• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonic Lamb Headphone with Subwoofer Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 40 39.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Azathoth

Quite impressed to hear that as far as your first impressions go, it's not a bad headphone. I thought you'll be disappointed in some way.. This headphone is clearly going somewhere, but that road is still quite a distance away..

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What a strange headphone! Frequency response looks awful with crazy random waves and what looks like really poor channel matching and especially at 3-5kHz. No subbass too. Then you've got the weird resonances in the treble that are seen in the distortion graph, albeit perhaps this is not going to be audible as 94dB blue line was ok, but still other headphones don't have to have those issues. I would definitely have voted this headphone as "poor" if it wasn't for the fairly positive listening impression from Amir, so for me it just squeaked into "Not Terrible". Plus, also, the software seems buggy & unfinished.

What's the deal on the Tactile Subwoofer though?? What actually is that in the design?? How does that work, what actually is it?? I don't think it was really explained in the review. (Gonna read the other comments now).

Graph Feppar

They claim to use Qualcomm QCC 3034 as bluetooth chip and QCC5125 in aptx adaptive version. Was this the normal or aptx adaptive version? If you open Qualcomm website, it says QCC 3034 is "NOT FOR NEW DESINGS", why would they use this old chip in their new headphone? These arent budget headphones.

Honestly, since the Qualcomm has launched its new chips with XPAN loseless wifi, I am going to be dissapointed in every wireless headphones that dont have it.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Similar idea but different execution, the (discontinued) Nuraphone:
1713874365336.png

Although it looks like a headphones, it’s more a IEM/HP combo with the “shaker” in the headphones part.

There are a few IEMs with haptic drivers as well.

AetherDrive

I ordered these through the kickstarter and have owned them for 2ish months and my impressions are that they are fine for a portable bluetooth headphone at that price point. The overall sound profile is safe, it doesn't do anything poorly (mostly, more on that in a moment) but doesn't excel at anything either. I also keep the setting at 1, sometimes at 2, while 3 and 4 can introduce some nasty audible distortion at medium to higher levels, ime. I'll also parrot Armir's feelings about the lack of software control, it might be a pipe dream of a request but if we were to A) have EQ B) control the crossover point between the two drivers, controllable per profile. With that point specifically, the biggest issue I have is that there can be a disconnect between the two and I believe that if the dynamic driver were allowed to play lower and into the impact driver at the same time, it would sound fuller especially with deep male vocals. If we were given this functionality I think the product could become more of an interesting experience.

phoenixsong

Similar idea but different execution, the (discontinued) Nuraphone:
View attachment 365438
Although it looks like a headphones, it’s more a IEM/HP combo with the “shaker” in the headphones part.

There are a few IEMs with haptic drivers as well.
Oh, are they discontinued now? I remember having a chance to try them out in Australia before the pandemic hit. Also yeah, bone conduction drivers in iems are a thing as well

CedarX

Forum Donor
Oh, are they discontinued now? I remember having a chance to try them out in Australia before the pandemic hit. Also yeah, bone conduction drivers in iems are a thing as well
Nura has been purchased by Denon. Even if the Nuraphone has been discontinued, it should be viewed as a positive, denoting interest from the industry toward these haptic technologies…

mc.god

Roland301

I'm curious, what latency do you typically see for USB DACs?
I assume you are using universal ASIO output from AP software, and the Delay section of Acoustic Response measurement?
As I recall DUT Delay measurement only works for the AP's internal I/O.

USB latency with PC as the timing reference is often very inconsistent and artificially high due to buffering and other things in the USB data path.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm curious, what latency do you typically see for USB DACs?
I assume you are using universal ASIO output from AP software, and the Delay section of Acoustic Response measurement?
Yes, I am using Acoustic Response which computes the latency. Standard method I use for DACs doesn't do that so I don't have a number for that.

Roland301

Yes, I am using Acoustic Response which computes the latency. Standard method I use for DACs doesn't do that so I don't have a number for that.
Makes sense. I typically see 1-5ms latency for regular (non-DSP) USB DACs when measuring externally with a logic analyzer.

That said, I wouldn't dismiss the 100ms out of hand since it looks like DSP is involved.

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Interesting product, but that software scares me. Will keep an eye out for future iterations. I am still waiting for headphones that can give justice to Mahler's (almost) subsonic organ chords in his second symphony.

usersky

Forum Donor
Panasonic had tactile headphones in the 1996-1998-ish called the "Shockwave". They were bought with the discman at the time - it was about $250 for the discman and the headphones. I used to like the effect as a teenager. It was fun feeling those things pulsing against my ears. I forgot what they were called... They came in Yellow, Blue, or Black (both discman and headphones).

So, while this isn't a new idea, I welcome this product and hope they iron out their rollout. Shockwave headphones were cool as I was listening to a lot of Nine Inch Nails/alt rock/'90s Dance and am surprised it's taken almost 30 years for a follow up from another company!
Panasonic still sell such bass enhanced headphones. RB-M700 is one of these, here's how I measured it on MiniDSP EARS, it sounds atrocious as it comes, without EQ. It sounds / feels like there is some kind of spring inside that vibrates to produce some low frequency vibrations.

yewneek

Mandatory registration for any app is an instant fail and hard pass. There is simply no reason to intrude on privacy or demand details for the benefits to be fully enjoyed.

Failure is an option they clearly want to explore. I will assist anyone who wishes this by never purchasing their wares.

Next.
EDIT: if that's real horse hair in the box, and it's not been sterilised...wash your hands. And house :-/

Top Bottom