• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The case for testing ovens on ASR

Zoomer

reel2reel.jpg

Here’s why “baking” damaged reel-to-reel tapes renders them playable again

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NOS or used open reel tape is always hit or miss. Any component format that you have to bake in an oven is something I'm completely over. I've owned a dozen open reel decks, and it's the only format I don't miss at all. Even an FM tuner or cassette deck might be more important, and I'd never own another FM tuner.

I used to buy from an outfit called US Recording Media. I checked and they are still in business. 1800 feet of ATR tape on a plastic reel is $30.00. I went to the ATR site and they didn't sell 3600 ft. 2500 ft of quarter inch tape on a metal reel is $120.00. I used to buy Maxell UD (reel) and UDXL (cassette) for home recording. Open reel for FM broadcasts, and cassette to make LP mixes for the car. I'd order mail order cases for not much money at all.

I was surprised to discover how ATR sells chrome cassette tape--10 pak (60 minutes) for $45.00. I thought high bias cassettes were history. That's almost cheap enough to buy a caseload if you still have a cassette deck. With media available, I'd almost be tempted to buy a refurbed Pioneer CT-9191-- just to have and look at. But I won't. Even if you can get one that's in good shape mechanically, where are you going to get heads for it? God knows what those tape heads look like after all these years.

Top Bottom