• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ben1987 @Sophia Ann I did some more troubleshooting...

XLR output, Bluetooth as in the input - same issue.

XLR on Left, RCA output on the louder (right) channel - problem solved and now level matched.

Leads me to believe there is an internal firmware issue or wiring issue? Please let me know how to proceed with either refund or dac swap with a dac that has been fully tested on the bench.
Switch XLR cables L > R, R > L

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. That didn't do anything...still have a very obvious imbalance with this dac compared to my other.

EDIT: I have swapped amp too and it's still there and traced to the DAC.

DAC > BSS BLU 50 > (2) Hypex NC502MP > JBL M2
@Ben1987 @Sophia Ann I did some more troubleshooting...

XLR output, Bluetooth as in the input - same issue.

XLR on Left, RCA output on the louder (right) channel - problem solved and now level matched.

Leads me to believe there is an internal firmware issue or wiring issue? Please let me know how to proceed with either refund or dac swap with a dac that has been fully tested on the bench.
Yeah I've done that already. No change

@Ben1987 @Sophia Ann

I have done everything I've been asked including PM's to no avail. Please let me know what is next until I fix it myself...

Theriverlethe

About this ESS hump... Is the IMD level on the Y axis an absolute level or relative to the input signal? If it's the latter, it looks like the worst-case scenario would be around -25dBFS, with the IMD level at -95dBFS.

Tks

Major Contributor
Should I rethink about RME ADI-2 DAC that I just bought after reading this review ? I’m still under 45 days return period.

If you use the RME like any standalone DAC (one where you set it, and forget it), then I suppose this would be better economically speaking. But if any of the RME's features are used, I see no reason not to stick with it.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you not return it?

QC and after sales seems to be an issue with these companies at the moment, have a look at the M400 thread.
This has been an interesting experience to say the least. One would think that being on this forum they would take care of their customers but this isn't the case. It has been a struggle and still is a struggle with them not doing what they said they would. It doesn't look good for them or for @amirm

ChrisUK

This has been an interesting experience to say the least. One would think that being on this forum they would take care of their customers but this isn't the case. It has been a struggle and still is a struggle with them not doing what they said they would. It doesn't look good for them or for @amirm

Where did you order it from? Did you pay with Credit Card or Paypal? I am sure you can charge back the payment as the device appears faulty or even not fit for purpose.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you order it from? Did you pay with Credit Card or Paypal? I am sure you can charge back the payment as the device appears faulty or even not fit for purpose.
I got it direct from them and did have to submit a PayPal claim which they agreed to refund my money and pay for return shipping. The issue is that seem very slow on getting a return shipping label to me and it kind of seems a bit of kicking the can down the road to me. The claim is only good until 7/26 and they said Monday I'd have a label. Guess what, no label or pickup.

Sophia Ann

Audio Company
Have refunded @jtwrace three days ago. DHL shipping label also was sent to @jtwrace. It takes time to process, thanks.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

testp

Hello,

this is my first post here, and first buy following asr forum and amir testing. In short.. happy camper with Sgd1. i ordered from audiophonics.

My 15y. old Marantz cd5400 player just could not compete with it, i guess. i also appreciate Bluetooth feature, sending spotify audio directly to it.
sound wise, it definitely sounds more resolved, notes and stereo separation way way nicer indeed, compared to 15y. old cheap dac.

question:
Tried to update using phone's hotspot, calling the hotspot ANIG, psw 12345678, restarted Sgd1, but did not see any changes to sgd1 lights,
does that mean that sgd1 is up to date? ( i did see SGD1 disconnected from phone hotspot in 1 min.)

cheers,
Tp

Ben1987

Audio Company
question:
Tried to update using phone's hotspot, calling the hotspot ANIG, psw 12345678, restarted Sgd1, but did not see any changes to sgd1 lights,
does that mean that sgd1 is up to date? ( i did see SGD1 disconnected from phone hotspot in 1 min.)
Yes, SGD1 is the latest software and does not need to be updated.

Ben1987

Audio Company
SGD1 related certificate (CE/Rosh/FCC), if you need, please click to download.

1595987860941.png

pl_svn

@Ben1987 just bought an SGD1 from Purité Audio :)

I'm trying to set up OTA fw updates but:
- on iOS App Store there are three different EspTouch apps :rolleyes:
- one just doesn't work, the second one never gives confirmation of successful connection and the third one... *maybe* did work but the whole process was totally different from what I see in User Manual's screenshots

also... after completing the above, SGD1's "Volume led" is now flashing: what does this mean (no mention about in User Manual)
oh... wait... while I was typing display went totally dark. but music is still playing :-|

Ben1987

Audio Company
also... after completing the above, SGD1's "Volume led" is now flashing: what does this mean (no mention about in User Manual)
oh... wait... while I was typing display went totally dark. but music is still playing :-|
In fact, yours doesn't need an upgrade, it's the latest firmware. The light is flashing, it's silent. Refer to the SGD1 upgrade guide for more details.

pl_svn

Refer to the SGD1 upgrade guide for more details

thank you Ben, the upgrade guide is right what I was referring to: nothing in EspTouch for iOS (iPhone) looks as in there
and, sorry, I still don't get what the flashing light means :-/ (had to turn SGD1 off then on again to restore normal leds status)

Last edited:
Top Bottom