• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are all the dedicated streamer reviews?

navin

I couldn't open the Jpgs on diyAudio (because of Java script).
I tend to like your Khadas idea, but it seems needing a fan ? I'm not a fan of that ;)

:D:D I don't like fans in audio equipment either. Audio/Video streaming does not need a lot of processing power so maybe an RPi will do too.

You can check out the Rasa Media Player here
Rasa Player (rasaaudio.com)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
This product genre makes about sense to me as the "cd transports" did back in the day. So, no sense whatsoever. :)

navin

This product genre makes about sense to me as the "cd transports" did back in the day. So, no sense whatsoever. :)

How come? I think a single media player/manager/server makes for a compact system.

If it can send VIdeo out via HDMI to an AVR and audio out via i2S or SPDIF or USB to a DAC and then to a stereo amp it could serve both music and movie needs.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How come? I think a single media player/manager/server makes for a compact system.

If it can send VIdeo out via HDMI to an AVR and audio out via i2S or SPDIF or USB to a DAC and then to a stereo amp it could serve both music and movie needs.

My understanding of this thread was that it was about dedicated audio streamers. It is of course good to have a digital output so that can be used when it is to be connected for instance to an AVR, but products like for instance the Auralic streamer mentioned in this thread is obviously marketed towards people with high end hifi systems, who are just as likely to connect it to a traditional stereo amplifier, thus needing a DAC in addition to the streamer. So it should have a DAC and analog outputs onboard. In the same way a CD transport without a dac makes little sense, so does a dedicated audio streaming device without a DAC make little sense (to me at least). :) It's a product that tries to make money out of the fact that some people believe that an external, 5,000USD dac will improve the sound.

Streaming products that are in essence a pre-amplifier with streaming capabilities (having both analog and digital inputs and outputs) makes more sense to me, and are immensly more versatile than a pure streamer.

navin

My understanding of this thread was that it was about dedicated audio streamers.
So it should have a DAC and analog outputs onboard.

I get your point. This is in fact what I am also looking for. Having the option to stream video means that I can eliminate my Apple TV box. Why have 2 boxes when you can have 1.

There are 3 options:
  1. Take an RPi (3B+ or 4) and mate that to any number of DAC HATs. Allo's DigiOne and USBridge as well as the RASAaudio link posted earlier are excellent examples of this. There are a limited number of DAC options (Allo has one using the PCM5122). I could not find one using the ESS 9038Pro or AKM 4499 chipsets.
  2. Mating the ESS 9038Pro I2S module from Audiophonics to a basic ARM Cortex based SBC. The ESS 9038Pro I2S module has TosLink and SPDIF inputs built-in and USB and BT can be added using daughter boards. The challenge here is that I do not know which SBC is compatible with this I2S module.
  3. Mating the EVO-SABRE DAC 2x ES9038Q2M to an RPi4 (the kit is linked below). The challenge being how to also use this streamer for video (via HDMI). AUDIOPHONICS EVO-SABRE DAC Kit DIY DAC 2xES9038Q2M Fully Balanced & Streamer for Raspberry Pi 4 - Audiophonics

I don't think that for audio and video streaming (either from the internet or local hard disk) one needs anything more powerful than an RPi. The Khadas VIM3 PRO board, for example, is more geared towards graphics processing than audio/video streaming.

I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction with either more DAC options for the RPi or some SBC that would be compatible with the ES9038Pro I2S board linked to earlier.

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Streaming products that are in essence a pre-amplifier with streaming capabilities (having both analog and digital inputs and outputs) makes more sense to me, and are immensly more versatile than a pure streamer.
Whilst I agree that the thread is about dedicated streamers, like many threads it has grown to address related issues/products.

In actual fact I disagree with you on the issue of versatility. A streamer without a DAC is more versatile as you can then add in a DAC of your choosing. Also if your integrated streamer dies, it dies. You lose the streamer and the DAC. If you keep things separate you can replace one part of the chain as and when necessary.

It's also a hell of a lot cheaper. My RPi + D10s cost back £140. RPi + DAC HAT (I still consider this a "separates" solution) can cost less than £100. You simply can't get integrated streamers for that price. I know there are lots of other factors, but to claim that the provision of a separate streamer makes "no sense whatsoever" is fine as an opinion, but isn't justified by the facts.

Willem

Major Contributor
I disagree. Streaming technology and protocols plus app availability are likely to change pretty fast. Already some older streamers are no longer supported because their manufacturers cannot keep up with new streaming services for which they would have to develop their own apps. It is for that very reason that I opted for the widely supported Chromecast Audio. If Google stops support, I will have wasted only $35. I use it with an RME ADI-2 DAC, and the sound quality is superb.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I disagree. Streaming technology and protocols plus app availability are likely to change pretty fast. Already some older streamers are no longer supported because their manufacturers cannot keep up with new streaming services for which they would have to develop their own apps. It is for that very reason that I opted for the widely supported Chromecast Audio. If Google stops support, I will have wasted only $35. I use it with an RME ADI-2 DAC, and the sound quality is superb.

So you disagree that a streamer should have a DAC, but you personally use a streamer with a built-in DAC?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Whilst I agree that the thread is about dedicated streamers, like many threads it has grown to address related issues/products.

In actual fact I disagree with you on the issue of versatility. A streamer without a DAC is more versatile as you can then add in a DAC of your choosing. Also if your integrated streamer dies, it dies. You lose the streamer and the DAC. If you keep things separate you can replace one part of the chain as and when necessary.

It's also a hell of a lot cheaper. My RPi + D10s cost back £140. RPi + DAC HAT (I still consider this a "separates" solution) can cost less than £100. You simply can't get integrated streamers for that price. I know there are lots of other factors, but to claim that the provision of a separate streamer makes "no sense whatsoever" is fine as an opinion, but isn't justified by the facts.

Okay, let me rephrase. Selling a dedicated streaming transport based on the grounds that it will increase sound quality makes no sense to me. A rasperry pi isn't a streaming transport, it's a small computer.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Okay, let me rephrase. Selling a dedicated streaming transport based on the grounds that it will increase sound quality makes no sense to me. A rasperry pi isn't a streaming transport, it's a small computer.
If an RPi is configured with the likes of Moode or Volumio, I see no differnece between it and a streaming transport. It does the same job.

On the issue of sound quality, I'm not entirely sure who's made the claim here that a streaming transport is superior to an integrated streamer. The only time this would be the case is if the DAC in the integrated streamer is broken.

People trying to sell a dedicated streamer that they claim will increase SQ is precisely the type of myth that we seek to challenge.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I use the digital output of the CCA.

I understand that, but as the chromecast audio does a good job of proving, also supporting analog outputs for those who need that, doesn't really cost much. So in a 5,000USD transport, one could argue there's not much economical incentive to not include a DAC and analog output for those who have that use case. There is clearly some other agenda at play.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If an RPi is configured with the likes of Moode or Volumio, I see no differnece between it and a streaming transport. It does the same job.

On the issue of sound quality, I'm not entirely sure who's made the claim here that a streaming transport is superior to an integrated streamer. The only time this would be the case is if the DAC in the integrated streamer is broken.

People trying to sell a dedicated streamer that they claim will increase SQ is precisely the type of myth that we seek to challenge.

Yes, and that's specifically the type of product that I don't think makes sense (as opposed to your repurposed RPi). I probably wasn't too clear on that point.

navin

A streamer without a DAC is more versatile as you can then add in a DAC of your choosing.

I have another reason to separate the streamer from the DAC.

An RPi based streamer and an associated microcontroller need an SMPS. A DAC on the other hand prefers a good linear power supply. By separating the two you could have power supplies designed for the task in each case.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If I connect a hard disk with video files will this streamer recognise it and play it via the HDMI port?
That would depend on the software you put on the Pi. PiCorePlayer wouldn't, but something like LibreELEC probably would. I haven't checked to see whether they work out of the box with that DAC, or whether tweaks are required, and I don't have one to try it on.
No - it doesn't have an HDMI output. It uses an HDMI connector for I2S, but that's no use for video. I wish whoever came up with that idea (PS Audio?) had repurposed a connector that's less common on A/V equipment as it's a recipe for confusion. DisplayPort might have been electrically similar and slightly less confusing.

navin

I don't expect an audible sound quality difference between a DAC based on the ESS ES9038PRO DAC Module I2S and a DAC using 2xES9038Q2M Fully Balanced chipsets and I suspect the complete product will cost about the same too.
DAC DIY - Tous nos DAC pour vos projets DIY - Audiophonics

Soncoz uses a 2xES9038Q2M Fully Balanced set in their SGD1 and SMSL uses a single ES9038PRO in their SU9. The "hump" everyone talks about in the Q2M can be tamed (if it proves to be audible).

I expect upgrading of the power supply (of the Audiophonics EVO-SABRE DAC Kit) especially for the DAC to make a bigger difference.

Top Bottom