• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Testing a used speaker with REW before buying?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would bring a DATS v2/v3 and run an impedance sweep on each speaker instead.

Less time consuming to perform the test, and easily shows problems like a rattling port, shorted driver, or crossover damage. Also, non-technical sellers can be a little weirded out if you bust out the measurement mic. The DATS you can just explain as a fancy multi-meter to a layperson.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Less time consuming to perform the test, and easily shows problems like a rattling port, shorted driver, or crossover damage. Also, non-technical sellers can be a little weirded out if you bust out the measurement mic. The DATS you can just explain as a fancy multi-meter to a layperson.
Ver2 is discontinued I see. Maybe Ver2 is on sale? Ver3 seems available. Very snazzy tool. I love it. :D

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Run a sweep to excite the resonance, quickly locate the speaker with the toy in it, then remove. At the end, play some music to confirm the ghosts are gone.
Lots of good advice in this thread. Running sweeps is also how I traced down this buzzing return air vent in my office about a year ago. I had some sound deadening butyl on hand, so I cut and applied several strips to the back side. Worked like a charm.

IMG_9002.jpeg

MAB

Major Contributor

Yeah, that's a great one too and super comprehensive. If the seller freaks out when you pull out your test gear, DATS, mic, laptop, multimeter, etc. you likely don't want to buy from them. They are either too ignorant to know if they blew something or are just hiding a problem.
I sold a pair of fancy speakers on craigslist, the guy showed up with a stethoscope, a paper towel tube, and one of those illuminated magnifiers that a physician wears. I thought it was brilliant. We listened to all sorts of pink noise and sweeps, he was satisfied that the speakers were as advertised. It was way better than pretending we were enjoying music in my garage.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of good advice in this thread. Running sweeps is also how I traced down this buzzing return air vent in my office about a year ago. I had some sound deadening butyl on hand, so I cut and applied several strips to the back side. Worked like a charm.

View attachment 244336
Nice find. Lol... Find all sorts of stuff if one goes for it and dig deep into the sweep. :D

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Well, I don’t have one

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends, if he plans to measure the speakers at home, or if he will listen to them
Both! Listen, measure, EQ, measure, listen. Repeat as necessary.

Speaker problems are typically frequency dependent. Using music will only hit them randomly, and only if something else isn't masking it. So you could like them, take them home, and discover a problem afterwards. I'm paying cash.

You music-only folks are odd.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anymore, I just listen to 1kHz tones on a dummy load. Sure simplifies checking things out!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll comment, sometimes you can play music a long time before noticing some faults. You have to hit just the right note for an extended time.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion is: why not both?
Realistically if you're hunting for problems with a speaker in the sense that it may be broken, 99% of the time you will just waste time playing music.

Music is good and important for evaluating the overall performance of a speaker, you don't get a good sense of tonality or overall SQ from tones. But if you're "bug hunting" tones are your 1st, 2nd and 3rd tools to use.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I did two moving mic tests (one for each channel) and some sweeps on each channel. Looked like a pretty broad frequency response, apart from some obvious room modes. So I bought 'em. Just set them up, and they sounded a bit off. Oops! - still had the EQ for my JBLs on. Switched off the EQ. sounds great without correction, although there's at least one low frequency that is really getting the house moving. Will tackle that tomorrow. It's certainly nice to have low end, though. Kettle drum on Sibelius 1 was suddenly right there. And having the tweeters and mid a bit higher helps a lot in my sub-optimal setup here (see pix above).

These big speakers are a bear to pack up and move. I don't want to do that much more. Seller was a very nice guy, at least an occasional reader here. Looks like I’m the third owner of these. The seller is using Linton Heritage in his setup now (Matrix streamer/DAC, Benchmark amp). Aerospace engineer.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I did two moving mic tests (one for each channel) and some sweeps on each channel. Looked like a pretty broad frequency response, apart from some obvious room modes. So I bought 'em. Just set them up, and they sounded a bit off. Oops! - still had the EQ for my JBLs on. Switched off the EQ. sounds great without correction, although there's at least one low frequency that is really getting the house moving. Will tackle that tomorrow. It's certainly nice to have low end, though. Kettle drum on Sibelius 1 was suddenly right there. And having the tweeters and mid a bit higher helps a lot in my sub-optimal setup here (see pix above).

These big speakers are a bear to pack up and move. I don't want to do that much more. Seller was at least an occasional reader here. He's using Linton Heritage in his setup now (Matrix streamer/DAC, Benchmark amp). Aerospace engineer.
Far freakin out! A successful purchase/sale that required a fair bit of stuff to complete. :D

MAB

Major Contributor

These big speakers are a bear to pack up and move. I don't want to do that much more. Seller was at least an occasional reader here. He's using Linton Heritage in his setup now (Matrix streamer/DAC, Benchmark amp). Aerospace engineer.
I bet they sound great! Very happy!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice looking speaker. Dual 8's, nice tweeters, midrange, 3 way.... lots to like.
maxresdefault.jpg

Revel-Performa-F228Be_WA_Pair_RT-1605x1605px-hero.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice looking speaker. Dual 8's, nice tweeters, midrange, 3 way.... lots to like.
maxresdefault.jpg

Revel-Performa-F228Be_WA_Pair_RT-1605x1605px-hero.jpg
Hard to go wrong with modern Revels.

Mrjome80

Both! Listen, measure, EQ, measure, listen. Repeat as necessary.

Speaker problems are typically frequency dependent. Using music will only hit them randomly, and only if something else isn't masking it. So you could like them, take them home, and discover a problem afterwards. I'm paying cash.

You music-only folks are odd.
Who said I am the "music only" type?
It is always the argument of the measurent faction that some measured differences are not audible.
But in any case it is a fact that a possible error does not exist for you, if you do not hear it!
In addition, you apparently don't know how to determine such a thing by measurements - especially not under real conditions.

So why not just listen???

Top Bottom