• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replace Powernode 2i with Topping LA90 and Emotiva PT2?

Shaboosh

Hello everyone, I'm looking for advice on a potential upgrade to my system. I currently have the following hifi equipment:

• Chord Hugo 2 DAC
  • Chord 2go streaming module
  • Powernode 2i streaming amplifier
  • KEF LS50 Meta speakers
  • SVS SB-1000 subwoofer

The DAC, streaming module and speakers are recent acquisitions, and I had initially assumed I would upgrade my amplifier also, but now I'm having second thoughts. The biggest issue for me is bass management — after much trial and error, I've established that my speakers sound best crossed over at 130HZ. Any lower than this and I hear booming bass, no doubt as a result of my relatively compact living room.

This means that I need to have a high-pass filter in my amplifier or pre-amp. I'm considering the Emotiva PT2 paired with the Topping LA90 Discrete. My question is: would I hear an appreciable step-up in sound quality if I swapped out the Powernode 2i for the PT2 with the LA90, or is the Powernode 2i transparent enough to do justice to the Chord Hugo 2 and 2go?

Cgs0409

I’ve been discussing the system I plan purchasing on the Fosi V3 thread. The preamp I’ve been considering I’d the Schiit Kara. I like the fact it has several RCA inputs and XLR connections. It seems to check all the boxes for me but I’ll have to buy a DAC and phono preamp. Now I’ve discovered the Emotiva BasX PT2 preamp/DAC w/phono preamp. The only thing it doesn’t have is XLR connections…no big deal really. The PT2 seems to be a good choice but I want to hear from y’all about your thoughts on this unit.

Top Bottom