• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@fendy323 And here’s an RCA option using the same pro Canare cable but with more audiophile bling ;-)

CANARE L-4E6S Hifi Audio Pure Copper HiFi Audio cable RCA interconnect cable with WBT-0144 RCA connector plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf84RNnG

Disclaimer: this is just an example. I don’t know this manufacturer and don’t know if their claims are correct. They might be selling you lamp cord hidden under a nylon braid. I buy cables and parts from Marketek.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@fendy323 And here’s an RCA option using the same pro Canare cable but with more audiophile bling ;-)

CANARE L-4E6S Hifi Audio Pure Copper HiFi Audio cable RCA interconnect cable with WBT-0144 RCA connector plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf84RNnG

I would be VERY wary of anything coming from an unknown Chinese source claiming to be made from branded components. Those are more than likely knock-offs.

I buy either cheap unbranded Chinese cables, Amazon basics, Monoprice, or from a pro-audio supplier like Markertek. If you want the good stuff pop for Mogami.

Martin

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I would be VERY wary of anything coming from an unknown Chinese source claiming to be made from branded components. Those are more than likely knock-offs.

I buy either cheap unbranded Chinese cables, Amazon basics, Monoprice, or from a pro-audio supplier like Markertek.

Martin
Possibly, I don’t know these manufacturers. That’s why I roll my own cables.

I buy my parts from Marketek. They also sell assembled cables and are a reputable pro source in the US.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

I buy either cheap unbranded Chinese cables, Amazon basics, Monoprice, or from a pro-audio supplier like Markertek. If you want the good stuff pop for Mogami.

Martin
Good point @Martin , I’ve added a disclaimer.

Pluto

Forum Donor
MQA technology was developed 10 years ago by Meridian founder to overcome congested streaming network
No, it was invented to make the Meridian founder a lot of money by appealing to that part of the music industry that saw its inherent (but stealthy) DRM as a useful way forward.

Nybto

Forum Donor
And cunningly marketed with a name that suggested, to susceptible punters, that no other format could be trusted to deliver the quality that it would provide..

burma

16-bit doesn't get "upsampled" it can simply be padded to get 24-bit bit-perfect files with much better digital volume control. Upsampling is changing sample rates..

Correct - I meant converted. Still the question remains - is this how it looks on Windows too? I don't have a PC, only a Mac, so can only say on macOS the system doesn't show any 16bit ability of the D90 (MQA in my case). See screenshot. Does Windows show 16bit options? Just curious if it's a driver/macOS thing.

@JohnYang1997 - thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 11.09.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 11.09.49 AM.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 120

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Correct - I meant converted. Still the question remains - is this how it looks on Windows too? I don't have a PC, only a Mac, so can only say on macOS the system doesn't show any 16bit ability of the D90 (MQA in my case). See screenshot. Does Windows show 16bit options? Just curious if it's a driver/macOS thing.

@JohnYang1997 - thoughts?

You can't even call padding 'conversion'. It is simply putting a 16 bit integer into a 24 bit integer. It is just easier for a computer to work with.
It is still a 16 bit value put in a 24 bit integer. No quality loss, no quality gain.

Your other question:

This is how the D90 device properties look on Windows:

1593790568276.png

So yes, here it shows 16 bit options.

burma

You can't even call padding 'conversion'. It is simply putting a 16 bit integer into a 24 bit integer. It is just easier for a computer to work with.
It is still a 16 bit value put in a 24 bit integer. No quality loss, no quality gain.

Your other question:

This is how the D90 device properties look on Windows:

View attachment 71741

So yes, here it shows 16 bit options.

Thanks for that. So it seems like a potential bug in macOS, perhaps with the latest firmware 1.24 for the D90 MQA units @JohnYang1997. Anyone with macOS with the D90 MQA on firmware 1.23 that can confirm or not if it shows 16bits? Or anyone with macOS and the non-MQA D90? Much appreciated.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Thanks for that. So it seems like a potential bug in macOS, perhaps with the latest firmware 1.24 for the D90 MQA units @JohnYang1997. Anyone with macOS with the D90 MQA on firmware 1.23 that can confirm or not if it shows 16bits? Or anyone with macOS and the non-MQA D90? Much appreciated.

Don't get too hung up on this. The DAC does not do 16 bits natively internally either. So it does not matter if your Mac shows 16 bits or not. Strictly speaking you may be right, but in practice you can simply use the 24 bits settings and don't worry about it. If I use the 16 bits settings in Windows it will be padded to 24 bits further in the signal path anyway.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
oh okee,
how about the xlr output? i mean that used for connect to a90 input, isn't it?
and can i use the rca output to my speaker at the same time? so 2 xlr and 2rca plug in together..
but how to chosee xlr (a90 headphone) or rca (speaker) for playing?
  1. Connect the D90 to the A90 using XLR cables. You are not going to get a difference in sound quality from very expensive XLR cables. There was just an extensive discussion on affordable XLR cables here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cent-inexpensive-relatively-xlr-cables.14328/
    if you just want a recommendation, I use the 1 ft version of these Mogami/Neutrik cables that are $18 each and work great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FT-Mogami-...-Female-balance-Star-Quad-Cable-/174206665672
  2. Connect the A90 to your speakers using the RCA output on the A90; they are labeled “Output.”
  3. On the left-most side of the A90 front panel, there is a toggle switch for PRE/HPA/OFF. “PRE” will pass the audio signal through the A90 to your speakers, so use this setting to listen to your speakers. “HPA” will send the signal to the headphone outputs on the A90, so use this setting for headphones.
    I have a A90 with this set up and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:

burma

Don't get too hung up on this. The DAC does not do 16 bits natively internally either. So it does not matter if your Mac shows 16 bits or not. Strictly speaking you may be right, but in practice you can simply use the 24 bits settings and don't worry about it. If I use the 16 bits settings in Windows it will be padded to 24 bits further in the signal path anyway.

Yes, I agree, but I'm just curious. Should be simple enough for someone here to post a screenshot to confirm or not. Was yours a MQA unit or not?

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Yes, I agree, but I'm just curious. Should be simple enough for someone here to post a screenshot to confirm or not. Was yours a MQA unit or not?

No, mine is a unit without MQA. Maybe there is a difference, but I am afraid I can't tell you that.

burma

1. Connect the D90 to the A90 using XLR cables. You are not going to get a difference in sound quality from very expensive XLR cables. There was just an extensive discussion on affordable XLR cables here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...cent-inexpensive-relatively-xlr-cables.14328/
    if you just want a recommendation, I use the 1 ft version of these Mogami/Neutrik cables that are $18 each and work great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FT-Mogami-...-Female-balance-Star-Quad-Cable-/174206665672
  2. Connect the A90 to your speakers using the RCA output on the A90; they are labeled “Output.”
  3. On the left-most side of the A90 front panel, there is a toggle switch for PRE/HPA/OFF. “PRE” will pass the audio signal through the A90 to your speakers, so use this setting to listen to your speakers. “HPA” will send the signal to the headphone outputs on the A90, so use this setting for headphones.

For step 2. above, one can also connect XLR from the A90 to the speakers instead of RCA, if the speakers have XLR inputs. Or you can go direct from the D90 itself to the speakers, though you'd have to control volume now from the D90. Seems easier and a cleaner solution to output from the A90 if it doesn't add anything to the signal coming from the D90 in any way. Not sure what the ideal setup is.

fendy323

@fendy323 This cable I found on Ali Express would fit your needs. It uses Canare star quad L-4E6S cables and is terminated with Neutrik XLRs. These use the same core ingredients (parts) I use on some of the cables I build.

Pair canare L-4E6S 5N OCC copper conductor audio Balance interconnect cable with NEUTRIK XLR plug connector HIFI Audio XLR Plug
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dWOC2CE

Disclaimer: this is just an example. I don’t know this manufacturer and don’t know if their claims are correct. They might be selling you lamp cord hidden under a nylon braid. I buy cables and parts from Marketek.
thank you for the advice sirr, this is really helpfull :):)
anyway how about this cable? is it good? click

I would have both connected with XLR and switch manually. If that’s not convenient, I’d recommend the shortest cable be RCA and the longest XLR using (shielded) professional microphone cable - star quad if available.

so basiclly, we can't use RCA and XLR output on D90 together, isn't it ?
anyway if the shortest cable be RCA and the longest XLR, how to choose the device we want?

For step 2. above, one can also connect XLR from the A90 to the speakers instead of RCA, if the speakers have XLR inputs. Or you can go direct from the D90 itself to the speakers, though you'd have to control volume now from the D90. Seems easier and a cleaner solution to output from the A90 if it doesn't add anything to the signal coming from the D90 in any way. Not sure what the ideal setup is.
it's mean if i use A90, is better unplug it from d90 ?

woahh., oke i will try when my package arrive sirr :D
so basicly for xlr cables, just buy the shortest ? like 0,25m ? how about this cable? is it good? click

oh ya, any different play speaker on A90 vs D90 sir ?

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anyway if the shortest cable be RCA and the longest XLR, how to choose the device we want?

Yes. D90 to speakers means you will have to switch from headphones to speakers using the D90, and the volume knob on the A90 will not do anything when you are listening to your speakers. A90 to speakers means you will have to switch from headphones to speakers using the A90. They both should sound the same (@JohnYang1997 correct me if I'm wrong here please).

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
The cables look good. My Chinese skills are extremely limited, I can only recognize a handful of characters, but looking at the pictures it looks good.

Last edited:

UCrazyKid

so basicly for xlr cables, just buy the shortest ? like 0,25m ? how about this cable? is it good? click

Get whatever you want made here: https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

fendy323

Yes. D90 to speakers means you will have to switch from headphones to speakers using the D90, and the volume knob on the A90 will not do anything when you are listening to your speakers. A90 to speakers means you will have to switch from headphones to speakers using the A90. They both should sound the same (@JohnYang1997 correct me if I'm wrong here please).
okay, thank you sir :)

The cables look good. My Chinese skills are extremely limited, I can only recognize a handful of character, but looking at the pictures it looks good.
hahaha me too, thanks to google translate :oops:

Searching for "kaiboer" on AliExpress you can find them with descriptions in English as well
i still confused buy kaiboer 0,25m or buy mogami gold 0,9m (shortest)
the mogami price maybe more expensive than kaiboer, in china marketplace kaiboer is the best selling for their xlr but in aliexpress no one buy :rolleyes:o_O
If you were me, which one would you buy? especially for the lenght of the cables 0,25 vs 0,9