• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Review (Speaker)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As some might remember in my recent review of them I liked them a lot but also criticised mainly their elevated treble for my room and taste which I could easily correct with EQ though.

Looking at them and my measurements I thought this might be a rare case were the usually audiophoolian biwiring terminals might be helpful which was confirmed by my listening and future measurements.

So I added on each side a 2.2 Ohm 10 Watt MOX resistor before the tweeter terminal instead of the "golden bridge":p as such a value usually drops the tweeter level around 2 dB on typical tweeters, such MOX resistors are typically used in good quality crossovers:

1712852733912.png

Before doing any measurement I listened to many songs from different eras and genres and noticed that now the tonality seemed fine for me, my room and taste for a much larger percentage of recording than before. Now the 12.1 sounded more like a typical good British tuning and older Dynaudios, a tuning where you just listen to records and forget thinking about tech. To verify the change I also switched from one original to one "modified" loudspeaker listening to pink noise.

Additionally I did some quick measurements, first a kind of listening window spatial average with the moving microphone method and no gating at approximately one meter distance from the front baffle:

1712853183714.png

As it can be seen the original has a bit elevated treble while with the mod its more a "british" with a tad subdued treble and presence region.

I also did an MMM comparison with both L+R loudspeakers original and modified at my listening position compared to the Harman experienced listeners curve which works quite well in my room:

1712853606306.png

Concluding this so simple and cheap mod works surprisingly well in my room and makes me enjoy the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 even without any EQ which is rather the exception. It might be interesting to give it a try also for other owners if they also prefer a more British voicing and if someone like a tad more treble they can try also 1 or 1.5 Ohm instead.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I added on each side a 2.2 Ohm 10 Watt MOX resistor before the tweeter terminal instead of the "golden bridge":p as such a value usually drops the tweeter level around 2 dB on typical tweeters, such MOX resistors are typically used in good quality crossovers:

View attachment 363026
Clean, simple and effective. Love it :cool:

MAB

Major Contributor
As some might remember in my recent review of them I liked them a lot but also criticised mainly their elevated treble for my room and taste which I could easily correct with EQ though.

Looking at them and my measurements I thought this might be a rare case were the usually audiophoolian biwiring terminals might be helpful which was confirmed by my listening and future measurements.

So I added on each side a 2.2 Ohm 10 Watt MOX resistor before the tweeter terminal instead of the "golden bridge":p as such a value usually drops the tweeter level around 2 dB on typical tweeters, such MOX resistors are typically used in good quality crossovers:

View attachment 363026

Before doing any measurement I listened to many songs from different eras and genres and noticed that now the tonality seemed fine for me, my room and taste for a much larger percentage of recording than before. Now the 12.1 sounded more like a typical good British tuning and older Dynaudios, a tuning where you just listen to records and forget thinking about tech. To verify the change I also switched from one original to one "modified" loudspeaker listening to pink noise.

Additionally I did some quick measurements, first a kind of listening window spatial average with the moving microphone method and no gating at approximately one meter distance from the front baffle:

View attachment 363027

As it can be seen the original has a bit elevated treble while with the mod its more a "british" with a tad subdued treble and presence region.

I also did an MMM comparison with both L+R loudspeakers original and modified at my listening position compared to the Harman experienced listeners curve which works quite well in my room:

View attachment 363028

Concluding this so simple and cheap mod works surprisingly well in my room and makes me enjoy the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 even without any EQ which is rather the exception. It might be interesting to give it a try also for other owners if they also prefer a more British voicing and if someone like a tad more treble they can try also 1 or 1.5 Ohm instead.
Great idea!:)
I need to stop complaining about bi-wire/bi-amp terminals!;)

Benji L

View attachment 363026

View attachment 363027

View attachment 363028

Why only a 10 watt resistor? Would a 20 or 25 watt resistor be better for these speakers?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Penelinfi

Why only a 10 watt resistor? Would a 20 or 25 watt resistor be better for these speakers?
Internally they probably use 5W or 10W resistors. Yes, you can heat up the resistors a lot if you thrash the speakers, but by then you're also most likely blowing up the woofers or tweeters .
This outboard resistor would be much better cooled too

Top Bottom