• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Mordor

My first post here:
After +- 30 years, decide upgrade my old system:
Bought a Fosi Audio V3 amp, and Elac Debut 6.2 speakers.

My biggest use is music and movies/TV.
Its my first "DAC" and i absolutely don`t understand nothing about it. Since i need some kind of diferent sources entry, i decide for this DAC.
I just want connect it to the TV for movies/audio, using optical, or my android box with also optical and has Sabre audio chips.
I also own a "old" Marantz CD 50, that i pretend start using again, using a Coaxial out.

Earphones, i just have a modest KZ ZS10 Pro and KB Dark if not wrong. I just wish i could have 2 optical entry's....hoping sound of my Hisense, works well with this DAC, providing good sounf from Netflix and Android Box.

Bought this DAC today on amazon. Hope it arrives one week from today, Already donwload drivers, manuals, FW etc,etc...and i can`t wait using this DAC.

Hope all have you can help me in future, enjoying this model.

Best regards,

Jose, from Portugal.

Last edited:

Mordor

Question:

IS anywhere available some kind of manual more details about all operations and setup`s, for this model?
The official manual looks......basic.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello good afternoon, I want to know if anyone here has paired the DX3 pro + with the "Truthear Zero red" headphones. Thanks and greetings to all

Pretty sure it will work well. -20dB on high gain for my 7Hz Zero is already plenty loud with the Youtube volume slider at 40% on my PC.

Mordor

A little more information about this device:

I struggle a little with commands....is not intuitive and even confuse.Today i brig a friend to show it the DAC and i use BT, it was connected...
the phone says its connected....and ...no sound. Even show DAC quality on screen.

Then my friend just press Line Quit" and magically the sound returns.......wtf?

Can someone tell if is possible the screen show quality audio by default, instead Gain?

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I picked up one of these a few months back to connect a stereo amp via bluetooth for a simple movie projector setup, and it has performed marvelously. I never had any trouble with setup, it was plug and play for me. The bluetooth connection with my Mac laptop just works without hassle every time (unlike prior Topping products I've owned). The audio quality is the best I've heard from this particular amp and speakers combo. The little remote provides convenient volume control, and it works from all angles (unlike prior Topping products I've owned). And I agree with Amir, the retro front display is cool.

Thanks to ASR for helping me find yet another excellent piece of audio gear!

Mordor

Agree.
Working flawless, conected to my TV, and jumping ocasinally to PC or BT phone, unlocked.

Mordor

Stupid question:

Is there any difference output power, with only DAC or Preamp last one at max?
This on context to conect to a external amp?

jools

Forum Donor
Stupid question:

Is there any difference output power, with only DAC or Preamp last one at max?
This on context to conect to a external amp?
No difference - DAC mode just fixes at max output. So DAC mode good if you connect to a preamp and Preamp mode for direct to a power amp (although I have a pot in a box in between to limit the max level for safety).

Mordor

Thank you my friend.
I love this DAC, but i think it should have a little more output to external amp`s....that`s why my question above.

It seems im using it correctly. Pream mode and i can control volume with remote.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you my friend.
I love this DAC, but i think it should have a little more output to external amp`s....that`s why my question above.

It seems im using it correctly. Pream mode and i can control volume with remote.
It does depend on the preamp. Some (actually all if it is genuinely and amp) will be able to increase the voltage from the source.

Whether this results in more power from the amp depends on whether your source has enough volts, together with the gain of the amp to deliver full power. If it does, then increasing the voltage further will just mean the amp clips at a lower volume setting.

(If your source will output more volts than the amps "sensitivity" rating, then more volts are not needed for full power from the amp.)

Mordor

The sources are all digital ones. Maybe except USB/PC, can`t controll them.
Phone is at Max, tv digital out is fixed, also CD can´t control, except analogue output...

I jst wanted to know if there was some kind of difference between DAC pure output, and Pre.
The amp just has one entry, so i depende totally from Topping out.

Thank you!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sources are all digital ones. Maybe except USB/PC, can`t controll them.
Phone is at Max, tv digital out is fixed, also CD can´t control, except analogue output...

I jst wanted to know if there was some kind of difference between DAC pure output, and Pre.
The amp just has one entry, so i depende totally from Topping out.

Thank you!
Right - with a DAC in preamp mode, it can only turn down the level from the normal max level (typically 2V unbalanced or 4V balanced - though some may have the max a little higher)

A traditional analogue preamp though will normally provide some additional gain.

Mordor

Thank you!

WIngedChaos

Hello everyone,

I watched a YT video where a dude "busted myth" about DAC necessity if you have a more or less new motherboard. Mine is MSI Z790 with Realtek® ALC4080 Codec, what I understand to be its DAC. Correct me if I am wrong.

I use speakers Edifier R1800TIII and headphones DT770pro 250 ohm.

What would you suggest between DAC/AMP combo (DX3pro+) and AMP (L30II)?

Shawners

I think its more of an instance of power, and cleaner power that would be the reason to invest in an DAC/Amp if you have a newer motherboard. I also have a newer MSI laptop that has pretty good DAC and headphone amp. I also have the Beyer DT 770 250 ohm headphones. My computer can provide enough power to get the headphones to a nice listening volume for about 80% of my play list, except for some of my classic rock and 80's metal that wasn't recorded the best.

I recently bought a Topping DX3 Pro+ to see the difference. Sound quality did improve a little because of the better DAC, but where I really seen the value was in the available power and extra dynamic range. When I first plugged in to the DX3 Pro+ it was on low gain, and I almost second guessed my purchase. Once I put it in high gain...

Yowzer!!!

Opps there it is!!!

My DT 770's came alive!!! Bass was more defined, especially during the high dynamic parts of music that I listen to. It didn't add bass, it just cleaned it up and made it more defined. An added bonus is now I don't have to keep unplugging my active speakers just to plug in my headphones. I try to keep newer recordings or well mixed recordings at low gain, but when I need it (or want it), I have the extra power.

** Side note, I bought Custom Cans V2 mod kit, and the V2 to V3 conversion kit so I could hear first hand both mods. I highly recommend either one. V2 tightened the bass and increased sub bass slightly, in a very tasteful way. V3 gave them more of a balanced sound, with the mids a little more forward and smoother. I stuck with the V2 mod because it sounds better with my playlist of classic rock and 80's metal. For more critical listening I'll probably swap them to V3. Its a simple process. I apologize for this snippet of off topic info.

Last edited:

WIngedChaos

I think its more of an instance of power, and cleaner power that would be the reason to invest in an DAC/Amp if you have a newer motherboard. I also have a newer MSI laptop that has pretty good DAC and headphone amp. I also have the Beyer DT 770 250 ohm headphones. My computer can provide enough power to get the headphones to a nice listening volume for about 80% of my play list, except for some of my classic rock and 80's metal that wasn't recorded the best.

I recently bought a Topping DX3 Pro+ to see the difference. Sound quality did improve a little because of the better DAC, but where I really seen the value was in the available power and extra dynamic range. When I first plugged in to the DX3 Pro+ it was on low gain, and I almost second guessed my purchase. Once I put it in high gain...

Yowzer!!!

Opps there it is!!!

My DT 770's came alive!!! Bass was more defined, especially during the high dynamic parts of music that I listen to. It didn't add bass, it just cleaned it up and made it more defined. An added bonus is now I don't have to keep unplugging my active speakers just to plug in my headphones. I try to keep newer recordings or well mixed recordings at low gain, but when I need it (or want it), I have the extra power.

** Side note, I bought Custom Cans V2 mod kit, and the V2 to V3 conversion kit so I could hear first hand both mods. I highly recommend either one. V2 tightened the bass and increased sub bass slightly, in a very tasteful way. V3 gave them more of a balanced sound, with the mids a little more forward and smoother. I stuck with the V2 mod because it sounds better with my playlist of classic rock and 80's metal. For more critical listening I'll probably swap them to V3. Its a simple process. I apologize for this snippet of off topic info.
Thank you. That is what I am looking for, really. Except I feel like I would add some volume almost everywhere. I like to get carrier away by music.

Shawners

Lol...I hear you my friend. We all get carried away with this hobby. Keep us in the loop with what you buy and your thoughts.

Top Bottom