• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of the new Schiit URD

Zgrado1970

E-Coustics review of the new Urd has this lol take:

“The ASR crowd must be bumming rather hard this morning in regard to the Schiit URD CD player; there is no internal DAC and that means that they will actually have to listen to it and grade it based on the sonic performance connected to other digital devices.”

I am indeed super bummed.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Too much. I don't think that's going to do well, even for those of us who like their Schiit.

Nice to have the USB output, but one can use other transports that use Coax or Optical inputs with a lot of desktop DACs...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

“The ASR crowd must be bumming rather hard this morning in regard to the Schiit URD CD player; there is no internal DAC and that means that they will actually have to listen to it and grade it based on the sonic performance connected to other digital devices.”

That is patently false. Amir’s AP has a digital input as well. We can perfectly well measure the performance of this thing without ever listening to it.

henologist

Pretty funny for him to write a dig like that when his main role at the site is re-wording press releases.

mrbungle

That’s the new pitch? Show them ASR cultists by buying this overpriced design piece? Might actually work in these stupid times we are living in…

Pe8er

Forum Donor

MRC01

Major Contributor
For $1300 it had better play everything: CD, DVD-A and SACD. With other features like HDCD decoding and proper de-emphasis. And emit the raw bits without downsampling or conversion. And have optional built-in DSD to PCM conversion, for DACs that are PCM-only.
It doesn't, which makes it overpriced.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
For $1300 it had better play everything: CD, DVD-A and SACD. With other features like HDCD decoding and proper de-emphasis. And emit the raw bits without downsampling or conversion. And have optional built-in DSD to PCM conversion, for DACs that are PCM-only.
And Make Coffee while doing the laundry. :D

Snoopy

Major Contributor

DSD and schiit? Is that even possible with their strange unison usb ?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Makes you pine for Oppo Digital.
Yes, I had my trusty old BDP-83 in mind (which cost less than $1300) :) may it never die!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is patently false. Amir’s AP has a digital input as well. We can perfectly well measure the performance of this thing without ever listening to it.
I think @amirm should get his hands on one of these and test it purely out of spite :p

… yes I’m quoting myself, sue me :eek:

… oh, and don’t forget to mention the guy in the obligatory YouTube video :cool:

Top Bottom