• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are 1970's receivers so valuable now?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yeah... prices have certainly gone up for these 1970's monsters. Although I really do wish I held on to my Pioneer SX1980 which I had fully restored. It was an absolute brute that sounded 'the business' ! Really do miss it !
Brutal! Brutal good-looking, brutal lots oftast vintage power. When there is even a dedicated Wikipedia link with that Pioneer SX1980, you can suspect that it was something special::)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Speaking of slide rules, a while back as a gag I took my slide rule to work with me and in the middle of a engineering meeting when something needed to be calculated quickly I whipped out my slide rule. I got the strangest looks!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Was Marantz Japanese in the mid ‘70s, US owned, or owned by Phillips?

Standard Radio Corporation (SRC) of Japan was building most of Marantz's range in the 1970s, as Marantz was owned by Superscope since 1964 and their manufacture was primitive at best and they needed to be competitive with Japanese manufacture or collapse. In fact, the first totally SRC designed and produced product was the Marantz 1060 amplifier- it had only rubber stamp approval from Marantz (Superscope). Without SRC, Marantz would have disappeared completely by 1972/3 I reckon.

Philips rescued Marantz in 1980, proceeded to wreck it for a while, then resurrected it, and went on to build the best gear badged Marantz before selling their stake in two deals, some in 2002 and the final holding in 2008 to D&M holdings which in turn got acquired by Sound United in 2017.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I absolutely understand the allure of vintage recivers, BUT the top models, the most sought after with a lot of power are, to say the least, in my eyes quite expensive. That compares with how many nice clean watts you can get at a reasonable price today if you buy a new modern amplifier.

Aesthetically, the looks, okay there vintage (in my eyes) has the upper hand. But why not combine the best of both worlds? For example, take one:

Yamaha CR-600. A 30 W receiver. I think it looks good.:)
yamaha_cr-600_stereo_receiver.jpg

Combine Yamaha CR-600 with a modern class D amp that drives some subwoofer / bass modules. Divide the signal via miniDSP. If possible (considering, regarding, ventilation, cabling) throw the ugly class D amplifier in a cupboard or closet. With HP-LP filter and let the Yamaha CR-600 work from 80-100 Hz
and upwards (relieve it by working with the subwoofer frequencies) and together with suitable speakers, with sufficiently high sensitivity so ....hm for most it would work great as the main HiFi solution.
But it boils, as usual, down on the speakers where the most money gunpowder is to be put.:)

Here, see attached picture # 45 in the thread, measurement on Yamaha CR-600. A CR-600 does not cost astronomical sums.

The same setup can of course also be something for tube enthusiasts to consider. Let a modern class D amp take care of the lowest frequencies.

MiniDSP also provides the option of EQ, which still, at least for subwoofers, is always needed if you want to get a decent sound.:)

This is, appearance yes ugly, but affordable:

Not stylish but effective, powerful:

Edit:
Or if you do not want to bother about it. Yamaha CR-600 in the hobby room, the bedroom. Only modern HIFI stuff in the main HiFi solution. There are many different ways to combine new and old.:)

I know it can be a bit tricky if you use more than one source, for example streamed with the solution above, but then use a vintage receiver as a pre amp. For example HK 330B, see attached picture....Saw now that Yamaha seems to have pre out. Missed it, see attached picture.:)
(by the way if their preformance, said receiver's, regardning level of distortion + noise is low enough is mostly a matter of taste)

Only creativity sets the limits.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-02_100131.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-02_100131.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 812cef67b9b1872df0fbdeae316e20f2.jpg
    812cef67b9b1872df0fbdeae316e20f2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Harman-Kardon-330B-50078-(2) (1).jpeg
    Harman-Kardon-330B-50078-(2) (1).jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 486469305_8ca70882-8df5-4ba9-b820-cdf4ddec149e.jpg
    486469305_8ca70882-8df5-4ba9-b820-cdf4ddec149e.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

600_OHM

Part of me would really like to have a good silver-faced receiver with slide-rule dial, and all the satisfyingly dampened, clicky and weighted and rotary controls, toggles and push button switches - a "Busy Box" for adults? But it would mostly sit on the shelf looking pretty, maybe get used as a radio once in awhile.
Straight up truth! But you can't let it sit there looking pretty! Even if you never intend to move the controls at all, one knows that you MUST move all the controls back and forth, push all the buttons - perhaps with the power off so you can go full range. Heh heh.

You know - just to keep the pot wipers and switches "exercised" for good health. :) Find any excuse...

My tastes also got more involved when more beveled edges were designed in as dust-catchers. Cuz' they too need a gentle finger swipe now and then....

Maybe because I was involved in the so-called "prog-rock" (ugh, bad name) movement, I got my version of "air synth" on when rocking my receiver controls. Maybe Tangerine Dream....

I need one of these repros of an EMS VCS3 synth to get my 70's receiver busybox groove back -

*** WARNING ** MAJOR IMPULSE ** don't have your volume up!

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Standard Radio Corporation (SRC) of Japan was building most of Marantz's range in the 1970s, as Marantz was owned by Superscope since 1964 and their manufacture was primitive at best and they needed to be competitive with Japanese manufacture or collapse. In fact, the first totally SRC designed and produced product was the Marantz 1060 amplifier- it had only rubber stamp approval from Marantz (Superscope). Without SRC, Marantz would have disappeared completely by 1972/3 I reckon.

Philips rescued Marantz in 1980, proceeded to wreck it for a while, then resurrected it, and went on to build the best gear badged Marantz before selling their stake in two deals, some in 2002 and the final holding in 2008 to D&M holdings which in turn got acquired by Sound United in 2017.
Think my Marantz receiver was made by Superscope. Phillips are an odd company, never seem to learn from their past mistakes, Sony are similar in outlook. Think Phillips must have their own home market sewn up and don’t need to worry too much about the competition?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need one of these repros of an EMS VCS3 synth to get my 70's receiver busybox groove back -
VCS3 was quite the show stopper back in the day. Francis Monkman (Curved Air) played the machine, and got some really interesting (I thought) sounds out of it. To me, it had a very 'liquid' depth to it, if that makes any sense. One of my favorites -- along with the Mellotron, which was really a kludge and extremely difficult to consistently keep working.

VCS3-ad-price.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Think my Marantz receiver was made by Superscope. Phillips are an odd company, never seem to learn from their past mistakes, Sony are similar in outlook. Think Phillips must have their own home market sewn up and don’t need to worry too much about the competition?
Superscope owned the Marantz brand -- but, as @restorer-john noted, Standard Radio built the stuff.
In the mid-70s, Superscope also sold some receivers (as well as compact/all-in-one hifis) under their own brand name -- but also built by Standard.
Many of them featured an unusual pink dial lighting theme :)
6063e8491639a140a9dde626da48dc89.jpg

Others were more obviously "Marantz-oid", right down to the sliding balance control :)

309717-vintage_amplifierreceiver_superscope_marantz_r1270.jpg

No "Gyro-touch" tuning, though! ;)

Standard did sell components under their own brand name in many markets, as well:

38753a49-efc7-49d4-9e38-1e9c5fc736a3.jpg

Here are some fairly similar "Superscope" branded components, for comparison.

superscope_a-245_stereo_amplifier.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

(all borrowed images from teh webz)

As an aside, Superscope was also, for many years, the US distributor of Sony tape products. :)

vinAd70Sony252D2.jpg

source: https://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd70.html

Superscope also sold Sony-made tape equipment under their own brand name.
Oh what a tangled web... ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Superscope also made anamorphic lenses for movie presentations.
Thus the name :)
Yeah - I was gonna go there, but I figured I'd "said" enough already :)
Good point, though!

What happened to Superscope?

Still around, last I knew -- at least sort of. :)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what OP meant buy valuable but if in reference to money its simple ...
Value of $1 from 1970 to 2022
The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.94% per year between 1970 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 645.13%.
And this is using the absurd hedonic inflation model of those who actually report our inflation numbers.

Last edited:

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Superscope owned the Marantz brand -- but, as @restorer-john noted, Standard Radio built the stuff.
In the mid-70s, Superscope also sold some receivers (as well as compact/all-in-one hifis) under their own brand name -- but also built by Standard.
Many of them featured an unusual pink dial lighting theme :)
6063e8491639a140a9dde626da48dc89.jpg

Others were more obviously "Marantz-oid", right down to the sliding balance control :)

309717-vintage_amplifierreceiver_superscope_marantz_r1270.jpg
I wonder did Standard also manufacture the lower end Pioneer receivers in that era? I had a Pioneer SX-580 (purchased new from Circuit City U.S. in about 1979) and the cabinet looks a lot like these Superscope branded receivers.
pioneer.png

I wanted a "better" model Pioneer at the time but being in high school that was all I could afford. Used that thing for many years, however. Still had it 12 years ago when I moved across the country (Florida to California) and ended up leaving it with a pile of other stuff I couldn't fit into the moving van by the side of the road - I feel bad about that even today...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wonder did Standard also manufacture the lower end Pioneer receivers in that era? I had a Pioneer SX-580 (purchased new from Circuit City U.S. in about 1979) and the cabinet looks a lot like these Superscope branded receivers.
View attachment 210447
I wanted a "better" model Pioneer at the time but being in high school that was all I could afford. Used that thing for many years, however. Still had it 12 years ago when I moved across the country (Florida to California) and ended up leaving it with a pile of other stuff I couldn't fit into the moving van by the side of the road - I feel bad about that even today...

Not to my knowledge, no.
paging @restorer-john ;)

I had one of those for a while (dump find); ultimately gave it away to someone who had a good (i.e., a better) use for it than did I. :)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was very seduced by 70s receivers...

But years later - I need to divest of my collection... I've stored them all for years... Almost never used them. And now, I bet none of them work properly... While my collection is probably but a drop in a bucket compared to @mhardy6647 ... still, it was sweet gathering them all up... I've no photos to share but I do have some comments. So in no particular order:

• Yamaha CR3020 - Soooooooooooooo BIG. One can easily attach legs to it and use it as a coffee table. Never liked it in use... Just never grabbed me.
  • Sansui G971 - Black faced version of the G9700. 200W of POWAH! Loved it. Loved looking at it. Loved listening to it.
  • Marantz 18 - Quiet sexyness to it... The scope tube was the star of the show... Love to watch it dance.
  • Scott 399 - All lit up with that amber glow in the evening... Panty dropping good looks.
  • Sansui Six - The littlest of the trio. Sounds good. Works good. I bet of all these it will be the one with everthing working and sounding as it's supposed to
  • Pioneer SX-737 - It got me into the obsession - oh so many years ago... Other than that... meh
  • Pioneer SX-770 - Black face; green glow >>> pure nostalgia.
I had at one time SX-1280, SX-1010, SX-1080, a few Sherwood, NAD, and Optonicas too - and they were all nice enough... but for the pure fun of a 70s receiver - nothing beats that G971 - beefy! Made for playing Zeppelin.

Last edited:

600_OHM

One of my favorites -- along with the Mellotron, which was really a kludge and extremely difficult to consistently keep working.

That was it's secret power! No two notes were ever truly the same. Brought a whole new level to my 70's gear.

So funky and electrical / mechanical nightmare. Every performance had a "personality". Ahhh..

A great in-depth look at an M400 repair / restore. Really brings it home.

Glint

Likely because they look gorgeous (sometimes!) and nothing of the sort is made anymore, nor could it be for any kind of 'sane' price. All those knobs and dials really invite the fingers and the eyes. The prices however do not reflect the performance, especially on the un-serviced stuff which has one foot in a skip by now.

600_OHM

My life's ambition was to drop out of high-school, and become a stereo salesman at my local boutique audio shop - that even had bench-techs slinging solder!

BUT, I was going to be the "honest" salesman, and instead of trying to upsell the clueless beyond the "house brand", I would take the time to evaluate their needs, budget and so forth and perhaps the no-name house-brand was all they needed.

"Into David Cassidy? Let's step over to the GuldenTone Whammer series."

Would have been fired in a week and should have stayed in school. Glad I did! :)

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
My life's ambition was to drop out of high-school, and become a stereo salesman at my local boutique audio shop - that even had bench-techs slinging solder!

BUT, I was going to be the "honest" salesman, and instead of trying to upsell the clueless beyond the "house brand", I would take the time to evaluate their needs, budget and so forth and perhaps the no-name house-brand was all they needed.

"Into David Cassidy? Let's step over to the GuldenTone Whammer series."

Would have been fired in a week and should have stayed in school. Glad I did! :)
Having tried for a while to earn a living by Commision only, honest and salesman don’t go together. Didn’t stay for too long.

Top Bottom