• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Redirection on using an asr link...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last week or so have been getting a great number of messages saying the page isn't redirecting properly (clicking on specific updated links or just threads in general). The indication is that I am somehow disabling/refusing cookies....but who wouldn't want to do that with that sort of nonsense? Do I need to change my settrings? Funny thing is that this only presents an issue in maybe one in four threads? What's up?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know your Hardware/OS/Browser but you may try to use 'whitelisting' the sites that you may be blocking (cookies or otherwise).
*Try to do a search in your search-engine of choice for the words "how to whitelist websites in [?browser?]"
*If you have an ad-blocker (or two) as add-ons/plug-ins to you browser, you can whitelist there.
*Or disable the ad-ons/plug-ins and try again.
*If you have a global "block all cookies" set; your browser may stop to work altogether... and there are different types of cookies ('essential' ones for the website to operate, or 3rd party cookies, etc).
Try another web-browsers (chrome/FireFox/Vivaldi/Brave/Edge/?)
Hope one of these helps... else get more specific with listing the links and above.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On this thread we discussed an issue that may be related, because it has to do with 301 codes from the server, redirections.

The problem appears when using the Duck Duck Go plugin, as amir reported, which causes the pages to answer a 301 code, as I've explained here.

I don't know what's your degree of knowledge of inspection tools on your browser, but if you could take a screenshot of the network tab of the inspector after reloading the page that gives the problem, we could investigate the issue a bit more. Can you share a URL that produces this problem?

OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know your Hardware/OS/Browser but you may try to use 'whitelisting' the sites that you may be blocking (cookies or otherwise).
*Try to do a search in your search-engine of choice for the words "how to whitelist websites in [?browser?]"
*If you have an ad-blocker (or two) as add-ons/plug-ins to you browser, you can whitelist there.
*Or disable the ad-ons/plug-ins and try again.
*If you have a global "block all cookies" set; your browser may stop to work altogether... and there are different types of cookies ('essential' ones for the website to operate, or 3rd party cookies, etc).
Try another web-browsers (chrome/FireFox/Vivaldi/Brave/Edge/?)
Hope one of these helps... else get more specific with listing the links and above.
Generally use firefox/duck duck go and only accepting cookies for a session. I do block FB tracking. I don't have any whitelists.

Katji

Major Contributor
firefox probably has cookies whitelist facility. (I don't know because I use Cookiebro add-on, which is very nice [simple, easy], lets me see and control.

If your default setting is block cookies and you do not whitelist ASR, you will have to log in manually each time [instead of Firefox doing it automatically] and New Posts search will not work. That last is one of the proper reasons for cookies, vs. tracking for ad purposes.

I use Cookiebro [authorised/approved add-on], continued to use it since Firefox began doing cookie control, because it is easier - I know what's going on, and don't have to deal with Firefox settings menu/UI.

PS: My daily routine [re this] is start Firefox...then click the Cookiesbro button and clear the session cookies. (Which could be done automatically, is one of the options/setting at the top of the page, can also be set to clear them periodically [30 minutes, 60, etc.]) Blacklisted and non-white-listed cookies were automatically cleared as part of startup process.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last week or so have been getting a great number of messages saying the page isn't redirecting properly (clicking on specific updated links or just threads in general). The indication is that I am somehow disabling/refusing cookies....but who wouldn't want to do that with that sort of nonsense? Do I need to change my settrings? Funny thing is that this only presents an issue in maybe one in four threads? What's up?
If you're using the DuckDuckgo plugin that has been happening.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I've been getting so many lately too.

I think it's firefox getting extremely careful with redirects. Fire up Chrome or Edge and there's no problems.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been getting so many lately too.

I think it's firefox getting extremely careful with redirects. Fire up Chrome or Edge and there's no problems.
'Session cookies' is a good add-on for FF since it deletes them when the tab (for any site) is closed (Ctrl+F4).
I am a long time defender of FF, and would you believe me if I told you that it really is not FF fault?
They are just protecting you from yourself and/or nefarious potentials.
There are also FF add-ons that can allow you to simple-single-click to open FF tab/page in Edge/Chrome or wutevr.
And if you set your EdgeBrowser, to always delete cookies after termination (Alt+F4) of the browser... you can go back to FF to continue...
Maybe same can be done with Chrome but I don't expose myself much to google-wares...
I never get them (redirects), I wonder why?

Has anyone tried the alternative search engine (as a FF add-on?) called the "StartPage"?
I find it to be much less invasive than others, for the last few years.

Last edited:
OP
Chrispy

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
firefox probably has cookies whitelist facility. (I don't know because I use Cookiebro add-on, which is very nice [simple, easy], let's me see and control.

If your default setting is block cookies and you do not whitelist ASR, you will have to log in manually each time [instead of Firefox doing it automatically] and New Posts search will not work. That last is one of the proper reasons for cookies, vs. tracking for ad purposes.

I use Cookiebro [authorised/approved add-on], continued to use it since Firefox began doing cookie control, because it is easier - I know what's going on, and don't have to deal with Firefox settings menu/UI.

PS: My daily routine [re this] is start Firefox...then click the Cookiesbro button and clear the session cookies. (Which could be done automatically, is one of the options/setting at the top of the page, can also be set to clear them periodically [30 minutes, 60, etc.]) Blacklisted and non-white-listed cookies were automatically cleared as part of startup process.
I don't block cookies, I accept them for the session only (limits on 3rd party cookies) and dump them all when I close the browser.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So my use of duck duck go that has been working without issue until recently is the issue, eh? Wonder why it only acted up recently and only part of the time....
Well, we have not changed anything at our end. But no doubt FireFox code has been evolving causing some incompatibility with that plug-in. When I get some breathing room, I will try to debug this but for now, the solution is to not use that combo of FireFox and DuckDuckGo.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
So my use of duck duck go that has been working without issue until recently is the issue, eh? Wonder why it only acted up recently and only part of the time....
We have no idea why, we only recently narrowed down to the Duck duck go add on being problematic and causing the redirects. Amir has double and triple checked on his end that we have the latest updates from Firefox.

diablo

Forum Donor
I use FF and DuckDuckgo privacy essentials and have been getting the blocks. Have disabled it it on this site now and I can now use a link which was previously blocking. :)

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, we have not changed anything at our end. But no doubt FireFox code has been evolving causing some incompatibility with that plug-in. When I get some breathing room, I will try to debug this but for now, the solution is to not use that combo of FireFox and DuckDuckGo.
The DuckDuckGo plugin has not been a problem with either of my xenforo sites. But it is here. It started when you started blocking that person from China.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This^^^ plug in needs to be disabled for ASR.
I mean, if I was a 'mod', I would stick the carrot out, front and center...:oops:
I just typed "Security issues with duckduckgo"; and here is the carrot, as impetus:

Vulnerability in DuckDuckGo could expose your history to snoops​

Mar 17, 2021 ... The nature of the flaw is fairly complex, and a hacker would need to have access to the DuckDuckGo server. “The attackers can spy on anything ...
https://nordvpn.com/blog/is-duckduckgo-safe/

Is DuckDuckGo safe? | NordVPN​

Dec 8, 2021 ... DuckDuckGo is a relatively safe search engine and you can use it without compromising your security. As any other browser, DuckDuckGo is ...
https://dzone.com/articles/duckduckgo-has-a-privacy-problem

DuckDuckGo Has a Privacy Problem - DZone Security​

Jul 29, 2019 ... DuckDuckGo is a private search engine. It is adamant about spreading privacy around the internet. However, there is one issue we discovered ...
https://www.finxl.com.au/blog/2020/12/duckduckgo-vs-google-a-security-com
'nuff said!;)

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
I mean, if I was a 'mod', I would stick the carrot out, front and center...:oops:
I just typed "Security issues with duckduckgo"; and here is the carrot, as impetus:

'nuff said!;)
Did not dig that deep. I don’t use it, but sure as heck would not now. Thanks for pulling the string.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the identical problem (Firefox/Duckduckgo). Doesn't happen on most links but I can't view the AHB2 review, for instance. I'm not sure where the duckduckgo plugin is to be found but I'll give that a try.

Top Bottom