• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME DPS-2 Linear Power Supply

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From their Facebook below. Link for the manual with measurements here:

438833509_417670377681885_7887561360538628791_n.jpg

#RMEAudio launches DPS-2: Super Low Noise Linear Audio Power Supply with Unique µFilter and Sensor Technology: https://rme-audio.de/de_dps-2.html

The new DPS-2 is an exceptional linear power supply that boasts not only impressive technical data but also a wide range of unique and highly useful features. For instance, the compact device features two differently filtered outputs. The housing and front panel of the DPS-2 are based on the ADI-2 series, accommodating RME's innovative circuitry design on only half rack width.

Two Outputs
The output Linear is a traditional DC output but is equipped with multi-stage passive and active filtering including a 30,000 μF capacitor bank, a ferrite choke as well as an active output filter with a hybrid voltage regulator.

The second output is based on RME's proprietary μFilter technology. Here the signal from the pre-filtered Linear output is also processed by highly efficient active filters to achieve an exceptionally clean DC output with just a few µV (micro-volts) noise. In addition the output has sensor technology, which measures and adapts the output voltage directly at the DC connector of the supplied DC cable. As a result the output impedance and load regulation are extremely low, thus ensuring a clean output voltage of +12.0 V at 2.5 A load, completely avoiding any load-dependent voltage drops.

Hum-free Operation
The additional use of both a 2-stage HF filter and DC filter on the AC mains side enables the DPS-2 to deliver optimum performance without interference noise. This is also ensured by the 60 VA audio toroidal transformer with additional isolation winding and magnetic tape shielding, guaranteeing absolutely hum- and noise-free operation in any situation.

If necessary the GND lift switch can be used to disconnect DC ground from PE (protective earth) for eliminating humming or buzzing noises. In this case safety is not affected since the primary part and the housing stay firmly connected to PE of the power inlet. In addition the DPS-2 comes with a ground terminal screw connection to earth other devices or to use an earthing other than PE for the audio power supply.

Quick Status Overview
The DPS-2 features two status LEDs on the front to provide a quick overview of the operating modes and error conditions (power, thermal and power overload, undervoltage, short, active output). Via a recessed push switch on the front panel users can enable an AutoDark mode with LEDs only lit on power on and errors.

Another unique feature is the 24-page manual, which shows the technical data in detail using many measured values, illustrated with measurement diagrams. It also contains background information on linear and switching power supplies.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If RME would like to expand further into the consumer market I can think of better ways of doing it that this. For example a Qudelix competitor leveraging their Remote software would awesome, as would a power amplifier to complement the ADI 2.

This on the other hand look like a solution to a problem RME has already solved with built in switching power supplies.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Alkanshel

I’m a bit confused on what this does. Does this affect headphone output power at all?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I understand capitalism but still a little disappointing, when their designer states that the performance of their products will not be improved by an external power supply.
Edit the manual states that, ‘the choice of power supply is not critical’.

Keith

Last edited:

markstein

RockShop offers this for 1.049 EUR.

Will definitely keep my ADI-2 Pro FS R stock power supply...

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
One important reason why this new supply exists is that for precision measurement purposes the stock SMPS supply had too much mains leakage current which could affect measuring unbalanced gear. The high mains leakage current also caused some irritation in other scenarios.
And while they were at it, they also improved the supply voltage signal itself because for the sake of engineering.
Finally, it's also an excellent supply for other devices.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, disappointed to see that RME is entering this line of business.
They do not claim any audible improvements, tho.
I understand capitalism but still a little disappointing, when their designer states that the performance of their products will not be improved by an external power supply.
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf Edit the manual states that, ‘the choice of power supply is not critical’.
Same. But this could impact ultimate performance (measurable domain ≠ audible domain) out of its ADC.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest I expected the manual to show differences in measured performance in XLR/RCA/HP out and ADC in. If there are improvements, it would be a selling point, and let the owner choose between price x marginal performance improvement.

Last edited:

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is this Power Supply supposed to improve? In their DAC ADI-2 forum they have always dismissed the idea that a better linear Power Supply can improve anything.

markstein

KSTR outlines a valid - and very limited - use case for this product, however, looking at the overall design ("Hifi" feet, dimmable status LED), this power supply seems to be targeted mainly to the high end audio market. Fair enough.

If I would like to buy such a supply, I would certainly trust the RME design.

But why should anybody want to buy such a thing?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
One important reason why this new supply exists is that for precision measurement purposes the stock SMPS supply had too much mains leakage current which could affect measuring unbalanced gear. The high mains leakage current also caused some irritation in other scenarios.
And while they were at it, they also improved the supply voltage signal itself because for the sake of engineering.
Finally, it's also an excellent supply for other devices.
So amps connected in the same power strip will show less hum or noise if i understand correctly?

markstein

There is no hum using balanced (XLR) connections.

markstein

Let us agree on the following: I do not notice any hum with my equipment, using balanced connections. :)

Out of interest, and to educate myself, may I ask you to further elaborate why my statement is wrong?

Top Bottom