• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Midguard just died and the blue smoke escaped

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Calvin's dad's method would only determine the weight capacity of the first bridge. The second could have a lower tolerance.

The safest thing to do would be to repeat the process three times and then use the average weight of destruction of all three bridges to set the official weight limit.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Calvin's dad's method would only determine the weight capacity of the first bridge. The second could have a lower tolerance.

The safest thing to do would be to repeat the process three times and then use the average weight of destruction of all three bridges to set the official weight limit.
Better to include a container ship in the calculations as well I think.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I cannot believe I am going off topic :eek::facepalm: ;) but the late, lamented FSK bridge could be subjected to intense crosswinds during the typical Bawlmer summer squalls. My parents got stuck on the span of that bridge one summer afternoon in 1980 or 81 when a storm blew an 18-wheeler partway off of the bridge. The driver was in the cab of his truck, dangling over the side.

shuppatsu

Schiit responded by email. Gave me the option of an exchange or a refund. I said I want to do an exchange.
Glad to hear it. But do we know if this is a manufacturing defect or a design defect? Or something in between, such as something that shouldn’t happen with parts within normal tolerances but lacking a fail-safe that ought to be there?

Recently I’ve been plugging and unplugging my headphones several times a day, using my 6XX across multiple devices. I’d definitely find lowering the volume to zero to be very annoying, especially since one of the devices is a PS4 and changing the headphone volume requires accessing a hypervisor submenu.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Glad to hear it. But do we know if this is a manufacturing defect or a design defect? Or something in between, such as something that shouldn’t happen with parts within normal tolerances but lacking a fail-safe that ought to be there?

Recently I’ve been plugging and unplugging my headphones several times a day, using my 6XX across multiple devices. I’d definitely find lowering the volume to zero to be very annoying, especially since one of the devices is a PS4 and changing the headphone volume requires accessing a hypervisor submenu.

I did a search and didn't find anyone else reporting the same issue. I think I just got a defective unit.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Two questions. Did you screw it up? If yes, does anyone know? If no, the flow chart changes the answer to question 1 to "no" and all is well. If yes, you are screwed.

Does it have short circuit protection? If so, then it may have failed to function as it should. Amazing how one fried resistor can stink up an amazingly large volume.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did a search and didn't find anyone else reporting the same issue. I think I just got a defective unit.
I have read of other peeps here @ ASR that had the same issue and a fried headphone amp. It happens. :D

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
Two questions. Did you screw it up? If yes, does anyone know? If no, the flow chart changes the answer to question 1 to "no" and all is well. If yes, you are screwed.

Does it have short circuit protection? If so, then it may have failed to function as it should. Amazing how one fried resistor can stink up an amazingly large volume.

I didn't do anything different from every other day in the month I had it. It was in daily use with some days having multiple times where I would plug in and unplug the headphones. (not rapidly, I mean after listening for a while).

I don't know if it has any type of protection, but Schiit seems to be a competent company so it should be well designed and as mentioned, the very small manual that comes with it doesn't specify any need to take any precautions like turning it off or lowering the volume before plugging or unplugging headphones.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I didn't do anything different from every other day in the month I had it. It was in daily use with some days having multiple times where I would plug in and unplug the headphones. (not rapidly, I mean after listening for a while).

I don't know if it has any type of protection, but Schiit seems to be a competent company so it should be well designed and as mentioned, the very small manual that comes with it doesn't specify any need to take any precautions like turning it off or lowering the volume before plugging or unplugging headphones.

I guess I should make clear paragraph one was a "joke".

On the serious side, since you have unplugged it many previous times with no issue, then likely the protection circuit failed. Good thing Schiit is taking care of your Schiit!

Top Bottom