• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

flowolf

I tried full range correction (40-20 000 Hz) with my low budget setup (Raspi running Volumio, Hifiberry DAC+ADC Pro, SMSL A100, Pro-ject Speaker Box 5, Rel TZero), untreated asymmetrical Room, bad speaker placement due to room and WAF constraints, no dedicated listening spot, as the room serves different purposes (kitchen, dining, living,... ). so i took moving mic measurements over quite a large area. Quite happy with the results, as we are mostly listen at very low levels (with loudness activated). I ended up using the flatest house curve, as every other sounded way to bass-heavy.

left: (blue - uncorrected, yellow - predicted, green - corrected response)
left.jpg

right: (green - uncorrected, blue - predicted, brown - corrected response)
right.jpg

both:
both.jpg

next I will try better sub integration, so that I don't need to attenuate the speakers this much.

graxxus

Currently just 2 channel as I am in-between subs. Living room with very little flexibility as to where I can position speakers, so my Revel find themselves 5' up, on a 15" deep built in, thin windows behind, each close to corners. Not ideal.
Measurements taken from 14', speakers toed in and slightly angled down. EQ via MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

Room, 9' ceiling, open on two sides with wide doorways.
LR_Overhead_dims.jpg
LR_3D.jpg

Measurements performed MMM.
Left and Right, no EQ
LR_NoEQ_NoSub_Target.jpg

Left and Right with EQ
LR_EQ_NoSub_Target.jpg

Attachments

• LR_NoEQ_NoSub.jpg
    LR_NoEQ_NoSub.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 62
  • R_EQ_NoSub.jpg
    R_EQ_NoSub.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 52
  • L_EQ_NoSub.jpg
    L_EQ_NoSub.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

graxxus

Currently just 2 channel as I am in-between subs. Living room with very little flexibility as to where I can position speakers, so my Revel find themselves 5' up, on a 15" deep built in, thin windows behind, each close to corners. Not ideal.
Measurements taken from 14', speakers toed in and slightly angled down. EQ via MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

Room, 9' ceiling, open on two sides with wide doorways.

Measurements performed MMM.
Left and Right, no EQ
View attachment 254685

Left and Right with EQ
View attachment 254686

And now with a quickly configured Rythmik E15 added to the mix:
LRS.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My classic listening sofa system KEF LS50 Meta + sub corrected to flat MMM based response around the listeners position below 500 Hz and flat anechoic LW above 500 Hz:

1678974923283.png

Same DRC strategy as above for my KEF LS50 Anniversary + sub desktop listening system:

1678975003633.png

napfkuchen

My room is 7,5 x 4m (listening-area only 16m² on one side):
IMG20230320182417.jpg

The room is open to a corridor and the kitchen. So traditional rules for subwoofer-placements don't apply. I tried several positions for the subwoofers and these are the results:

before:
Screenshot 2023-03-20 180855.jpg

after:
Screenshot 2023-03-20 180806.jpg

Are there any recommended target curves? So far I just applied the defaults which adds 2 db to the bass frequencies.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any recommended target curves?
No, the bass just needs to be flat or follow the slope of the in-room response. The most important thing is that you address the room modes, which you have done nicely. However, you still need to apply a low-pass filter to your subs. 80 Hz is the typical crossover frequency.

napfkuchen

So I set the low-pass filter on my subwoofers (maybe 80 Hz oder 90 Hz) and also in the loudspeaker settings of my AVR? Can't find such an option in Dirac.

radix

Major Contributor
So I set the low-pass filter on my subwoofers (maybe 80 Hz oder 90 Hz) and also in the loudspeaker settings of my AVR? Can't find such an option in Dirac.

What device is doing the DSP? Or what's the full audio chain?

napfkuchen

What device is doing the DSP? Or what's the full audio chain?
It's Denon X3800H to the speakers. Dirac runs on the computer and the corrections are applied to the AVR.

radix

Major Contributor
It's Denon X3800H to the speakers. Dirac runs on the computer and the corrections are applied to the AVR.
Ah, ok. I've not used DIRAC on the Denon yet (I have a 6700). I know on the minidsp, one has to set the crossover outside of DIRAC before running DIRAC.

napfkuchen

Ah, ok. I've not used DIRAC on the Denon yet (I have a 6700). I know on the minidsp, one has to set the crossover outside of DIRAC before running DIRAC.
Thanks, I have set the Crossover now and will measure again with Dirac. :)

PowerSerge

KRK V8S4 in my office measured at 6 foot distance. Speakers were set to -2db at 10khz shelf. No other eq. I forgot I had them set that way when I did the measurement. Also the woofer was ear level instead of in between the woofer and tweeter like the manual states since it sounded better to me this way.
V8S4.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
just one of the many JBL professional cinema , JBL 4673A

JBLTHXc.jpg

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
just one of the many JBL professional cinema , JBL 4673A
Oh wow - that's +-10dB broadband. Sure the scale is right?
For music JBL PA is known for that - but such a stong mid cut for voice/cinema ...

But low frequencies seem very nice - that's the hardest to get right ;-)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For music JBL PA is known for that - but such a stong mid cut for voice/cinema ...
That 20 dB "bathtub" curve is really extreme, but in retrospective thinking about some past experiences at JBL powered cinemas it might not be too far away.

Andysu

Major Contributor

But low frequencies seem very nice - that's the hardest to get right ;-)
yeah great is it , strong done that to experiment . the lowest part is tricky takes many manual Eq hours
scale is set at 10dB steps rather than 5dB

well back to experimenting again and hail laserdisc for theatrical mixes , lot of testing and THX headaches

Top Bottom