• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THREAD DELETED

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently got the Genelec W371A to match my 8351B. The system sounds amazing in the way it works around and with the room, no complaints here. I'm a sound engineer and do mix and mastering work, therefore there's one thing that's bugging me - self noise. I have a really quiet room, no fans or anything spinning on my gear. 8351B on their own are a bit noisy, but this isn't noticeable at the distance I work with - less than 2 meters. The W371A are a bit noisier and the noise coming from the 15" front driver is very directional, I have them facing me so I notice the noise when working on single tracks or between songs.
I contacted Genelec and they said it's normal for this design, well enough. The noise is coming from an amp, lowering the gain doesn't change a thing, it's always there even with disconnected input and using digital in. I have an idea though - what about putting passive low pass filter right before the woofer? The best mode in my room makes the W371A work the way they're rolling off to -60dB at 500Hz. Why not put a steep low pass filter at say 700Hz?
Recorded noise spectrum have a bump at 2.5kHz-3kHz (I assume it's self resonance of the driver which get's the white noise from the amp), when I recorded it and used a LPF with a slope of 18dB/oct at 700Hz it fixed it enough, I would be happy with something like this built in. Phase response of the filter doesn't seem to be bad in the working range.
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ire-audio-industry-a-fraud.40206/post-1868687

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• IMG_0303.png
    IMG_0303.png
    526.9 KB · Views: 38

rfpm

AFAIK I'm the only one complaining about it, hope they won't make B revision now leaving me with a discontinued model less than a year since purchase even if I provoke it lol. Nice thing was they used the same serial number on the amps so GLM recognised them as usual. The only visual difference I noticed was that the new amp PCB is G revision and previous was H, so I think there were already a few quiet updates to them anyway
Very interesting to know. Do you have any knowledge of what exactly the modification of the amp consisted of? What's different, etc? Also if the amp is now different and it's idle noise output (as well as I'm not sure if anything else has changed) deviated from the defined spec, does this mean when it's dealing with GLM there's perhaps a mismatch when calibrating it as the W371As output now technically deviates from spec? (If that makes any sense). For example, if there's the potential possibility that Genelecs blueprint of how the W371A should operate and what to expect when running GLM and getting a bounce back to the calibration microphone may now slightly deviate due to this amp modification?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure it's only the noise level that is different, visually both amps looked the same and they sound the same. I did calibration again anyway, as I changed the angles of 8351B a bit and updated the GLM to 5.x version, but there's just no difference in sound or at least none that I can hear or measure
Were you able to get GLM 5 to generate a GRADE report? I was not able to.

rfpm

I'm pretty sure it's only the noise level that is different, visually both amps looked the same and they sound the same. I did calibration again anyway, as I changed the angles of 8351B a bit and updated the GLM to 5.x version, but there's just no difference in sound or at least none that I can hear or measure
Ah okay, good to hear. Do you have any technical information regarding what was actually changed in the amps to lower the noise? What was done / changed?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see mine, but only the last one, so maybe there are measurements available only done after the GLM 5 update and with systems created in it, not in 4.x

View attachment 352687
I see. I upgraded to 5.0 and did a calibration but did not see the checkbox to order a report. 4.x had a checkbox but maybe I just didn’t see it in 5.0.

Top Bottom