• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stand Costs, Safety, Features

OP
D

dped90

Are you sure you need height adjustable? Most setups and be tilted slightly to find tune things.
That's half the problem. I haven't decided on the two pairs of main speakers, nor exactly where they will be placed relative to my 65" TV and my chair. Thus, line of ear placement is unknown. Again, the other problem is stability. Searching [ speaker stands with concrete bases ] This is the ONLY such product I could find, and discontinued too.
https://www.carousell.sg/p/giving-away-a-pair-of-ikea-speaker-stands-142001784/ You'd think that if IKEA were wise enough to use concrete bases (?? lbs) they would go the extra mile and make them adjustable.

If it wasn't for the pursuit of high fidelity sound, that I'm so far from, I'd quit all of this sickening overpriced misery in a heartbeat.

OP
D

dped90

Hi,
hanging them from the ceiling would be logical solution for your problem, although unconventional. Height adjustment - check, secure - check, affordable - check, 30lb weight limit - no problem. Aesthetics, well, wasn't on your list :D Could be invisible though, perhaps?

Generally speaking, aesthetics are generally no biggie. Indeed, there's a thread on this forum started by a very knowledgable and enthused member who submitted a plan for suspending high end bookshelf speakers with various anti-resonant techniques from the ceiling and/or from other structures. But no, that's way too ambitious for my blood. My problem is that no brand that makes speaker stands wants to make them safe, heavy, adjustable and affordable. And because I can't DIY them myself my plans are in the toilet.

OP
D

dped90

OP
D

dped90

Buy hollow stands many are made to add weight. Go to your local tire shop, like Costco, and ask them for the old wheel balance weights, the used ones they take off cars. Bring a bucket. Put the weights in the bottom half of the stands.
Assuming the weights are not made from toxic lead that's sounds feasible-IF I could collect enough of them to at least approach ~ 55 lbs x 4 stands. But you did give me an idea: Collect ~ 60 lbs x 4 of sand (endless supply here on Long Island). Put in each amount in some kind of virtually indestructible but very flexible bag which can be completely surround where the stand's pole meets its base. ???

OP
D

dped90

Just buy towers! So much easier. Many good options at $2K each.

Well, towers usually mean more drivers and larger cabinets, so to be of comparable sound quality (in the highs to middle midbass) to a two driver $2K stand mount speaker, wouldn't the tower likely be priced at a good deal more? Furthermore, unless their tweeter and midrange drivers had amazing off-axis response there would be no way to adjust their height.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Well, towers usually mean more drivers and larger cabinets, so to be of comparable sound quality (in the highs to middle midbass) to a two driver $2K stand mount speaker, wouldn't the tower likely be priced at a good deal more?
I suppose it depends on where you are on the "diminishing returns" curve for mids/highs.
Furthermore, unless their tweeter and midrange drivers had amazing off-axis response there would be no way to adjust their height.
Their height has presumably been engineered by the manufacturer for a standard range of seated listeners, so why would it need adjusting?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Assuming the weights are not made from toxic lead that's sounds feasible-IF I could collect enough of them to at least approach ~ 55 lbs x 4 stands. But you did give me an idea: Collect ~ 60 lbs x 4 of sand (endless supply here on Long Island). Put in each amount in some kind of virtually indestructible but very flexible bag which can be completely surround where the stand's pole meets its base. ??

Lead is fine. After all, you don't eat it.

And if you use sand, buy kiln-dried sand or your speaker stands will rust from the inside out.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Lead is fine. After all, you don't eat it.

And if you use sand, buy kiln-dried sand or your speaker stands will rust from the inside out.
This!

I've also heard brass can be good for filling the stands if you are really concerned about lead. Just avoid buying "shot" and look for "beads.
I used Kiln Dried Sand and it is fine.
For filling, I think I already saw it mentioned, but I like 2/3 to 3/4 full. You don't want to raise the center of gravity too high, but not enough filling won't do much to offer a counter balance to the weight on top.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Choosing speakers that can be bolted to the stand is job 1, not all speakers have threads on the bottom to do this.

I’ve found many stands are pretty stable at that point, it would take some intent to knock them over vs just a jostle or slide.

Stands that have a plate at the base, you can add additional weight beneath the plate. The closer to the floor, the more effective the extra weight is to prevent tipping.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I used some stools for my 65lb bookshelves, worked fine. Any stool can support 100-200+ lbs.

JSmith

Master Contributor
speaker stand "adjustable height"
You might think I'm being silly, but hear me out... bricks or similar are an option. No one is moving a pile of bricks and this will allow height adjustment too. One can paint them or just cover with a nice deluxe looking black material. Put some neoprene or similar on the top to ensure a less hard surface to place the speakers on.

JSmith

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Assuming the weights are not made from toxic lead that's sounds feasible-IF I could collect enough of them to at least approach ~ 55 lbs x 4 stands. But you did give me an idea: Collect ~ 60 lbs x 4 of sand (endless supply here on Long Island). Put in each amount in some kind of virtually indestructible but very flexible bag which can be completely surround where the stand's pole meets its base. ???

Beach sand contains salt which will cause rust and corrosion. The best thing to use for weighting speaker stands is steel shot blasting media.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes buy any cheap stand with hollow tubes fill them with sand or blast media .

Stand should have quite large diameter tubes so they take a lot of sand , skip the spikes they do nothing use furniture pads under the stand use some rubber pads to interface with the speaker or similar.

Or tower speakers, but then you should obviously compare prices with stand mounted speakers and thier stands .
The tower may then be cheaper look better and have the same footprint .

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Yes buy any cheap stand with hollow tubes fill them with sand or blast media .

Stand should have quite large diameter tubes so they take a lot of sand , skip the spikes they do nothing use furniture pads under the stand use some rubber pads to interface with the speaker or similar.

Or tower speakers, but then you should obviously compare prices with stand mounted speakers and thier stands .
The tower may then be cheaper look better and have the same footprint .
Spikes are for spongy/springy/fluffy carpet.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't really need super heavy stands as long as the bases are reasonably wide. The base plates on my stands are only about 30lbs but they're 21.5" x 21.5". My 8351Bs are definitely not going anywhere, in fact if you tried to push them over they'd slide around first.

Most Hi-Fi speakers are not designed to be bolted to anything though, so that's a flaw and it is one of the reasons I like the design of studio monitors better. Neumann and Genelec both have good, secure mounting points.

That's half the problem. I haven't decided on the two pairs of main speakers, nor exactly where they will be placed relative to my 65" TV and my chair.

It doesn't make any sense to pick stands before speakers, especially not if you want them to be secure.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TLDR. I have some speaker stands that I can fill (with sand/buckshot whatever) for stability but if they're not in an area where I walk (or have kids or pets) just not a concern....

puppet

You might think I'm being silly, but hear me out... bricks or similar are an option. No one is moving a pile of bricks and this will allow height adjustment too. One can paint them or just cover with a nice deluxe looking black material. Put some neoprene or similar on the top to ensure a less hard surface to place the speakers on.

JSmith
Why not just form up a couple concrete piers with pump jacks?
:) /silly

OP
D

dped90

I suppose it depends on where you are on the "diminishing returns" curve for mids/highs.

Their height has presumably been engineered by the manufacturer for a standard range of seated listeners, so why would it need adjusting?

Along with airy, tinkling highs with a naturally sounding dispersal pattern, it’s been said that much of music “lives in the midrange”. Certainly, the midrange band is where normal human hearing is most sensitive. No wonder many spend all kinds of money on 300B SET amps which are often said deliver a “magically” 3D and textured midrange. So, if a two-way stand mount speaker’s drivers, crossover parts, box build quality and engineering know-how can deliver that level of high
and midrange performance-plus equally good midbass quality-wouldn’t it likely cost a lot more to do so in a tower format?

After all, since towers are expected to deliver below well below ~ 70Hz, most include third, fourth or more drivers. And the sheer extra size and weight of a tower will demand a price likely well in excess of the ~$2K I’d pay for each of the stand mount surround speakers I need. In any case, what the stand mount speakers lack in bass response would easily be provided by my subs.

OTOH, you assert that tower speakers are designed to provide good off-axis response within some average range of (seated) distance from ear level. But where’s the proof that most tower speakers use drivers, installation geometries and cabinet designs that can deliver off-axis response as good as could most stand mount speakers-whether or not the stands have adjustable height?

Furthermore, manufacturing economics would dictate that only apparent scenario where both stand and tower speakers would be priced around $2K each would likely be with the larger tower speaker having a lesser design and/or parts quality, in which case HF, MF and/or midbass performance will suffer.

Thus, what seems a valid assumption is that if the goal is as much sonic realism across all performance parameters down to the midbass as ~ $2K to 2.5K per speaker will buy, you’re likely to get more value for your money from a stand mount speaker than a tower speaker.

Of course, while the requisite subs are no biggie for most users, the downside is that I’ll have to buy or build stands for each speaker, which likely won’t come cheap or take planning and know-how to build. And as I don’t want to extend the speakers too far into the room to achieve ear level the stands would have to be height adjustable. Furthermore, as I my floor is carpeted there are safety issues. So, I thought of those Konig & Meyer adjustable stands with the round base sunk into a round plastic mold of ~ 55 pounds of concrete. There are plenty of contractors in my area but how much it would cost to do four stands I don’t know.

Top Bottom