• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speakers gave you the *wow* factor?

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mcintosh XRT 2.1k... for $130k a pair... wow is the least that I would expect.... but yes... there was definitely WOW.
IMG_9618_5f4109db-4258-405c-8c5a-9821ee324e99_1024x1024.jpg

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There were several occasions, and really what drew me deeper into the hobby:
  • One of my first 'wow' experiences was listening to Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in a treated listening room on the old Altec-Lansing 604-8K (I believe) loudspeakers built into huge ported boxes. Very narrow HF directivity loudspeaker, but on-axis I felt enveloped with the sound and got goosebumps :) Not sure if I'd feel the same today, though! :D
  • Hearing Dali Mentor 5 towers and Dali Mentor Menuets at one of the first HiFi shows I attended years ago - probably first good HiFi loudspeakers I heard, I thought they blew-away much more expensive systems,
  • First time using room correction EQ on my old monitors (JBL LSR305), and later, first proper subwoofer integration with my mains
These days I have a feeling there won't be much more 'wow' moments in stereo for me, I feel I'm well into diminishing returns already.
Perhaps some day with multichannel... :)

DMill

Forum Donor
I‘ll play. The Bose Lifestyle system I bought when I got my first real job. I know they are awful. As I started learning about audio I had a boss who had B&W 800s. Again, they are not gonna get a ton of love here on ASR. They seemed impressive to me at the time. Just being honest. it’s easy to knock brands like these for being over-hyped or over-priced, but for many of us in the masses they showed that there was something more than a boom box. So I guess I give them credit for introducing me to hi-Fi.

Plcamp

The first time I heard horn speakers was ‘Johnny Winter and live’ played in a guy’s large basement where he had Klipschorns.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My 708Ps still give me that 'Holy Shit these are amazing' feeling regularly.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
My Neumann KH420’s.

riker1384

PSB Image B25. First good, pretty accurate modern speaker I owned and heard, coming from hand-me-down vintage speakers and muddy Vandersteen 1C's. I felt like I could hear a hundred times as much detail as I had ever heard before.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Altec A7's back in the 1970's. Definitely the "wow factor" and the best & most impressive speakers I'd ever heard.

I probably wouldn't have said "perfection," and I don't know how I'd rate them today. I have a feeling I'd still like 'em!

altec_a7-500-8_old_2.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ME Geithain RL901. Played some jazz at a dealer and the sound was fantastic, almost like live.

Grimm Audio LS1be with sub at Highend in Munich. Not a real wow factor but after listening to a soprano with closed eye I just wanted to give applause but then realized that it was not live.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Ok, I'll play too.
I first experienced a heavenly sound through the B&W 805S.
Didn't have any money to speak of as a student. So I went for the sennheiser hd650. The cd player at the dealer was an arcam. It cost me a while to reproduce that sound ;)

The second time was the Beolab 5. Incredible imaging and effortless bass.
Couldn't afford them
:D

The 3rd time was the Beolab 9. Couldn't afford them new either! But I could stretch to 2/3's of the asking price on a demo pair. The B&O retailers were very kind and patient with me, but told me that was a stretch too far. Gave them my number in case they received a 2nd hand pair for that price. Got a phone call from them 2 weeks later for the ex demo pair!
:D:D

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
My Dual JTR 2400ULF Captivator Subs. First time I ever felt actual 20hz and below outside of real world experience. The rumble of engines, the slap of thunder, the sound of large caliber guns, the feel of an earth quake. The slam and punch of low hz drums/brass/organs. Still amazes me. Second place was the first and every time afterwards of hearing Martin Logan Electrostatic speakers

A7D96304-B9C9-4E38-BCDF-EAC35D70974C.jpeg.

Top Bottom