• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to layoff 17%

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Let's move on please.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Joke......Whoosh..........

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming lets you try before you buy. To keep musicians happy and EMPLOYED one must buy media or attend live performances. Also there is still radio from around the world on the internet and one can get more great music than ever. Finding good sources that meet one's standards takes time and tolerance for bad songs. I use the two song rule: two bad songs in a row > another station on my list.

coonmanx

Yes. Going to a record shop to buy a record and something they are playing over the store system catches your ear.

'What's this you've got on mate?' And he tells you and you buy a copy.

Likewise listening to the radio, they play something you never heard before but which you love. Then turning up the volume and listening intently to see if the DJ will say what it is. Sometimes they didn't, which was incredibly frustrating, but added to the challenge of seeking it out.

Now there are algorithms. Yes, more efficient, but IMO something that was important but intangible has been lost.
LOL. These days there is this thing called internet radio and it has this thing called a playlist. No need for a useless DJ...

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Music streaming makes up 84% of the U.S. music industry revenue.

Maybe Spotify needs so many employees because:

spotify%.png

Some recent posts in this thread makes it seem like some folks are stuck in the year ~2005. And would prefer to remain there... :facepalm:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. These days there is this thing called internet radio and it has this thing called a playlist. No need for a useless DJ...
I don't they are so useless if they listen to whole album and write a one paragraph review that you can search by various categories through 6-7000 reviews.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I was experimenting last week with distributing recordings of improvised music via podcast RSS. The convenience of podcast listening apps is good. And I like the way the sequencing of pod episodes makes them seem ephemeral, as though newer ones supersede older ones. All was going well until...

Guess what happened when I added the RSS URL to Spotify podcasts?

Spotify sent me emails saying my podcast episodes are forbidden content and directs me to how I can pay to have the items inserted into Spotify's music listings.

The problem is that Apple and Spotify have a de facto duopoly on podcast listening apps in the USA. So I think that kills the idea even though I like the result on the other apps.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree most DJs would not be missed. You do get the occasional good one. The American bloke who is on Planet Rock most weekday afternoons is very good. I don't know what his name is.

But you sort of missed my point - which is that the removal of a level of difficulty isn't necessarily a positive.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I'm confused. When Gregg McVicar stopped making UnderCurrents in the summer it was like the end of an era. People liked the programming and UnderCurrents was very widely syndicated. So why do you offer UnderCurrents as your example of the useless DJ?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

gabo4au

As an original artist since the early 80s, I can say that it's harder than ever to make a living with music. We got paid about the same for a "bar gig" in the 80s as we do now. And back then, the club would be full and people who listened and would buy your albums or CDs from you. These days, most of the people pay no attention to what you're playing at all and you don't sell much.

However, if you're interested.. Here is our latest release, which came out Nov 17th and is the 2nd single off our upcoming album which will be our 5th album. It is available on Spotify and Apple Music, Amazon, Tidal, etc. etc. etc. Feel free to find us and follow us! In the past 7 years, we've made almost $170 off streaming platforms so we're getting rich beyond compare! haha

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

2021 was... a while ago. Folks were wearin' masks and usin' zoom...
Not sure what Q2 2021 data have to do with Q4 2023.

How was "Twitter" doin' in Q2 2021? ;)
It is easy ro check on their quarterly report. They increased customers.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It is easy ro check on their quarterly report. They increased customers.
Market share?
I just thought it was odd for someone to quote data from nearly three years ago in the context of Spotify's current opportunities*.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Market share?
I just thought it was odd for someone to quote data from nearly three years ago in the context of Spotify's current opportunities*.

Some things take years to kick in.

Top Bottom