• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 86.5%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
I just found this thread while researching on how to keep my settings on the SPACE. I ordered from an online shopping app here in the Philippines. I was accidentally sent the SPACE instead of the SPACE LITE, so i got the SPACE for about 30.00USD.

I posted here to share how i got my SPACE updated to the Firmware that functions well with the 2.1.2 Android app.
I only have an Android phone so i am not sure how it would work for an IOS/Apple Phone.
I Edited the instructions to English and added some steps not indicated in the procedure, I hope this helps.
The LED is Colored Purple when in Low/2.0V Gain and is Amber in High/4.0V.

View attachment 317064
View attachment 317066

Low/2.0V Gain
View attachment 317068
High/4.0V Gain
View attachment 317069
Thanks - instructions are clear but where did you find the driver/ firmware install software bundles please?

Edit- guess all are in the space firmware upgrade here ? https://tanchjim.com/services/

MahiwagangKamote

Thanks - instructions are clear but where did you find the driver/ firmware install software bundles please?

Edit- guess all are in the space firmware upgrade here ? https://tanchjim.com/services/
Hello Jim,

Not from the website, i found it buried in this thread. I couldn't find it in the Tanchjim Website
I just used the website for the newest up since i wasn't sure if the included app in the file was the newest.
Edit: - Page 5 post #97 Sorry, what i attached shows as a link

Zebulon78

@MahiwagangKamote Thanks a lot for the tutorial, indeed the key point is step 6 to copy those 2 files on the desktop, worked perfectly for me while it wasn't from an extract folder!
The app is now controlling the device OK and vice versa controlling the device through its own buttons does reflect in the app itself.
Nice also the fact that with lighting->open you do have continous led emission that can be of the liking for some users and indicates the Gain level.
Note that for me the light doesn't switch from 1 color to the other when you do it from the app, but it does if you do it from the device buttons (although it does do modify the gain as you can hear) and for my sample high gain is green not yellow ;-)

MahiwagangKamote

@MahiwagangKamote Thanks a lot for the tutorial, indeed the key point is step 6 to copy those 2 files on the desktop, worked perfectly for me while it wasn't from an extract folder!
The app is now controlling the device OK and vice versa controlling the device through its own buttons does reflect in the app itself.
Nice also the fact that with lighting->open you do have continous led emission that can be of the liking for some users and indicates the Gain level.
Note that for me the light doesn't switch from 1 color to the other when you do it from the app, but it does if you do it from the device buttons (although it does do modify the gain as you can hear) and for my sample high gain is green not yellow ;-)
Happy to have helped, oh yeah i forgot about that part. the LED only changes when you use the physical button "+" and "-" to change from High to Low Gain. Not thru the App. But it's a good thing like you said to have the option to know, when the device is in high or low gain. Plus the option to have the LED off especially at night.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Jim,

Not from the website, i found it buried in this thread. I couldn't find it in the Tanchjim Website
I just used the website for the newest up since i wasn't sure if the included app in the file was the newest.
Edit: - Page 5 post #97 Sorry, what i attached shows as a link

I found it on the Tanchjim site https://tanchjim.com/services/ then the Space upgrade download under "other downloads"

And yes- it has worked- the app settings now "stick" on the Space. Good work!

Mokhtar

I will be using it as my everyday adapter for my phone from here on!
Using it for some time @amirm, I wonder if you are still happy with the audio quality, apart from the measurements. Or did it get replaced by another dongle?

I wonder how it might hold against Truthear SHIO (another dual-chip dongle but with CS43198) that offers strikingly similar functions and specifications!

https://shenzhenaudio.com/collections/dac/products/truthear-shio-dual-cs43198-d-a-chips-lossless-portable-dac-amplifier-dongle

Last edited:

Dovydas

Received both Tanchjim Space and iPhone 15 Pro yesterday. I can confirm that it works with all USB-C cables I've tried - the one included with Tanchjim and the one with iPhone. Also works with some random cable bought in airport. But at the same time iPhone works okay with Hifiman HM1000 Red (RRR Hymalaya) which did not work with older iPhone and USB-C - lighting cable. However can't male Tancjim app to work as it does not show connected device. Will try to update firmware today.

Dovydas

Received both Tanchjim Space and iPhone 15 Pro yesterday. I can confirm that it works with all USB-C cables I've tried - the one included with Tanchjim and the one with iPhone. Also works with some random cable bought in airport. But at the same time iPhone works okay with Hifiman HM1000 Red (RRR Hymalaya) which did not work with older iPhone and USB-C - lighting cable. However can't male Tancjim app to work as it does not show connected device. Will try to update firmware today.
Some more updates. After firmware update it stopped working, even though update was successful. Once it's plugged to any device, blue light turns on and device is not recognised by any device. Has somebody had this experience? Is it possible to force-reset it?

Some more updates. After firmware update it stopped working, even though update was successful. Once it's plugged to any device, blue light turns on and device is not recognised by any device. Has somebody had this experience? Is it possible to force-reset it?
I fixed it, here's the reddit link to my thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/inearfidelity/comments/15tnubv/_/jwoier9
Is reddit link allowed? Mods pls redact if not, I just joined :D

EDIT: use quality usb cable to flash the firmware, and then just use any normal usb cable, it works in my case. Firmware files from the update file of tanchjim zipped folder.

Dovydas

Haha, that's funny, I've shipped it back yesterday to Audiophonics as they agreed to take it back. So close... But the strangest thing is that even engineer from Tanchjim couldn't fix it. They connected remotely to my PC, tried to update firmware in usual way, failed and said that it's unfixable.

Haha, that's funny, I've shipped it back yesterday to Audiophonics as they agreed to take it back. So close... But the strangest thing is that even engineer from Tanchjim couldn't fix it. They connected remotely to my PC, tried to update firmware in usual way, failed and said that it's unfixable.
Glad that retailer is willing to take it back. In my case they won't take it back.. perhaps different policies I suppose..

Dovydas

Glad that retailer is willing to take it back. In my case they won't take it back.. perhaps different policies I suppose..
Tanchjim representative himself offered contacting reseller, so maybe this is the reason. Anyway, replaced it with iBasso DC04 Pro and have no complaints using it with Monarch mk3. Tried Fiio KA5, looked a bit too bright for Monarchs, but I'm no expert so take it with a grain of salt.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what's the best filter setting?
Depends how good your hearing is and what you are trying to achieve. Amir doesnt show the different frequency responses. Slow linear likely droops at the high end.

Talisker

Do not hesitate to install the Android Apps of Tanchjim to check or set the device.
Question to Amir : Which wave filter have used during your test ?

Screenshot_20231029_122150_TANCHJIM.jpg
Screenshot_20231029_122145_TANCHJIM.jpg
Screenshot_20231029_122125_TANCHJIM.jpg

Agnes

Question to Amir : Which wave filter have used during your test ?
Really interested in hearing a response to this, I'm holding off buying the Tanchjim Space as I don't know what the best filter is and how it performs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Really interested in hearing a response to this, I'm holding off buying the Tanchjim Space as I don't know what the best filter is and how it performs.

Agnes

Appreciate it, but I'm too ignorant to make any sense of this, I'd just like to be told what filter's the best.

Top Bottom