• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stax SR-009 BLK (80th anniversary) / SRM 727 II / SMSL SU-9 - Volume setting

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4708

For awhile I was looking to replace my speakers - and I worn myself out without being able to decide which ones I want. However, I remembered I always wanted the Stax SR-009 BLK so I bought them.
Just received them and now I am listening to the new setup.
I noticed the volume on the Stax amp (727II) is 2 out of 10 and it seems loud enough for me (actually kind of loud). The volume on the SMSL SU-9 is 99 (max) and set so by using "Volume Fixed".
Question:
What produces a cleaner signal: lower DAC setting for volume and higher on the Amp or reverse?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy

Digital attenuation may carry a certain amount of bit loss, but I don't think it should be noticeable at all, and less with a 32bit DAC. Anyway, probably the best setup would be to use the DAC in fixed output mode (not preamp) and control the volume in the analog domain.

Top Bottom