• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

User tracking ad platform now baked into Chrome browser

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To its/their credit: MS Edge didn't pester me with ads on sites that now are, thanks to Chrome (even with AdBlock Plus).
Yeah, who thought that MS would ever have a good browser?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the current Edge browser is based upon Chrome. As are Brave, Vivaldi and many others. Firefox is not. I've been using Vivaldi some recently. It has some nice features and is fairly good on privacy.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well the current Edge browser is based upon Chrome.
Yes, and my experience so far is good. Plus, I avoid the evil tentacles of Google.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use uBlock origin as part of my defence against tracking etc.

I also run my own DNS servers at home, so I have setup DNS ad blocking as well.

For DNS blocking I use the lists from https://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because if there business model...
I use Brave when I run across the sites with some issue working with Firefox. Often medical/insurance sites in my particular experience. Not as common an issue with Firefox as once was the case. I may switch to Vivaldi for this, but I don't mind what Brave does anyway.

krumpol

I use fire Firefox and turned off as much as I could on Windows after reading a few guides on CNET and others.
Customizable user.js template by Arkenfox is perhaps the best one I found. All configurable Firefox parameters explained, including couple of hidden ones.

kysa

Customizable user.js template by Arkenfox is perhaps the best one I found. All configurable Firefox parameters explained, including couple of hidden ones.

Such projects (Librewolf, Arkenfox) are, unfortunately, useless against tracking. See creep.js

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, who thought that MS would ever have a good browser?
Kinda funny [<< hilarious type] that we worry about the browsers sniffing us out but the 'tracking' problems start with the OperatingSystem...and don't you dare call it "telemetry"!
There is a simple task to slay the major "ET Call Home" features of WinOS:
Press the Win + I keys, select Privacy & Security, and Diagnostics & feedback under Windows permissions. Select OFF for all options on this screen and every other line-item in the Privacy & Security settings page. Then, follow-thru/stop logging in with a microsoft account and go local sign-in.
imo >> This is a good start.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
imo >> This is a good start.
The next 'silent' elephant has got to be ... NOT google and/or NOT internet trackers ... but your ISP.
Does your ISP really give a flying-guano about https? I think not!
imo >> How about selecting alternate DNS servers instead of the ISP assigned snoops?
Certainly I wouldn't suggest anyone to employ VPNs but truth be told they have grown up and near transparent anymore.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Brave here as well (Android phone and MacBook).
Brave is really only effective if you run behind a VPN.

I was just forced to disable my Adblock Plus on Youtube or be locked out :mad:

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A VPN is largely a waste of time, unless you particularly need to access content that you are unable to access from your own country (TV streams etc.).

Claims that a VPN offers better privacy than a standard SSL connection to a website is a fallacy. Using websites with SSL enable is as secure, if not more so.

Some time ago, I did the following diagram to explain...

1698608540674.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not suggest VPN use?
You mean like the other ideas aren't shabby to begin with?
The recommendation of VPN use is like a 6dB volume increase and borders on paranoia.

I rolled my eyes when someone suggested tor usage but I would not make fun of anyone that makes use of a VPN, when necessary [self included].;)

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean like the other ideas aren't shabby to begin with?
The recommendation of VPN use is like a 6dB volume increase and borders on paranoia.

I rolled my eyes when someone suggested tor usage but I would not make fun of anyone that makes use of a VPN, when necessary [self included].;)
Rather like my thinking. Tor is over the top for normal use. A VPN may but a bit much, but only a bit. Of course many companies make employees use them working from home.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tor is over the top for normal use.
LoL!
I ran a 'relay node' (not an 'exit node') for aide in some int'l refugee/dissident eff activism... I started getting DMCA violation (17 U.S.C. § 512c) notifications from my ISP... The 'safe harbor' clause got me off the hook... until I gave up 9 months later... ever try using tor-over-vpn? A roulette-wheel but strictly for giggles!.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The next 'silent' elephant has got to be ... NOT google and/or NOT internet trackers ... but your ISP.
Does your ISP really give a flying-guano about https? I think not!
imo >> How about selecting alternate DNS servers instead of the ISP assigned snoops?
Certainly I wouldn't suggest anyone to employ VPNs but truth be told they have grown up and near transparent anymore.
Yes, I always select DNS servers not using those from the ISP, and not from Google.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LoL!
I ran a 'relay node' (not an 'exit node') for aide in some int'l refugee/dissident eff activism... I started getting DMCA violation (17 U.S.C. § 512c) notifications from my ISP... The 'safe harbor' clause got me off the hook... until I gave up 9 months later... ever try using tor-over-vpn? A roulette-wheel but strictly for giggles!.
I think I tried like a Tor browser over a VPN. It worked sometimes and sometimes never went anywhere. It was just to see what would happen.

Top Bottom