reviews in Stereophile. It would be interesting if the reviewer compared one of these to the Raphaelite.
Thanks to the reviewer and commenters for an interesting read.
I just completed a 8600S build myself. Very happy with this amp. I have not seen much in the way of reviews or measurements. I have heard that people on this site generally do not like tube amps.

Attachments

• elekit7 (1).jpg
    elekit7 (1).jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just completed a 8600S build myself. Very happy with this amp. I have not seen much in the way of reviews or measurements. I have heard that people on this site generally do not like tube amps.

“This site” is a mix of European and North American audiophiles, so it’s hard to talk in generalities other than to say that solid state is the dominant tech in audio.

You will find a sizable group of vinyl enthusiasts here as well as tubes.

What people here insist is that the differences, if any, can be measured.

DonR

Major Contributor
Preference is a personal choice. Tubes tend to measure less accurately than SS.

They generally do not measure as well as S.S. designs do.
Yes Sir ! It is a matter of personal choice indeed ! The audio world can certainly get deep into evaluations based on measurements and such. I am just a novice in this hobby. I have a degree in electronics and spent 35 years of my life as a equipment technician in the Semiconductor industry. I love the details of audio science and appreciate all of the experts on this forum ! So much knowledge to be learned here !

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Yes Sir ! It is a matter of personal choice indeed ! The audio world can certainly get deep into evaluations based on measurements and such. I am just a novice in this hobby. I have a degree in electronics and spent 35 years of my life as a equipment technician in the Semiconductor industry. I love the details of audio science and appreciate all of the experts on this forum ! So much knowledge to be learned here !
I have a degree in electronics and decades in audio and video media. I'm fine with well-designed tube solutions that measure sufficiently well to be in the same ballpark of frequency accuracy, noise and distortion as CD, since that is the default benchmark these days.

I have a degree in electronics and decades in audio and video media. I'm fine with well-designed tube solutions that measure sufficiently well to be in the same ballpark of frequency accuracy, noise and distortion as CD, since that is the default benchmark these days.
Key word "Well Designed" Thanks for your reply Sir !

Top Bottom