• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SylphAudio's High-Performance Amplifier Modules (2024 and Beyond)

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
This will be our ASR thread for SylphAudio updates, where you can stay informed about the latest developments and engage in open discussions about SylphAudio modules.

Feel free to ask questions, share your thoughts, and provide feedback to help us continuously improve our products!

Our Product Release Roadmap for 2024
1704873803519.png

We are excited to unveil our upcoming audio module: the FB100 100W High-End Class-D Amplifier.

• Supply Voltage: 24V DC min to 38V DC max
  • Unclipped Power (<1% THD+N, 38V): 50W-8Ω, 100W-4Ω
  • Input Configuration: Fully Differential
  • Output Configuration: Stereo BTL
  • Input Sensitivity: 4V RMS
  • Voltage Gain: 12dB (~4V/V)

Designed with advanced PFFB without compromising the TPA3251's output power, resulting in remarkably low distortion and minimal noise output. Its IMD, high-frequency distortion, and other metrics stand out as best in class.

The heatsink employed is ATS-TI1OP-519-C1-R3 (designed for TPA3255), ensuring that the idle temperature does not surpass 48 degrees Celsius at a free air ambient temperature of 28 degrees Celsius when used with the TPA3251.

The preamp section utilizes a split power supply, eliminating the need for an additional set of input coupling caps on the preamp frontend. This configuration allows for only one series input coupling cap in the signal path per amplifier, eliminating any coloration or haziness that additional input coupling caps might introduce to the overall sound. The module comprises four single-ended amplifiers, configured with 2-channel differential inputs and 2-channel BTL outputs.

Thanks to the split power supply, the preamp supply regulation remains operational even if the system power supply is reduced to 24V DC. Additionally, it features dedicated post regulators for each preamp rail and a separate post regulator for the TPA chip supply.

A heat spreader has been placed on the preamp section to ensure cooler and more reliable operation. We've employed special layout techniques to produce an ultra-low THD+N preamp, a primary contributor to the overall sound of the amplifier.

Oversized film capacitors for the class-D output filter and Zobel network, and flat wire output inductors have been meticulously selected to elevate the overall sound quality.

Upon listening to this class-D amplifier module, you'll immediately associate it with the word "refinement." An endgame amplifier for small music studios or home audio.

It will be available for sale in a couple of weeks at $176 each. We will submit it for ASR review once the casework is complete.

387448254_242535815316538_9138033619548521652_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SylphAudio

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Upcoming audio module: SE800 PFFB High Power (PA / Subwoofer) Class-D Amplifier
Supply Voltage: dual ± 25V min, ± 85V max
Unclipped Power (<1% THD+N, ± 85V): 350W-8Ω, 700W-4Ω
Input configuration: Differential / Single Ended
Output configuration: Single Ended
Input sensitivity (PFFB): 2.5V RMS
Voltage gain (PFFB): ~26dB

All switching housekeeping supplies, which enables wide supply voltage range.
Can be used with a 2Ω load if powered with a lower power supply voltage like ± 60V DC.
Designed with PFFB to reduce load dependency and improve noise and distortion. 5W at 4Ω THD+N is -82dB.

It will be available for sale in a couple of weeks (76 USD ea).

Prototype picture, board size is 140mm x 70mm
1701516014990.png

Last edited:
OP
SylphAudio

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
SE800 PFFB prototype FFT measurements using ± 76V SMPS power supply.
With 4Ω load and ± 76V SMPS power supply, THD+N is being maintained from -85dB to -80dB up to 400W. 1% THD+N is at 600W
The module can also do a 1200W 3 second burst into 2Ω load. Also tested stable with a parallel 2.2uF into 4Ω with 600W output power.

If gain is more important, and the module will only be used for subwoofer duties, the PFFB can be disabled which will increase the voltage gain to 32dB (40V/V).
C0G caps are being used on critical areas to avoid parameter drift due to MLCC's cap aging through the years.
Also has a temperature monitoring on key areas to shut down the module on abnormal conditions.

4R 5W.PNG

300W 4R.PNG

Starts to become odd order harmonics dominant and the THD+N also starts to go high at 400W onwards. With 4Ω load and ± 76V power supply, 1% THD+N is around 600W
400W 4R.PNG

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks for sharing )
Any pre-measurements for the SYLPHAUDIO FB100 ?
I guess the "boutiques modules" plate is a heat spreader ? (I suppose you don't want to fall into the same scenario as Topping with their PA5 lol)

OP
SylphAudio

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Any pre-measurements for the SYLPHAUDIO FB100 ?
Will wait for AP measurements, maybe I can send the complete amp to ASR by 1st week of January.
Users with Cosmos APU and ADC should easily get a measure of 107dB to 108.5dB at 5W 4ohm with the FB100 module.

I guess the "boutiques modules" plate is a heat spreader ?
Yes, it's a heatspreader, you can add a heatsink for cooler operation. Pic below

1702988363079.png

Will flip the heatspreader as someone had suggested that the "boutique" word has a bad connotation.
1702988654960.png

daniboun

Major Contributor
Will wait for AP measurements, maybe I can send the complete amp to ASR by 1st week of January.

Should be nice to share asap )
What are the major changes compared to its Topping PA5 II counterpart?
Are the inductors Sagami? (if so, for price reasons?)

connotation
Being French... "Boutiques" only mean "Shops" ) Unless it is pejorative in English):rolleyes:

OP
SylphAudio

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
What are the major changes compared to its Topping PA5 II counterpart?
Are the inductors Sagami? (if so, for price reasons?)
Major change is better performance measurements.
For the output inductor I prefer not to disclose the actual model no. The performance is best.

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Major change is better performance measurements.
For the output inductor I prefer not to disclose the actual model no. The performance is best.

Makes sense and makes me remember this from 3E Audio :

1702991693222.png

OP
SylphAudio

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Here's the preview of FB100 and FB360 chassis for our ASR entry. Still waiting for some parts.

403618820_1355069031789054_5724800663417245930_n.jpg

I also tested mornsun LOF550. Problem is that the 48V version can only go up to 51.4V DC when adjusted to max voltage. I need to up it to 52V to achieve higher clipping point for the FB360.

With mornsun at max setting 51.4V DC, the FB360 can achieve 29.14Vrms at 4 ohms load before clipping.

At 52V DC supply, it should get 29.59Vrms (219W) just like the D400.

Here's a picture of LOF550 36V version with FB100

1702992601714.png

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Here's the preview of FB100 and FB360 chassis for our ASR entry. Still waiting for some parts.
These cases are cool, they were orderable on Audiophonics btw)

Can you share some pictures of the FB360 ?

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
I have a question that has been on my mind for a while) So why not ask it to you)

I have read some reviews regarding the possibility of using an unregulated SMPS single rail PSU with TPA3255 modules. I am referring in particular to the Micro Audio SMPS630-SO PSU which works like the Hypex PSUs. According to Micro Audio this brings a substantial improvement (VS regulated PSU)
To the extent that we don't have measurements to prove it.... what is your humble opinion on this?

I quote :

1702996248952.png

OP
SylphAudio

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have a question that has been on my mind for a while) So why not ask it to you)

I have read some reviews regarding the possibility of using an unregulated SMPS single rail PSU with TPA3255 modules. I am referring in particular to the Micro Audio SMPS630-SO PSU which works like the Hypex PSUs. According to Micro Audio this brings a substantial improvement (VS regulated PSU)
To the extent that we don't have measurements to prove it.... what is your humble opinion on this?

I quote :

View attachment 335473
Not sure with regulated vs unregulated but what I can say is that the power supply choice really affects the subjective sound of TPA325x modules.
When I use my adjustable no-name switching power supply, I can hear 'Z' sound instead of 'S' on sibilance in some songs. With a meanwell LRS-350, no Z sound anomaly can be heard. With the stock 38V power supply of PA5, I can hear softer highs when I use that power supply on my modules.

So maybe micro-audio's unregulated supply is better built than others that why it sounds better.

Reason why I will not use Sami's power supply for our ASR build is that his supply is unregulated, and that the voltage will sag at full power, which will lower the power measurement of our amps. But for personal build, yes, I would opt for his power supplies.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Not sure with regulated vs unregulated but what I can say is that the power supply choice really affects the subjective sound of TPA325x modules.
When I use my adjustable no-name switching power supply, I can hear 'Z' sound instead of 'S' on sibilance in some songs. With a meanwell LRS-350, no Z sound anomaly can be heard. With the stock 38V power supply of PA5, I can hear softer highs when I use that power supply on my modules.

So maybe micro-audio's unregulated supply is better built than others that why it sounds better.

Reason why I will not use Sami's power supply for our ASR build is that his supply is unregulated, and that the voltage will sag at full power, which will lower the power measurement of our amps. But for personal build, yes, I would opt for his power supplies.

For my part, I would be very curious to see the effects for myself... besides, I think I'm going to order a Micro Audio PSU for the pleasure of testing)
I found some measurements of a TPA3255 coupled with an SMPS630-SO PSU... it seems clean to me)

1702997986628.png

1702998004253.png

HYPEX PSU VS MICRO AUDIO

index.php

Last edited:

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For my part, I would be very curious to see the effects for myself... besides, I think I'm going to order a Micro Audio PSU for the pleasure of testing)
I found some measurements of a TPA3255 coupled with an SMPS630-SO PSU... it seems clean to me)

View attachment 335509

View attachment 335510

HYPEX PSU VS MICRO AUDIO

index.php
Oh wow I thought Hypex is the best in industry. Do you know why there is such a big difference?

daniboun

Major Contributor

Hemi-Demon

Would you be interested in making products for car audio using these boards as a base for 4 - 6 channel, 12 V amplifiers?

Top Bottom