• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

Scytales

Forum Donor
Once you get used to going to concerts, then you figure out what level is realistic.
That's the single most important statement in this thread so far. I fully concur with it.

The importance of that statement couldn't be stressed enough.

When one is accustomed to classical music listened to a concert venue, setting the level at home on the hifi become a second nature.

Some chamber music listened from the first row in a lively venue could sound louder than a full orchestra listened from somewhere in the 2nd half of a large concert hall.

Nothing can replace the experience of the real thing as fas as the matter of setting loudness is concerned.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Last Saturday I went to watch a recital of Miserere and some other songs St Martin in the Fields, London. It was completely acoustic, no microphones, no amplifiers.

It sounded incredible, and the singers were amazing, but being a philistine, that listens to a lot of rock, pop and dance, I wished it was louder. :)

Is there supposed to be a large quantity of bass/low frequency response? I ask because I have the bass backed off and the top frequencies very much boosted so as to make the instruments more live sounding.
In concert you can feel the low notes on the basses as well as things like kettle drums. Unlike with Pop or Rock there's not constantly a lot of bass, but to get the proper impact your speakers should be able to go deep and loud.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In concert you can feel the low notes on the basses as well as things like kettle drums. Unlike with Pop or Rock there's not constantly a lot of bass, but to get the proper impact your speakers should be able to go deep and loud.
I have air pressure now in the cups of my headphones when the kettle drums and other low frequency capable instruments are going full tilt. I think I can have them do more too. No problem there. This will be very interesting now that I am using natural reference instruments as the standard to create a listenable PEQ setting for when I listen to rock and pop music. :D

Daverz

Major Contributor
Last Saturday I went to watch a recital of Miserere and some other songs St Martin in the Fields, London. It was completely acoustic, no microphones, no amplifiers.

It sounded incredible, and the singers were amazing, but being a philistine, that listens to a lot of rock, pop and dance, I wished it was louder. :)

It doesn't surprise me that a small acapella choral group would not get rock 'n' roll loud. On the other hand, I wonder what effect something like Tallis's 40-part motet Spem in alium would have in a space like that.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okidoki... After listening to classical music and increasing the bass response on the PEQ I now find that with pop and jazz music that I need more high frequency response after adding more bass frequencies for classical music. So here is the final PEQ setting that works for classical, pop and jazz.>>>
Screenshot 2024-04-03 181628.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
It doesn't surprise me that a small acapella choral group would not get rock 'n' roll loud. On the other hand, I wonder what effect something like Tallis's 40-part motet Spem in alium would have in a space like that.
I've recorded polychoral music in a biggish venue. Not really all that loud. Remember that it's unamplified. Folks accustomed to Neil Young levels of amplification would not be blown away. On the other hand, someone hearing the finale of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony could be blown away if they're sitting in the right location.

Feel free to crank this up to 11:

CT Man

I'm just getting into classical @ a late age and I'm a bit confused if it is better really loud or very quiet. I know many like it very subtle and others are head bangers. What is going on here for you peeps? How loud is it in concert usually and what should I expect from my headphone gear to make it like a real life concert? Is it normal to go really loud like I do for rock and pop music?
noisy-moments-1592563972-list-handheld-0.jpg

A-court-gathering-to-hear-music.webp

Baroque music tends to have less dynamic range and details can usually be heard at low, moderate and high volumes. It can work really well as background music, if you can avoid getting sucked into concentrated listening. Solo, duet, trio, quartet and other small ensembles usually have a more limited dynamic range too and can mostly be enjoyed at moderate volumes. But from classical to romantic to modern and beyond there can be a huge dynamic range with house-shaking transients. I prefer a volume level where I can hear the detail of all instruments during the quietest passages, which means it's really loud during peak dynamic range. Especially if you have to overcome background noise, like when I'm in my work home in the city.

Try Debussy's "La Mer" performed by the Lucerne Festival Orchestra conducted by Claudio Abbado: turn up the volume enough to hear details during the quiet opening, then see how loud it gets as the piece develops. Or try Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I have been a classical music lover since my childhood, so a few years!
There are two types of listening I do
- Background music, while I am working or doing something
- Serious listening.
Background music, the volume is low. Otherwise, medium to loudish levels for serious listening, otherwise I may miss something.
Once you get used to going to concerts, then you figure out what level is realistic.
I listen to classical music at the same levels I hear it live from the front few rows. My SPL meter says this puts dynamic peaks/crescendos in the high 80 range. That's quite a bit quieter than my own and friends acoustic instruments sound when we are playing together just an arm's reach apart from each other. I wear musician's earplugs when playing flute and piccolo, but not for alto or bass flute.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to classical music at the same levels I hear it live from the front few rows. My SPL meter says this puts dynamic peaks/crescendos in the high 80 range. That's quite a bit quieter than my own and friends acoustic instruments sound when we are playing together just an arm's reach apart from each other. I wear musician's earplugs when playing flute and piccolo, but not for alto or bass flute.
Imagine what Rock drummers and guitarists need to endure at large venues! :facepalm:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Indeed. After they do it enough, it doesn't hurt anymore... imagine that!
Except those around them. There is a drummer with rock experience playing with our elementary school group, doesn't seem to be aware of how loud he is playing.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Except those around them. There is a drummer with rock experience playing with our elementary school group, doesn't seem to be aware of how loud he is playing.
Even with acoustic instruments like violin or flute, the loudness to the ear of the player can hit or exceed 90-100 dB SPL. Many violin players and other professional musicians have measurable hearing damage from the cumulative effect of hours of practice whether solo or in ensembles. Yet sadly, many schools and educators are unaware of this, they think the problem only happens with amplified music.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, That is a very good point. I knew a accomplished versatile drummer and the first thing he answered when I asked what makes a really good drummer and he said feel and intonation.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I commented earlier saying I think it ought to be loud... later found myself listening to a bunch of Jordi Savall stuff at a pretty quiet level while I worked. There is something to the "quiet, relaxing" thing.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I commented earlier saying I think it ought to be loud... later found myself listening to a bunch of Jordi Savall stuff at a pretty quiet level while I worked. There is something to the "quiet, relaxing" thing.
Right, but classical music has such wide dynamic range. Even small ensembles. You should be able to hear occasional incidental noises from the musicians moving & breathing, as you can when sitting in the first few rows. And their quietest PPP passages may be around that level, so you want to be able to hear them. Yet this puts the crescendos close to 90 dB SPL, plus or minus. That won't cause discomfort or hearing damage because they are so brief with average levels a good 20 dB quieter. The point is, dynamics are part of the music and its artistic expression. Not just the wide overall range (macro-dynamics), but dynamic subtleties of technique (micro-dynamics). They should not be squashed!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okidoki... After listening to classical music and increasing the bass response on the PEQ I now find that with pop and jazz music that I need more high frequency response after adding more bass frequencies for classical music. So here is the final PEQ setting that works for classical, pop and jazz.>>>View attachment 361178
Almost up to full smiley face :)

Top Bottom