• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SpaceX launch their biggest rocket yet- fireworks guaranteed

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sometimes get the impression many journalists simply don't get the thought proces behind this approach.
it used to be you graduate from journalism school to become one. Now, even the editors are not. In general journalist are now the least educated white collar professionals out there.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sensationalism of media is terrible.

SpaceX said this will be a launch test. Their goal is for the rocket to lift from the pad. They wanted to test the engines on load and rocket’s lift from the pad. Any success after that was “icing on the cake.” How was it reported?

“Rocket exploded before reaching the orbit!”

Even reputable sources like FT, NY Times, Guardian including the BBC reported along the same lines, as if it was a failure. It was a bloody success!

This is why we cannot, and should not, trust the media.

Reputable sources? In what universe.

I love that the announcers on the live stream said Starship experienced a RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly). I love it.

Martin

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reputable sources? In what universe.
The English speaking world.

I love that the announcers on the live stream said Starship experienced a RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly). I love it.
Have you seen him and the others laughing as it was a joke.

staticV3

Master Contributor
who is going to clean all the toxic crap they just dumped into the ocean?
The wreckage will be recovered by SpaceX alongside local authorities:
Screenshot_20230420-213217_Chrome.png
Link with timestamp

The rocket used oxygen and methane as propellant, both of which are gaseous above -70°C, so will not dissolve into the ocean.
The rest of the rocket is solid, presumably insoluble in water, and, being a scrap pile of steel and ceramic, presumably not very toxic.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JRS

Major Contributor
The sensationalism of media is terrible.

SpaceX said this will be a launch test. Their goal is for the rocket to lift from the pad. They wanted to test the engines on load and rocket’s lift from the pad. Any success after that was “icing on the cake.” How was it reported?

“Rocket exploded before reaching the orbit

Even reputable sources like FT, NY Times, Guardian including the BBC reported along the same lines, as if it was a failure. It was a bloody success!

This is why we cannot, and should not, trust the media.
media doesn't do science--they are not trained, and most Americans wouldn't know the difference. Personally, I see this as a failure only diminished by a deliberate reduction of expectations--cheering as it self-destructed (probably someone on the teleprompter say cheer). 3 ignition failures and 3 more shut downs is an abject failure by any standard. Let Elon spin it any way he wants. If it were NASA congress, critters would be clamoring for a shut down.

The real tell will be how soon before they fire again. I have no problem acknowledging the success of the booster not crumpling under a dynamic load and getting thru max q seemingly intact, but getting the cluster right should have have been a given. The loss of stability also concerning. Bad luck that all the downed engines are on the same side?

And "unscheduled disassembly"-Really????? An embarrassment of the English language IMO.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
media doesn't do science--they are not trained, and most Americans wouldn't know the difference.
They could read the press releases and report accordingly.

Let Elon spin it any way he wants.
Do you also believe Bill Gates had chips in Covid vaccines? :facepalm:

And "unscheduled disassembly"-Really????? An embarrassment of the English language IMO.
Shame that you fail to understand comedy. Life for you must be sad…

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They carry mainly liquid oxygen and a smaller part methane. It looks bad but is probably insignificant compared to the gas that is flared of every day.
For future launches spaceX plans to generate the methane themselves from green energy.

The rest is mainly steel. The black part is ceramic tiles. And 1 battery pack in the nose cone.
Fortunately, methane's not much of a greenhouse gas. ;)
Plus, it all got converted, rather suddenly, to CO2 (EDIT: plus H2O, of course).

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It looks like the launch pad could use a flame diverter and some extra water cooling...

View attachment 280493

Apollo Frame Trench - one side of the pair under the engines

Steel diverter ramp then a place to go, wall covered with some kind of brick

1682024905814.png

I guess it rolled into place.

1682025126229.png

1682025204138.png

woofersus

Audio Company
FWIW despite some click-baity headlines, (generally not written by the journalists) pretty much every media outlet included the disclaimer that the bar for success was low here and they expect to do many more tests before everything works properly if reading the actual article. I was curious and looked at a few. Misleading headlines are annoying, but it seems like most of the actual journalists covering this did fine.

I watched the video after the fact and it was still exciting even though I knew what was going the happen, lol. I can't imagine being in one of those boats you see near the launch location.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom