• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

oneforward

Thanks very much for this. I'll use one like this.
I won't be using a PC as the content source. Hoping this DAC will be a good fit for this signal path: CDP coax-out-->Topping D50-->passive volume control (tbc)-->Class D amp-->speakers.
usb adapter.jpg

Last edited:

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks very much for this. I'll use one like this.
I won't be using a PC as the content source. Hoping this DAC will be a good fit for this signal path: CDP coax-out-->Topping D50-->passive volume control (tbc)-->Class D amp-->speakers.View attachment 18162
I just plug mine into a USB battery pack for clean DC power.

brend

Is anyone using the Topping D50 with the Starving Student Headphone Amp?

Thanks for this review, it convinced me to buy the D50, a quality DAC for sure.

AresHarvest

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Gggggas

Guys I emailed Topping service about the A50 and this what I was told:

Hello

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

We already have headphone amplifier A50 and linear power supply P50. Will release and sell on Jan - Mar 2019. You can use D50+P50, or D50+P50+A50 to build a suit set.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service

Gggggas

Guys and gals , does anyone know a European supplier for the aforementioned JDS Labs Atom?

Thank you

Veri

Master Contributor
Guys and gals , does anyone know a European supplier for the aforementioned JDS Labs Atom?

Thank you
I believe headsound has ordered a batch. You could mail them and ask. Quite some mark-up on their website due to EU import though.

Gggggas

I checked there today morning but they don't have it yet. I also asked the Jds labs support team if they'll supply it to Amazon, I'll let you know

Roen

I accidentally drained my USB battery back last night by leaving the D50 connected to it.

To my surprise, I'm able to backfeed power through the USB Camera Adapter from my iPhone into the D50, as long as I keep the D50 connected to the battery pack (which is drained)

Strange but I hope it lasts for me today!

When I unplug the D50 from the drained battery pack, no go.

Another possibility is that the residual charge within the battery pack is enough to power the D50, but then how did it drain overnight.

EDIT: Never mind, it was residual power. Now I'm sad.

Last edited:

Gggggas

I just finished talking to the JDS Labs support team and they told me that due to high demand , retailers in Europe will receive the Atom amp possibly late December and the first European retailer to get it will be Headsound.de but of course with a higher price due to international fright and tax.

I got informed by Headsound DE that the product will be available for order at the beginning of February.

Last edited:

Peib

Guys I emailed Topping service about the A50 and this what I was told:

Hello

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

We already have headphone amplifier A50 and linear power supply P50. Will release and sell on Jan - Mar 2019. You can use D50+P50, or D50+P50+A50 to build a suit set.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service
Thanks for sharing this.

Wont we be able to use D50 + A50 without P50 ?
I dont want to spend a lot of money and i dont even know what P50 is

Thanks!

Roen

Thanks for sharing this.

Wont we be able to use D50 + A50 without P50 ?
I dont want to spend a lot of money and i dont even know what P50 is

Thanks!
You only need a DAC and an Amp. Everything else is gravy.

I have a custom "Pxx"

It's called a RAVPower 21000 mAh battery pack from Amazon for $20.

@amirm can opine on performance differences between a USB battery pack and a linear power supply.

gorg

Much appreciated. I have a second laptop (different brand) that I'm bringing home from work to test with the D50.

Apologies to others, it seems I have hijacked the thread a bit. It wasn't intentional :oops:

---

Edit: Works perfectly fine with my work laptop. Double-checked all the settings in power management, BIOS, sound control panel, etc. They're identical across both computers (where applicable, in the case of the BIOS). Work comp doesn't have the Topping driver installed, so I uninstalled it from my home laptop and restarted, and the same errant behavior is still present. Only variable here is the make and model of the computer.

I think I'm just gonna live with it, because it's beyond my expertise to troubleshooting behind the scenes of whatever sleep/shutdown behavior causes this. In a way this is good news for me, I know my D50 is not likely to be defective, since the auto behavior was correct on one of my computers.
As I promised - I checked d50 with my (old crappy) Acer laptop - it works perfect, turns on and off automatically.

JeanMiK

Hi ! I'm new here.

I received my D50 a few days back, in order to replace the 2 devices (Armature Hecate as USB adapter, and TC Electronic BMC-2 DAC) I had until now between my digital sources and preamplifier.
Wasn't completely happy with the new sound of my hifi, compared to what I had just before - difficult to tell objectively, some coldness ......

I finally took my ohm-meter to check the RCA output of the D50, bingo as expected - the ground of the output is common to the 2 channels.
I'm lucky enough to own an Iso-Max CI-2RR isolator. Stuck it between the preamp and the D50, and guess what ........
Wonderful sound, a bit better than before, I'd say more clear at all levels.
I must say that the BMC-2 has separate ground on its XLR output, and the rest of my system is completely dual mono.
For what it's worth, but I guess that some people might be upset because of this ground issue, and having an expensive isolator could be a financial problem - that could be avoided with a DAC having a balanced output.

JMK

Gggggas

Guys excuse me if this question is stupid cause I don't have experience on Amps and Dacs.
I will have my D50 delivered this week and since I can't get my hands on the JDS Labs Atom amp I was thinking of the Onkyo A-9010, is it a good option ?
If you have other suggestions please DM me so we don't fill the thread with questions like this :)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi ! I'm new here......Stuck it between the preamp and the D50, and guess what ........
Wonderful sound, a bit better than before, I'd say more clear at all levels......I guess that some people might be upset because of this ground issue, ......
JMK

Welcome!

My guess is that almost no one in this forum will be upset. In other forums probably. The "Audio Science Review" forum's participants rely first on objective measurement....and the D50 powered by a cheap wall wart and despite a common ground measures virtually perfectly.

Listening tests are also valued....but primarily blind listening tests where the preconceptions of the listener do not overwhelm the results. This is particularly true when a subjective listening impression is so much at odds with measurements, as it is here. Perhaps your system has ground loop issues between your source/DAC/preamp. Most systems do not.

This is not a criticism of your experience. All of us listen both with our ears and our minds. But your test just proves you are human, not that there is anything detectable wrong with the D50's sound.

So. Not upset.

Last edited:

JeanMiK

Thanks.
I think that my system has no real 'ground issue'. It's topology is sensitive to ground loops.
I consciously choose that dual mono setup, I just did not anticipate this output thing.
I do not regret my purchase at all, believe me.
I did choose the other devices of my system based on objective measurements. And the result is great - which is the ultimate goal we're trying to achieve!
Cheers
JM

Top Bottom