• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sal's system

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I had an Adcom stack in college:

Adcom CD player
Adcom GTP-400 tuner/preamp
Adcom 535 amp

I used to enjoy showing friends how I could unplug the amp from the wall and it would keep playing for 5-10 more seconds because of the power supply.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ya right. LOL

Right now its Intel NUC (Win 10 Foobar) - DX3 Pro - JBL LSR305P MkII + ML 1000W Sub + 65" Samsung TV. Don't mind me cause I think those Adcom amps are as good as the best.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I remember impressing my friends by unplugging my Adcom power amps from the AC and it would continue playing for a 5-10 seconds as the power supply drained...

All that shows is that Adcom skimped speaker on protection and AC-off muting. Even a little 30+30W Marantz 1060 will play for about 30 seconds with the power turned off.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Right now its Intel NUC (Win 10 Foobar) - DX3 Pro - JBL LSR305P MkII + ML 1000W Sub + 65" Samsung TV. Don't mind me cause I think those Adcom amps are as good as the best.
Thank you very much for the compliments. So many around here have 2 speakers worth more than my entire system. ;)

Last edited:

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey Sal,

One thing we don't do enough here on ASR is show off our sound systems enough. Always keen to know what others are doing. Although, through discussions in the forum we often get an idea of who's got what.

I might pop up some pictures of my set up, you can see in my profile picture but I don't want to hijack your thread.

Tell me are you happy with the Marantz with external power amps in general? Okay for music?

How well versed are you with the Marantz? Do you know if its possible to have two different set ups in terms of crossovers/Audyssey and pre outs. Lets say If i have two different applications one for stereo and another for multichannel with different speakers. I change speakers into the corresponding amps and change the set up from the Marantz is that possible?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I agree, it's nice to see the rigs of the people we talk to so much. I tried to stir up interest in it for quite a while, hard to get some folks to go along. Look at the date of my OP, just a few weeks after Amir started the site. LOL
I've got new speakers coming and have made a few changes since that last photo was put up. I'll update it for sure after I get the new speakers, they're a surprise for all but a couple here. LOL

I love my Marantz 7703, it sounds beautiful with the best material, if I do say so myself. Before that I had a 7701 which I sold to Blumline 88 and he measured & reviewed here. He still uses it for his HT AFAIK. I only sold it cause I wanted to get into Atmos & DTS-X immersive stuff.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marantz-avr-7701-dac-measurements.3485/

I wouldn't take much to heart from the reviews. Amir is a tech head and is never happy unless a unit measures perfectly, but I highly doubt that any of the measured weaknesses are actually audible. All loudspeakers distortion & other problems are orders of magnitude worse than the pre-pro and hearing them above the speakers problems is highly doubtful. Beyond that you'll have Audyssey room correction and when combined with the Editor app will allow you to do a damn good job DRC

How well versed are you with the Marantz?
After a number of years with the two units I believe I'm fairly well versed. I believe your asking if the 7703 can hold two different configuations internally so you can just switch back and forth, sorry no, it's not that easy. You could store 2 or more completely different system config's on thumb drives as "backups" and switch between them that way but it's not instant. It takes a while to do, maybe 5 minutes total?

Can't wait to get the new speakers installed

Trdat

Forum Donor
I didn't notice how old the thread was.

I am looking for the Marantz 7005 bidding on one as we speak, I just need Dolby pro logic for multichannel up-mixing I am hoping I can find it on the cheap. I am one of those who does look for descent measurements hence why I use, Hypex amps and the V90 DAC but I also try and see understand what is audible or not. If I have an option to purchase what we know mesures well I do, if there is no option then I check how audible it will be(although I am not an expert in understanding what is audible or not, but I do gather what info I can)

In this case I have no other option when it comes to AVR pre pro's that measure well in the affordable price arena, so the Marantz seems like the best option out there and with my Hypex power amps it should be good.

I had a feeling the Marantz would not have to option for two different settings, I just thought ill ask.

What speakers are you getting?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm still using Sal's 7701 in my HT system. Marantz has had the same basic performance metrics for more than a decade. I wish they were better, but don't think any of them are audible. They are good enough. And they are set up nicely for home theater use. The newer the unit the better the version of Audyssey it has.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Sal,

Just to confirm, you mentioned in the other post that your wondering why I wouldn't have any multichannel recordings as there exists excellent surround recordings. I can guarantee that nothing i will listen to will be multichannel recordings.

I'm keen to know how multichannel would work with stereo recordings. Let's say if all your recordings were in stereo would you still be this gung-ho on multichannel?

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just to confirm, you mentioned in the other post that your wondering why I wouldn't have any multichannel recordings as there exists excellent surround recordings. I can guarantee that nothing i will listen to will be multichannel recordings.
OK but if that's true then I take it the only music you listen to must be your own recordings? There are tons of discreet multich recordings available in everything from Classical to Acid Rock? And more coming all the time.

I'm keen to know how multichannel would work with stereo recordings. Let's say if all your recordings were in stereo would you still be this gung-ho on multichannel?
If there was no such thing as home theater also, I can't really say for sure.
But for decades there was little available in multich sound except for movies on VHS and Betamax tape, and during all that time I always had a HT set up and often played upsampled stereo on it for enjoyment.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sal,

I disagree with Sal on this I think. If I only had stereo source material, I'd not have multi-channel. I've not found processing to more channels to be helpful vs native stereo. Many say the newer object oriented surround processing with height finally does make up-processing to more channels much better. I've not had a chance to hear those so I couldn't say. On all other up-processing of stereo I've found it not to be helpful. Most I actively dislike.

Now if you have real multi-channel source material then MCH is worthwhile. Very much so. I for a long time was in the camp of spending extra money to improve stereo being a better option, but I've changed my mind. Partly because some less than expensive gear has improved including speakers and you don't have to drop that much quality to have 5 channels instead of two. It has swung the equation in favor of MCH in my opinion.

Trdat

Forum Donor
I disagree with Sal on this I think. If I only had stereo source material, I'd not have multi-channel. I've not found processing to more channels to be helpful vs native stereo. Many say the newer object oriented surround processing with height finally does make up-processing to more channels much better. I've not had a chance to hear those so I couldn't say. On all other up-processing of stereo I've found it not to be helpful. Most I actively dislike.

Now if you have real multi-channel source material then MCH is worthwhile. Very much so. I for a long time was in the camp of spending extra money to improve stereo being a better option, but I've changed my mind. Partly because some less than expensive gear has improved including speakers and you don't have to drop that much quality to have 5 channels instead of two. It has swung the equation in favor of MCH in my opinion.

I'm trying to untangle your post, it seems a little contradictory. Your saying that you have gone from the stereo camp to multichannel partly because less expensive gear has improved(agree and understand) but then you say that if I only have stereo content I should stick to stereo.

So I am presuming your listening to multichannel source material if you have swung in favor of MCH?

And yes, although I listen to everything in stereo and still curious why multichannel guys can't understand why that is so, I do listen to a lot of live concerts but nothing in MCH recordings and never will. But curious if upmixing live concerts that are recorded in stereo might have improved SQ in MCH? Of course standard stereo content won't get improvement I have experimented on a home theatre with a centre channel but with concerts I got a different feel. What is your opinion on that? Still stick to stereo for stereo content?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to untangle your post, it seems a little contradictory. Your saying that you have gone from the stereo camp to multichannel partly because less expensive gear has improved(agree and understand) but then you say that if I only have stereo content I should stick to stereo.

So I am presuming your listening to multichannel source material if you have swung in favor of MCH?

And yes, although I listen to everything in stereo and still curious why multichannel guys can't understand why that is so, I do listen to a lot of live concerts but nothing in MCH recordings and never will. But curious if upmixing live concerts that are recorded in stereo might have improved SQ in MCH? Of course standard stereo content won't get improvement I have experimented on a home theatre with a centre channel but with concerts I got a different feel. What is your opinion on that? Still stick to stereo for stereo content?
If your content is stereo, stick to stereo. I've never heard upmixing improve it.

Yes, my multi-channel listening is only with mch sources. If the source is stereo, I drop back to stereo only.

Now I wish all material were mch because I think mch beats stereo. It can do so at lower cost than in the past.

Unfortunately with so much listening via headphone dominating the market I doubt MCH will become the norm anywhere other than movies. Even then few people have more than stereo for that.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If your content is stereo, stick to stereo. I've never heard upmixing improve it.
Be sure your next AV upgrade includes Auro, it might change your position there. ;)

Trdat

Forum Donor
If your content is stereo, stick to stereo. I've never heard upmixing improve it.Yes, my multi-channel listening is only with mch sources. If the source is stereo, I drop back to stereo only.
Now I wish all material were mch because I think mch beats stereo. It can do so at lower cost than in the past.
Unfortunately with so much listening via headphone dominating the market I doubt MCH will become the norm anywhere other than movies. Even then few people have more than stereo for that.

Really appreciate your decisive answer. Although you are going against the norm when most are saying go multichannel, even Floyd Toole believes a up-mix does wonders these days but your opinion matters. Also, no one is really clear on an opinion for stereo upmixed other than you. It seems many MCH guys are listening to MCH recordings and are praising that while forgetting that I do not use any MCH material source.

I was hinged on the fact that live concerts that are mice'd separately(although still mixed in stereo) might get an improvement with that centre channel. But if live concert are not getting improvement in your opinion I might quell my MCH quest(not totally rejecting it) and take my time deciding on how to move forward.

Unfortunately there is no opportunity to listening to MCH where I am or comparing it to different systems to make an informed decision. Even when I returned to Australia I popped up many posts on forums to see who would like to show off there system and meet fellow audiophiles but either it was a lack of hospitality(which is unlikely for audiophiles) or even Australia doesn't have this large market of different types of set ups to listen to.

PS. Disclaimer. In no way am I having a go at MCH guys, your info has been very precious and I still scour your posts to come to a better conclusion. Just pointing out that it seems many MCH opinions are based on MCH recordings and or don't separate clearly if they love multichannel regardless of lack of MCH material source.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My priority is for the that Bouzoukia or Guitar to slam into my face(and the bass drum of course) even at low volumes and i can't decide if the centre channel is going to do it or a PA style sensitive compression driver in stereo is going to give me that. I am guessing for the music I listen to, which is techno and live Oriental music (which can be seen closer somewhat to classical with its instruments) but essentially its like rock with Oriental Instruments so my point is maybe if i can get some quality dynamics I wont need the immerssiveness. But that centre channel is giving me that guitar without it like a phantom image in the background. (I am so confused!!)
I feel that the guitar is always in the background but at the concert its not.
Trdat, over on the other thread you posted the above. To this I would say if these are your goals they can be most easily and cheaply accomplished via a good DRC system or maybe even just a good equalizer. You are probably on track thinking about some good compression driver-horns aimed right down your throat and some tweaking of the room response.. IMO your goals probably won't be accomplished with a multich system and if you have no interest in the movie/home theater side of it I wouldn't go there.
Do what unfortunately is very difficult today and go listen to some speakers. I might get stoned for this here but if possible go listen to some Klipsch Heritage stuff or some studio monitor type horn systems.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Trdat, over on the other thread you posted the above. To this I would say if these are your goals they can be most easily and cheaply accomplished via a good DRC system or maybe even just a good equalizer. You are probably on track thinking about some good compression driver-horns aimed right down your throat and some tweaking of the room response.. IMO your goals probably won't be accomplished with a multich system and if you have no interest in the movie/home theater side of it I wouldn't go there.
Do what unfortunately is very difficult today and go listen to some speakers. I might get stoned for this here but if possible go listen to some Klipsch Heritage stuff or some studio monitor type horn systems.

I am totally with you from the point of view that it seems your suggestion is what matches my goal. And believe it or not, many in the DIY forum agree that compression drivers are the only way to get life into your speakers of course if that is your goal. So checking out large PA style speakers is not a heresy but a proven(semi proven:cool:) upgrade just like multichannel is.

The only thing that pulls me towards multichannel is some reflections I might get from a MCH set up in my dead room which could possibly enhance the sound and add some reverb that i am missing.

No I dont watch movies, only television and the centre channel does help with voice but I might be able to get my cheap AVR fixed for under 100 bux where I am and use that for now. So point taken.

So yes, its a tough call, either way I would love to upgrade and either or will be fun and give me some extra SQ. Just didn't expect it would be this tough to decide.

TO be honest I am still indecisive but I will let you know what route i take. It also depends on deals that might pop up, and second hand gear for sale... If the Okto comes around for a descent second had price then i might go active crossovers and PA if i find a Denon X3600 then i might just go multichannel a lot is hinged on the pre amp/multichannel DAC

regards

Top Bottom