• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV P2 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 30 13.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 33.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 105 48.2%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, detailed measurements and listening tests of SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $999.
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier unbalanced review.jpg

The design follows the new look of the VMV D2R DAC. I am not a big fan of the new look but maybe you are. Nice to see the three common output jacks with the balanced output being differential (i.e. increases power). The volume control is analog with a definitive minimum and maximum. I was very surprised to see the gain controls positioned in the back:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier back panel preamplifier review.jpg

If you use multiple headphones with very different sensitivities, this will be an annoyance, having to reach back here to change settings. Fortunately for the set of headphones I use, the medium gain was sufficient.

On positive front, the connectors seem very high quality. And oh, the whole unit weighs a ton and feels like it is made out of solid lead. This is nice when it comes to plugging and unplugging headphones and not having to hold on to the unit to do so.

FYI company claims that there are 99 opamps used in the P2! They must be paralleling a lot of them to get maximum output power.

SMSL VMV P2 Headphone Amp Measurements
I performed all of my testing using balanced XLR input. Was hoping I could do the same with XLR output but performance there is lower than unbalanced:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier measurement.png

SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier unbalanced measurement.png

Fortunately both are audibly transparent so no practical issue. Ranking is up there as far as amplifiers tested with difference being a less than 1 dB:

best balanced headphone amplifier review 2024.png

The noise floor of 1/4 unbalanced headphone output is superb:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier unbalanced SNR measurement.png

Best to use the unbalanced for sensitive IEMs to get near top of the class noise performance:
best headphone amp 2024 review.png

best headphone amp 2024 zoomed review.png

Frequency is dead flat and seemingly so forever:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier unbalanced frequency response measurement.png

Using same unbalanced output we have plenty of power with excellent performance in low and medium gain (and nearly so in high gain):
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier unbalanced power 300 ohm measurement.png

SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier unbalanced power 32 ohm measurement.png

Power naturally goes up good bit due to differential signaling of the balanced headphone out:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier power 300 ohm measurement.png

SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier power 32 ohm measurement.png

That is insanely high amount of power into 32 ohm!

Note that there is no clipping in low and medium gains which means if you hear distortion, it is your headphone that is complaining, not the amplifier.

The P2 has plenty of current to almost keep its output constant, resulting in such high amount of power into lower impedances:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier power vs impedance measurement.png

Most amplifiers start to drop their output voltage at or below 50 Ohm but not here.

Channel matching is quite good for analog volume control:
SMSL VMV P2 balanced stereo headphone amplifier Channel balance ohm measurement.png

Company says they have taken extra care to keep accuracy here so hopefully your sample will be as good as mine.

SMSL VMV P2 Headphone Amplifier Listening Tests
I put the amp in high gain mode, fed it from my RME ADI-2 Pro DAC, and set the volume quite low. I nearly fell off my chair when I hit play! The sound was so loud that I had to rip the headphone off my head. The gain is quite high in high gain mode so even low volume settings is liable to create high loudness despite me testing with my insensitive Dan Clark Stealth headphone (XLR out was used for all the listening tests). I set the gain to medium and that was plenty loud to drive the Stealth into distortion. I swapped it for the Dan Clark E3 which handled more power but it too cried uncle (at around 2:00 pm on volume control). The sound was absolutely superb with amazing detail and authoritative bass.

Switching to Sennheiser HD650 produces the sublime experience I look for when you can feed this headphone with plenty of power. Bass response comes alive and fidelity becomes so good you want to sit there and just praise the combo.

Considering that you still have the high gain to use, there is not a headphone you can't power beyond their max power handling with VMV P2.

Let me again warn you to not use the high-gain without setting the volume to minimum before playing anything. Your hearing may be at risk otherwise!

Conclusions

The objective performance of VMV P2 is near perfect. I wish it was optimized for balanced than otherwise but still, full transparency is there together with incredible drive capability. Listening tests confirm this and then some showing essentially infinite amount of power to drive any headphone you throw at it.

The aesthetics and usability is not completely to my liking but is not a showstopper.

I am going to put the SMSL VMV P2 on my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Bleib

Major Contributor
Reminds me about old videogame consoles
1706167911024.png

Bleib

Major Contributor
It’s great to see end-game performance like this is now available to anyone. I really like the unconventional look, too.

If they could just improve the filter options on the matching DAC.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank Amir.

One should always remove headphones from his head before adjusting the controls of a Dac/amp or change EQ settings, to avoid a mega ear blast. It happened to me once with IEM and I have had ear ringing for days.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
FYI company claims that there are 99 opamps used in the P2! They must be paralleling a lot of them to get maximum output power.

99 opamps.png

And the best thing? Even if a bunch of opamps fail, the unit will keep working. Inbuilt spare parts. ;)

But I would expect the unit will run rather warm. Opamps get hot, and 99 of them will produce quite a lot of residual heat.

Bleib

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This is their flagship, why have they abandoned relay volume control, which gives perfect channel balance ?

Expense, noise and long term reliability. They made the right choice in my opinion- as long as the pot is a good one. A decent pot lasts 30-40 years. If you'd replaced as many small signal relays as I have, you'd steer clear of relay based volume controls too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But I would expect the unit will run rather warm. Opamps get hot, and 99 of them will produce quite a lot of residual heat.
It does indeed get warm just sitting there.

Top Bottom