• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

User tracking ad platform now baked into Chrome browser

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a good read about TorNodes here.
202310_TORconnect.jpg

I never had the desire to find out what the going price of enriched uranium is/was... and raw onions give me heartburn.:facepalm:

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use Opera browser on my phone. No ads, built in easily switchable VPN, no problems.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Chrome's latest update spells things out pretty clearly.

1701868204600.png

I don't know about y'all -- but I mostly use the browser to read stuff, not to "Get Deals" or "Save and Shop".

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 332025

I don't know about y'all -- but I mostly use the browser to read stuff, not to "Get Deals" or "Save and Shop".
Yeah, Edge has those "features" on by default. I figured out how to turn them off.

audio_tony

View attachment 332025

I've no doubt Google are trying to monetise everything, starting with YouTube and now this, as I'm sure these 'deals' will contain referral links which benefit Google.

I've always been a huge fan of Chrome (prior to that Opera) - however I'm considering moving to Firefox now.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really need to find a new browser.. I've been using Pale Moon for a long time now but it keeps getting slower and slower and more and more websites just don't work on it any more.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I really need to find a new browser.. I've been using Pale Moon for a long time now but it keeps getting slower and slower
Don't they all, websites just keep adding more and more ad's and other junk that need to be downloaded with each click. I've been using Firefox for decades now and still pleased with it.
YMMV

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really need to find a new browser.. I've been using Pale Moon for a long time now but it keeps getting slower and slower and more and more websites just don't work on it any more.
I mostly use Firefox and have been using Vivaldi more in the last few weeks. But Google shenanigans will stir things up for everyone next year.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whatsamatter w/uze awl?
Do tell what could possibly be wrong "aiding and doing" your own thinking on your behalf.:confused:
Some feel not wasting their precious brain energy for such rudimentary tasks (as thinking) is pure nirvana.
Oh! You are such a Luddite! :oops: ;)
Who has the time to "to read stuff" in the 21st Century?
There is an app for that!
Have you ever tried to read the online-versions of daily-newspapers?
It just doesn't work for me and I cannot figure out why? Even though wsj' online-reader contains no more ads as the print edition.
Who is the Luddite, now?:facepalm:

Philbo King

Whatsamatter w/uze awl?
Do tell what could possibly be wrong "aiding and doing" your own thinking on your behalf.:confused:
Some feel not wasting their precious brain energy for such rudimentary tasks (as thinking) is pure nirvana.

Oh! You are such a Luddite! :oops: ;)
Who has the time to "to read stuff" in the 21st Century?

Have you ever tried to read the online-versions of daily-newspapers?
It just doesn't work for me and I cannot figure out why? Even though wsj' online-reader contains no more ads as the print edition.
Who is the Luddite, now?:facepalm:
Newspapers? A relic of a prior century.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We -- probably not surprisingly -- still get a paper newspaper. The local rag (Valley News).
Needless to say, it's a vestige of its past self (which was a bit vestigial to begin with).
In fact, we learned last week that, come January, they will publish only a Saturday paper on the weekends -- no Sunday paper no mo'.
Schade.

I -- in full disclosure -- don't read the paper version :rolleyes:, but Mrs. H does.
The big value-add of getting the paper newspaper: our newspaper box is 0.9 miles from our house; down and back (with pretty good rise in elevation from the locus of the paperbox to the ol' manse) makes for a pretty good perambulation. :)

... and, of course, nice views along the way. :cool:

Tried to find a photo of the paperbox and the end of the street online but ... bupkis.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can only wonder what use all my data could actually be to anyone.

Advertisements don't seem to phase me when they do appear.

Some go by so quickly I don't even notice what is being pushed.

And the ones that get through tend to be so random...

I can't remember the last time I consciously bought something after seeing its ad.

Maybe it's all intended to be subliminal.
Everyone feels this way, yet advertising is a bazillion dollar industry.
I suspect advertising is a bit of a bubble, nevertheless, your attention is valuable to someone, even if it isn't to get you to buy something immediately. Data about you may be used to optimize products in development, or encourage you to vote on certain things, or to deprive you of information. Who knows.

In the past, the world's land was colonized, but now the whole earth is settled and partitioned out. Your attention is the next frontier.

It's remarkable how pervasive it is, the ads exploding from my phone on Black Friday were incredible - and I have every ad blocker under the sun, but they still have a way to reach me.

Anyway, is there any reason not to use Firefox? I actually have a Youtube TV membership so I can watch basketball, but I think that's the only video entertainment I watch. Are other browsers better?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was reading a book on Black Friday. No ads appeared ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall, about a decade ago, either google or amazon had said that [even back then] they had the capability to be able easily prompt users that (perhaps they) are about to forget their upcoming anniversary and can further provide suggestions for a present, based on previous purchases coinciding with that anniversary date...
They dumped the whole idea because.... because... ummmm... your Black Friday may be different than your next-door neighbor's same event:confused:.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Advertisements don't seem to phase me when they do appear.

Some go by so quickly I don't even notice what is being pushed.

And the ones that get through tend to be so random...

I can't remember the last time I consciously bought something after seeing its ad.

Maybe it's all intended to be subliminal.
I've learned a lot from looking at the bizarre things they show me. Never bought any of it, though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I was reading a book on Black Friday
What's a book ???

... and, of course, nice views along the way.
Real purdy picture.
When I was still livin up north folks would say all the time,
"oh look, the trees are changing, isn't it purdy".
To which I always answered,
"HELL NO. that's only a sign of the snow and freezing temps to come" :mad:
:(
Never again for me. :p

Top Bottom