• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh really, is there a shortage of chips at the moment? Just AKM or are all brands affected?

Yeah it’s been out of stock here for a couple of weeks and a lot of stores were saying around 15th April. Today still no stock and I’ve seen that estimate pushed back to mid June, so quite a serious delay, really.

This dac uses AKM dac chip. Their plant had a huge fire some months ago killing production . So everyone as been using up stock obviously. I don't believe you can simply swap dac chips without wholesale re jigging the boards /redesigning products.

edahl

Oh really, is there a shortage of chips at the moment? Just AKM or are all brands affected?

Yeah it’s been out of stock here for a couple of weeks and a lot of stores were saying around 15th April. Today still no stock and I’ve seen that estimate pushed back to mid June, so quite a serious delay, really.
There was a fire at the factory

iwantobelieve

This dac uses AKM dac chip. Their plant had a huge fire some months ago killing production . So everyone as been using up stock obviously. I don't believe you can simply swap dac chips without wholesale re jigging the boards /redesigning products.

I just read about it. Terrible news for the industry. No I’m sure it’s not exactly a drop in replacement to a competitor’s chip!

mkarikom

I was shocked that the warranty on this model is only 6 months. They don't seem optimistic about its longevity.

By comparison:
  • Topping gets 2yrs from Apos (to all audiophiles: "chifi" stands for AAA warranty coverage)
  • Samson gets 2yrs mfg (not "studio quality", but it's everywhere from Hooters to the White House)
  • Lake People gets 2yrs mfg (another German mfg)

I guess it might have something to do with "studio" usage patterns?
Like maybe they flog these little instruments so hard that they are more like consumables?

EDIT:
I APPARENTLY MISREAD THE DOCUMENTATION, THE US WARRANTY IS 2 YRS

Last edited:

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The warranty time is country dependent, and that is clearly stated in the manual. US is 2 years, as most countries. Southern California is part of the US, right? ;)

Some go up to 5 years (like UK).

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I ordered from Thomann. They provide three years of warranty, typically an extra year on top of the manufacturer's two.

iwantobelieve

The warranty time is country dependent, and that is clearly stated in the manual. US is 2 years, as most countries. Southern California is part of the US, right? ;)

5 years in the U.K. is excellent

mkarikom

Awesome, thanks for confirming this and for making such a stellar product. I updated my previous post to make note of the error!
If you don't mind answering a related question:
I've noticed that used RME products are frequently listed in the ASW classifieds, are the warranties on these products transferable?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Where is warranty not bound to the purchase date, but the (first) owner? Can't believe there is a country that has such a flaw in its consumer protection laws.

mkarikom

Where is warranty not bound to the purchase date, but the (first) owner? Can't believe there is a country that has such a flaw in its consumer protection laws.

I agree this is really sad.

In US, the FTC seems to only require that non-transferrable warranties be labeled "limited warranties".

For instance, Schiit only covers the original purchaser. But schiit is really more of a "consumer brand", as opposed to RME which seems to cater toward professional (studio) use. I think commercial mfg in US tend to offer these more comprehensive warranties as well.

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny question. Since this device only supports 5 PEQ filters, how do you choose which filters to use from a 10 filter PEQ file? Trial and error??

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny question. Since this device only supports 5 PEQ filters, how do you choose which filters to use from a 10 filter PEQ file? Trial and error??

Oratory 1990 has quite a lot of eq profiles for the rme now. But for me, get the bass level about right then address any serious peaks or troughs rather than worry about overall compliance.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You'd really need one designed from scratch for 5 bands.

You can actually get 7 bands by giving up on the fly tone controls and using the bass and treble adjustments as static shelves.

Poyopoyo

That confirms the measurements published earlier on the ADI-2 DAC thread: Not only it performs great, but it exceeds the specs of the chip itself! (113dB THD+N).
As a former AKM employee, you might find interesting that AKM specs are usually under the reality. They tend to put the worst cases (or impossible cases!) as typical value... also their consumer products are often closed to automotive quality which is usually much higher.

edahl

I think there were two factory fires. One at AKM's factory, and then another at the factory that AKM was using to make chips because of their fire. So it was a real double whammy.
Damn that sets a lot of things pretty far back. Must take a very long time to rebuild.

butch111

Today tested for fun a RME v2 against my A90/D90 Stack......AKM 4493 vs 4499....no chance hugh?!........I can sell now the Topping crap :oops:

Top Bottom