• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Midguard just died and the blue smoke escaped

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
viking_funeral.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Bob from Florida. Was it you that suggested Jameson for me as triple distilled tasty treat? if so I must thank you. Very good stuff for sure. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not me. I would have suggested Knob Creek Kentucky Bourbon.
Nice! I checked and it is available here in my area of Canada. $50 a ~quart sized bottle. I'm really getting a nice variety of taste testing and bourbon is something I have not delved into for decades.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Nice! I checked and it is available here in my area of Canada. $50 a ~quart sized bottle. I'm really getting a nice variety of taste testing and bourbon is something I have not delved into for decades.
I don't think you will be disappointed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think you will be disappointed.
I'm going to be a happy camper. I was also sipping The Famous Grouse for awhile and it has kinda become bland if in the glass for more than ~20 minutes and really requires freshness or it looses all flavor and becomes a non tasty liquid. The better stuff does not do this at such a fast rate. I remember bourbon as being tangy and very tasty but not the bite of a strong scotch.
Famous_Grouse_logo%2C_2012.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Brian Hall. Any chance Schiit might let you keep the fried unit? It would be a great science project.

JCM800

@Brian Hall Did you hear a significant audible improvement with the Midgard over the magni? I’ve been contemplating the same upgrade.

Mr Swing King

^Regarding Schiit headphone amplifiers and pretty much every other competently made amp, the differences tend to be visual rather than audible.
Once you hide the amplifiers from view and volume match the units, they become indestinguishable from one another.
I haven’t heard the new Midgård but I’ve blindtested several Schiit amps and never heard a difference outside of the Valhalla 2 vs solid state. The Valhalla 2 is actually fairly transparent under normal listening levels but when the music turns down to a low flicker or some times during acoustic passages, the left channel emanated a high pitched sound. Funnily enough I’ve heard this sound over the 3 other Valhalla 2s I’ve listened to, so I figure it’s part of the design.

My advice would be to focus on an amp with low output impedance, sufficient juice to drive whatever cans you’ve got, great build quality as well as having all the connections you need. Outside of those factors, you’re really just paying for make-up on the piglet.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I doubt it. They should want to check it out themselves to see what happened to it.
"We" will find out, eh? ;)
Seriously -- it doesn't hurt to ask if they need it back. After all, unless they give you a prepaid shipping label, you can just claim frugality (or poverty) and balk at spending 15 bucks or whatever to mail it back to them. OK, I don't really advocate that latter approach, but I mention it for completeness. ;)

JCM800

^Regarding Schiit headphone amplifiers and pretty much every other competently made amp, the differences tend to be visual rather than audible.
Once you hide the amplifiers from view and volume match the units, they become indestinguishable from one another.
I haven’t heard the new Midgård but I’ve blindtested several Schiit amps and never heard a difference outside of the Valhalla 2 vs solid state. The Valhalla 2 is actually fairly transparent under normal listening levels but when the music turns down to a low flicker or some times during acoustic passages, the left channel emanated a high pitched sound. Funnily enough I’ve heard this sound over the 3 other Valhalla 2s I’ve listened to, so I figure it’s part of the design.

My advice would be to focus on an amp with low output impedance, sufficient juice to drive whatever cans you’ve got, great build quality as well as having all the connections you need. Outside of those factors, you’re really just paying for make-up on the piglet.
Glad it’s not just me. I can’t tell the diff between my magni 3+ (ss) or vali 2 (tube).

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Brian Hall Did you hear a significant audible improvement with the Midgard over the magni? I’ve been contemplating the same upgrade.

The Magni+ sounds great as does the Midgard. The Midgard has more power available and has balanced connectors on the back in addition to RCA. It also has an XLR input for headphones in addition to the usual 1/4" input.

The Midgard has an input selector switch for RCA or XLR so it can support both types of input. The Magni+ has RCA only.

Upgrade to the Midgard if you want more power or for the additional features. Don't do it expecting a "night and day difference" in sound quality.

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"We" will find out, eh? ;)
Seriously -- it doesn't hurt to ask if they need it back. After all, unless they give you a prepaid shipping label, you can just claim frugality (or poverty) and balk at spending 15 bucks or whatever to mail it back to them. OK, I don't really advocate that latter approach, but I mention it for completeness. ;)

They did provide a prepaid shipping label.

Top Bottom