• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

THW

Forum Donor
I'm reading reviews. It looks like 6XX is less bright, I don't like treble all that much. 58X has small sound stage, deeper bass. Not sure yet.
i was under the impression that anything that is from the 6xx and 58x series never had a very wide soundstage to begin with lol

Wolven

i was under the impression that anything that is from the 6xx and 58x series never had a very wide soundstage to begin with lol

Yeah, it looks like one of the complaints for both

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm reading reviews. It looks like 6XX is less bright, I don't like treble all that much. 58X has small sound stage, deeper bass. Not sure yet.
58X has more of a 'consumer' modern tuning. Both have small/'intimate' sound stage.

6XX has amazing timbre and is great for music with lots of acoustic/instruments... buy also vocals, jazz, ... to the average consumer it might not sound that amazing but if you know what to listen to, you really appreciate its sound. Still my favorite. The 600 is 650 but slightly less warm, little more treble.

THW

Forum Donor
Speaking of soundstage, headphones from the HD 6x0 series, in my limited experience, while not being really very wide at all, also have a soundstage that is not particularly objectionable for the most part, it doesn’t really get in the way as long as your source gear is resolving and transparent enough

Andre

So which filter is the best ? :D
Topping with my Focal Alpha 65
125.jpg

kukocz

Forum Donor
Have the same amp lol, i red that its preamp is not that good and that is worth to bypass it, please test it and write back (i have a Tannoy revolution xt6f which i admire and recommend every time)

I read the same thing about it's preamp and wondering if DX3 Pro can perform it better. I'm looking for new speakers and I also take into consideration these Tannoys (as well as KEF Q750, Fyne Audio F502 and Heco Aurora 700). Actually I have already tested Aurora 700 with NAD and it fits very well (it was before I got DX3 Pro).
Did you also buy this DAC? Maybe you'll be faster and perform the test before me :)

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DX3Pro vs EL DAC as a dac?

Wolven

I got one more headphone question. Hifiman HE400i, I can get those for the same price as Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee. Which headphones do you guys think are better?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Of course the DAC is able to play DSD in both case, with and without volume control, but if the volume control is active the DSD stream passes throw the attenuator (PCM) and delta sigma modulator, while without volume control these elaboration can be skipped. All this stuff is internal to the chip, so no need of any conversion outside, DSD is native supported by AKM 4493

Hi, do you or @amirm know if Topping have enabled AKM's "DSD Direct" mode in the DX3Pro ? See the 'volume bypass' path in red in the block diagram for the 4493.

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 11.54.05 am.png

In most AKM DAC's, this needs DSD volume bypass path needs to be enabled in firmware but some DACs like RME ADI-2 DAC & Pro allow this DSD direct mode via the DAC's display/input screen.

Jussi of HQPlayer has noted that with the RME ADI-2 Pro, DSD performance measures a bit better in this 'Direct' mode, compared with the other DSD pathway.

And do we know what kind of analogue filtering is done at the output stage, especially for high DSD sample rates?

Barce

I got one more headphone question. Hifiman HE400i, I can get those for the same price as Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee. Which headphones do you guys think are better?
I like my 4XX more than my 58X (currently wearing), personally. It trades some clarity in the mids and upper treble for planar speed, soundstage width and X-factor that I just really enjoy. The 58X is noticably easier to drive, but they all sound great with headroom to spare on the DX3Pro, so you can't go wrong. If you're not able to test either, I'd suggest you get the HE400i, especially for that price.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I like my 4XX more than my 58X (currently wearing), personally. It trades some clarity in the mids and upper treble for planar speed, soundstage width and X-factor that I just really enjoy. The 58X is noticably easier to drive, but they all sound great with headroom to spare on the DX3Pro, so you can't go wrong. If you're not able to test either, I'd suggest you get the HE400i, especially for that price.

The HE4XX is quite a performer for its price point. I like it for most things outside of demanding vocal tracks.

I modded mine ( as per my avatar) and changed the grill. It does some strange things to its acoustics that I like. You could consider by temporarily removing the grills and see if you like the sound signature after that.

I read the same thing about it's preamp and wondering if DX3 Pro can perform it better. I'm looking for new speakers and I also take into consideration these Tannoys (as well as KEF Q750, Fyne Audio F502 and Heco Aurora 700). Actually I have already tested Aurora 700 with NAD and it fits very well (it was before I got DX3 Pro).
Did you also buy this DAC? Maybe you'll be faster and perform the test before me :)
yes i bought it but still waiting. Coaxial speakers has this very realistic imaging, Fyne Audio is looking nice, they can be awsome too

Bigsy

Worth considering that Hifiman has been criticised for their cheap plastics/build quality and ergonomics in the past. Not sure if they've upped there game for the HE400i but don't believe you could criticize Sennheiser in that department. It's something worth considering if these attributes are important to you.

Also are they that easy to drive? Out of my 2 sets of planar 1060M's kinda seem ok on the DX3pro but my maddogs are a little underpowered to me, I'm using near max vol on high gain they are lacking their usual hit/texture.

Veri

Master Contributor
DX3Pro vs EL DAC as a dac?

Either :p I like the Dx3 a lot because it has an amp too though.

Hi, do you or @amirm know if Topping have enabled AKM's "DSD Direct" mode in the DX3Pro ? See the 'volume bypass' path in red in the block diagram for the 4493.

View attachment 18621

In most AKM DAC's, this needs DSD volume bypass path needs to be enabled in firmware but some DACs like RME ADI-2 DAC & Pro allow this DSD direct mode via the DAC's display/input screen.

Jussi of HQPlayer has noted that with the RME ADI-2 Pro, DSD performance measures a bit better in this 'Direct' mode, compared with the other DSD pathway.

And do we know what kind of analogue filtering is done at the output stage, especially for high DSD sample rates?
In the Dx3 manual it says you can choose between two dsd filters, with its filter range but don't recall from memory. Also I haven't played DSD yet on mine, but if it's still got the digital volume control that won't be DSD direct.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Either :p I like the Dx3 a lot because it has an amp too though.

In the Dx3 manual it says you can choose between two dsd filters, with its filter range but don't recall from memory. Also I haven't played DSD yet on mine, but if it's still got the digital volume control that won't be DSD direct.

I see amir posted the manual here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dx3pro-dac-and-headphone-amp.4967/post-116309

I see the 2 x DSD filter settings but there's no mention of DSD volume by-pass mode, so I think it's safe to assume DSD Direct mode is not enabled in this firmware by default (as you said).

Otherwise (as you hinted) there would be a note in the manual that the headphone output can't be used with DSD & volume control, which is the case with RME ADI-2 DAC & Pro when DSD Direct mode is enabled (RME disables headphone output in DSD Direct mode to protect the listener's ears/cans).

Last edited:
Top Bottom