• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The D50 just appeared in the Massdrop daily email for $199.99.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-d50-dac

Oh well. I think it was worth $13 to get it a month sooner.

Yes, thanks, what I should have said was the data cable is utilizing pins 1 and 4 rather than just data +/-

I solved the issue, thanks to @zephyros 's suggestion.

First covered pin 1 (5V) with electrical tape - still noisy
Covered both pins 1 and 4 (ground) with electrical tape - no noise
Removed tape from pin 1 - no noise.

So it does look like it was a ground loop caused by the ground of the USB data cable. Any issue in covering/removing the ground pin?

Or you could just buy an ungrounded USB cable. There is someone selling them relatively cheaply on Ebay and Amazon.

Martin

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Oh well. I think it was worth $13 to get it a month sooner.

Or you could just buy an ungrounded USB cable. There is someone selling them relatively cheaply on Ebay and Amazon.

Martin

I just did that :) after mutilating the included Topping cable, of course.

captainbodhi

Hi there captain. :) Welcome to the forum.

I took a look at the Aune page there and it seems to be well designed. So purely based on that, I say if you are not finding any obvious noises, clicks, pops, etc. I think you should stay with it as differences in working DACs is exceedingly small if not zero. If you like, I am happy to measure your unit as I have never tested any Aune products. But otherwise, I would stay put with what you have.

Thank you for the advice and insight. I have not noticed anything wrong or annoying with the X1s so I will stick with it. Are you interested in measuring the X1s/X7s stack? I could borrow the OL DAC from my other setup for the time being if that is the case. Any chance you would know what the estimated turnaround is?

raif

Martin

Ah, I would be curious to know if this would be a solution. In all honesty, the lack of usb isolation was a bit of a deal killer for me and was pushing me towards the Pro-ject S2. If this simple solution works, then I think I will likely jump on the massdrop deal.

I actually have a soekris dac1321 coming on Monday. My actual plan was to then pick up the d50 to do a DS/R2R shootout and see if I can even hear a difference. Also, I would then like to send the dac3121 to amirm to measure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So it does look like it was a ground loop caused by the ground of the USB data cable. Any issue in covering/removing the ground pin?
In extreme cases that may cause the USB handshake to not work. So as long the DAC operates, you are golden. :)

bhigh

For a possible power supply, does it matter 5V 1.5A or 5V 3A for the D50? I can get the first but not the latter.
It should not. USB spec is 5V, 500 mA. Anything that can supply a minimum 500 mA at 5V will work fine.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you interested in measuring the X1s/X7s stack? I could borrow the OL DAC from my other setup for the time being if that is the case. Any chance you would know what the estimated turnaround is?
Yes, I like to measure the full stack. As to turn-around time, it depends on when you send it to me. If it is right now, it would take me 2-3 weeks to get through what is on my plate and then test yours.

gvl

Major Contributor
I just did that :) after mutilating the included Topping cable, of course.

If everything else fails try one of these: https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps or https://intona.eu/en/products, or maybe http://www.silexamerica.com/product...-networking/usb-parallel-connectivity/ds-510/

Also if the amp past the DAC has a 3-prong mains plug you can try to lift the ground pin and see if it helps, running w/o ground is not safe but maybe interesting as a data point in a short test, if unsure of the risks better not do it at all.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

gvl

Major Contributor
FYI I have one (intona) on loan for review. In one test of a DAC that was susceptible to jitter over USB, it did a nice job of cleaning up its response. From what I recall it is expensive though so not sure it is a good investment.

Probably not a good investment, however they seem to keep their value very well and can be resold when no longer needed for not much loss.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Probably not a good investment, however they seem to keep their value very well and can be resold when no longer needed for not much loss.
Ah, that is good to know.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
If everything else fails try one of these: https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps or https://intona.eu/en/products, or maybe http://www.silexamerica.com/product...-networking/usb-parallel-connectivity/ds-510/

Also if the amp past the DAC has a 3-prong mains plug you can try to lift the ground pin and see if it helps, running w/o ground is not safe but maybe interesting as a data point in a short test, if unsure of the risks better not do it at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, but covering the ground pin on the USB data cable and using a separate wall-wart SMPS seems to have solved the noise issue. I suspect it was two ground loops, one from the power USB cable and one from the data cable. With a separate power supply and no ground in the data cable, my D50 is noise free :)

lotse888

Yes, thanks, what I should have said was the data cable is utilizing pins 1 and 4 rather than just data +/-

I solved the issue, thanks to @zephyros 's suggestion.

First covered pin 1 (5V) with electrical tape - still noisy
Covered both pins 1 and 4 (ground) with electrical tape - no noise
Removed tape from pin 1 - no noise.

Hmm, I re-read you post #225, you mentioned that you have noise even only using a data line ( a regular USB cable?). Now, reading this post, you described taping the power supply line inside the USB cable. Does it mean your data cable actually has both data USB cable and power line (4 lines) inside?

Regards,

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Hmm, I re-read you post #225, you mentioned that you have noise even only using a data line ( a regular USB cable?). Now, reading this post, you described taping the power supply line inside the USB cable. Does it mean your data cable actually has both data USB cable and power line (4 lines) inside?

Regards,

Yes, it does. There are four pins, taping the ground pin resolved the noise. I ordered a data only USB B cable to replace it.

lotse888

Yes, it does. There are four pins, taping the ground pin resolved the noise. I ordered a data only USB B cable to replace it.

Then I have to apologize for not describing clear enough in my last post (#224) regarding the USB cable that I showed

upload_2018-3-29_22-27-28.jpeg

In one of the USB A connector, there are only the + and - data line inside (2 instead of the 4 connecting points are active). Whereas in the other USB A connector, only the + and - 5 V line are present. Plug the connector A that has the data lines into the source (e.g. your PC). Insert the USB end into your DAC and you are good to go. For the USB A that only has the + and - 5 V lines, one can connect it to a power bank to power you DAC if one does not want to use a SMPS via the DAC 5 V jack.

Hope I did a better job this time.

Regards,

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Then I have to apologize for not describing clear enough in my last post (#224) regarding the USB cable that I showed

View attachment 11749

In one of the USB A connector, there are only the + and - data line inside (2 instead of the 4 connecting points are active). Whereas in the other USB A connector, only the + and - 5 V line are present. Plug the connector A that has the data lines into the source (e.g. your PC). Insert the USB end into your DAC and you are good to go. For the USB A that only has the + and - 5 V lines, one can connect it to a power bank to power you DAC if one does not want to use a SMPS via the DAC 5 V jack.

Hope I did a better job this time.

Regards,

Ah yes, that would have done the trick. I purchased something similar, a USB A to B cable that has both the 5V and ground pins disabled. Thanks for the recommendation, and sorry for not recognizing it the first time around! Great solution though if others find they are having the same issue.

Veri

Master Contributor
Ah yes, that would have done the trick. I purchased something similar, a USB A to B cable that has both the 5V and ground pins disabled. Thanks for the recommendation, and sorry for not recognizing it the first time around! Great solution though if others find they are having the same issue.
Just purchased this cable too, for audio gear like a DAC I'd rather use this rather than a normal conventional one.

Last edited:

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
The connector must have 4 pins, but are they connected to both ends of the cable?

If they weren't, taping the ground pin would have no effect...regardless, I checked with my multi-meter, they are all connected.

Top Bottom